Royalblau from Canada *pic heavy*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royalblau from Canada *pic heavy*

Don't have many good photo's, will probably use this to add some pictures as the modding process goes.

**more pics on page 3**

It's a 1987 325es from Texas originally, brought to Vancouver in 1992, has never been in an accident, drives pretty mint and has a full "I" driveline (m20b25, getrag 260) with a 2.93 LSD as found in the "es"

It's a true Royalblau car, I absolutely love the color and the paint is in good shape. This past winter I've spent it adding my pieced together turbo kit which is in the finishing stages, just buttoning up the tuning and should be back on the road next month, can't wait to detail it and get it shining nice.

I bought it in stockish form about 2 years ago, previous owner was a young kid and did a lot of shitty tinkering and electrical crap with it so I've spent countless hours fixing silly wiring, sourcing faulty wires, etc. It's finally quite well sorted.

PO cut up an e46 arm rest and center console to make it work, I've changed it back to an e30 center console but it's too dark in my garage for newer pictures. Also have an upgraded steering wheel that isn't seen in this pic.

Recently picked up a set of US elipsoids that will be replacing the sealed headlights. Also won't have the highs anymore as the Bloxxx air inducers will be taking the place - only required for the passenger side, but figured may as well do both sides to look proper.

At my folks place in the Okanagan (Interior BC, go visit - it's gorgeous!!)

The old home

The new home and stage for turbo build

Start the turbo build! Tearing everything apart down to the bottom end to replace head gasket, ARP head studs, etc - basically everything in the engine bay is now new.

New headgasket (Elring) and Garagistic 80a Poly mounts

Rebuilt cylinder head, ARP head studs, Gates timing belt and Gates water pump

Intake back on, new belts, turbo mounted (used an adapter to push it about 3 inches farther towards the fender from the head)

Intercooler mounted

Tim's Turbo's 8.5cm .63 A/R exhaust housing mounted to my Holset H1C. Can't wait to hear this thing spool, should be very quick! Turbo was rebuilt with the upgraded seal.

Comparison from the new exhaust housing to the stock 18.5cm exhaust housing. Obviously, way smaller.

Peak a boo. Got the HKS SSQV for a good deal, really hope it's not too loud, I'm 30+ years old and don't need or want the attention.

Welded the aluminum charge pipes on the driver side to reduce couplers and clamps. Don't mind the silly looking filter, it is temporary.

I've obviously skipped over a lot of parts and processes here but this is how she sits today.

Just have some tuning, tuning, tuning to do. It's running the DIYautotune MS standalone PNP ECU, 36lb injectors, 300lph fuel pump and stock ignition, for now (will be upgrading to wasted spark prior to dyno tune).

Will update as I go, hopefully will get it driving and boosting in the next couple weeks and get more/better pictures to share.
    Last edited by E30-Ellerman; 05-25-2017, 11:23 PM.
    2016 F-150
    1987 Royalblau 325es B25 turbocharged

Build thread here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=405594

Impressive work! And beautiful car as well.

I hope it's just the photo but the front looks a bit tilted, maybe because of the mentioned accident?

Subscribed : )

Comment

Thanks! Yes it's just the picture making it appear tilted, crappy picture taking lol. It's never been in an accident from Carfax/Carproof and from what I can see from tearing into it quite a bit. All original fenders, no bondo found.
      2016 F-150

Comment

I dunno what it is about blue early models... but they look fantastic. Royalblau, Cirrus, Cosmos, Gletscher - all great colors on an E30.
        1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

Beautiful car! Very tasteful, looking forward to seeing the turbo build completed :)

Comment

^^ Thank you very much guys, appreciate the comments. Will post up more pics and running videos shortly, out of town this week then will get back to it.
            2016 F-150

Comment

looks awesome! love the color!
              -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
              91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
              08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
              04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
              Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
              Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Beautiful build man!

Comment

Hey man when you rebuilt the head did you change springs and rocker arms and valves and such to heavy duty or just oem spec etc???

91' Alpine II 318is Slick top - Totaled
                  89' Lachssilber 325is - :p

Comment

Originally posted by Slicktop_serg View Post
                    Hey man when you rebuilt the head did you change springs and rocker arms and valves and such to heavy duty or just oem spec etc???
                    Just used OEM spec parts, I don't plan to run huge boost, probably keep it below 14 lbs and I have a local guy who has 10+ 885 heads if something should go wrong. (He's a hoarder)
                    2016 F-150

Comment

Great looking early chassis, still looks classy only I dislike are the e36 comfort seats but a simple 4 bolts and 4 nuts and out they come..
                      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Fantastic car!

I love that you moved the turbine a little away from the head - spark plugs seem to be a pain in the ass with all M20 manifolds, and your dyno operator isn't going to be happy if he needs to gap plugs mid-session lol.

I have the same BOV - removing the swappable fins (looks like it's already missing), and removing the re-circulating tip quieted it down for me. Made it more of a woosh instead of being high-pitched. I like your IAT placement too.

What are you doing for your crank case venting?

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                          Great looking early chassis, still looks classy only I dislike are the e36 comfort seats but a simple 4 bolts and 4 nuts and out they come..
                          Thanks man! I too dislike the e36 seats. With the price of a clean set of e30 seats I'm going to have to look at saving up for a bit to pay for them. May also go with a OEM looking aftermarket racing seats as they would be a lot cheaper than good condition e30 ones.
                          2016 F-150

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                            Fantastic car!

I love that you moved the turbine a little away from the head - spark plugs seem to be a pain in the ass with all M20 manifolds, and your dyno operator isn't going to be happy if he needs to gap plugs mid-session lol.

I have the same BOV - removing the swappable fins (looks like it's already missing), and removing the re-circulating tip quieted it down for me. Made it more of a woosh instead of being high-pitched. I like your IAT placement too.

What are you doing for your crank case venting?
                            Thanks man! That adapter, actually found it on eBay for like $30 and it's really well built. Solid and worked great. With the 18cm stock housing it was a bit tight for room near the fender (still enough for a turbo blanket), with the smaller exhaust housing it's not a problem.

I am venting to atmosphere for crank case.
                            2016 F-150

Comment

Good stuff. Love turbo builds!
                              My previous build (currently E30-less)
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Working...
                              X