Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New touring owner

Hi all,

A new touring owner here, based in Jakarta Indonesia. Actually, I am also a first time BMW owner.

Here are some pics of the car. Decent, not super solid, 1990 touring with M20B25 engine, with plenty of work needed.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

There are limited numbers of e30 touring here in Indonesia, I reckon no more than 10 in total, as they were not assembled in or imported to Indonesia back in the late 80s or early 90s.

The plan is to have it repainted (at the moment thinking of Alpina blue as original colour was royalblau), refresh the engine and suspension, and interior.

A couple of questions regarding the car, after browsing through several forums and blogs.

1. Suspensions are generally the same for salon and touring right? Also suspension for 4cyl and 6cyl engine are the same? I look at the suspension package sold via ECS for example and seems to be similar (except for shocks and springs) but want to confirm.
    2. Rear tail lights for touring are similar with salon? I understand parts beyond rear doors/seats are mostly different?
    3. Where to source for rolling boot cover like this? Mine lost one. I have contacted several breakers to no avail? What would be the reasonable price for one?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

4. Tried driving it, still smooth with decent power delivery though it has auto transmission. Seems to have no oil leaks etc. Engine wise, the plan is to replace timing belt + water pump + head gaskets, and adjusting valves. Anything else?

Many thanks all, sure hope not asking too many stupid questions.

Cheers
    Olie

Suspensions are the same in the aftermarket, although European aftermarket suppliers may have touring specific rear spring/damper sets. The main difference from the factory was the springs.

Don't replace the head gasket unless it needs to be done, as it's not a maintenance item. The remainder of your plan there is correct.

The cargo area covers with dog nets can be hard to find and can be expensive. I have a nice one, but am not sure if shipping would make any sense, PM if interested.

The tail lights are the same as sedans/coupes with late bumpers.

Looks like you have made a good start with your touring with the reading you've done, and the base you have to work with. Good luck going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      Suspensions are the same in the aftermarket, although European aftermarket suppliers may have touring specific rear spring/damper sets. The main difference from the factory was the springs.

Don't replace the head gasket unless it needs to be done, as it's not a maintenance item. The remainder of your plan there is correct.

The cargo area covers with dog nets can be hard to find and can be expensive. I have a nice one, but am not sure if shipping would make any sense, PM if interested.

The tail lights are the same as sedans/coupes with late bumpers.

Looks like you have made a good start with your touring with the reading you've done, and the base you have to work with. Good luck going forward.
      Many thanks roguetoaster for the insight. Noted on the headgasket. The car is currently at my friend s garage as the engine would be removed for overhaul, not sure how far. In anycase the plan is to do a respray.

Lucky found a cargo cover from a breaker in the UK, shipping cost is not cheap but reasonable.

Btw, any idea where to source for trunk lid gasket for touring? I sourced most of the rubber seals needed as i am preparing for respray but that one.

Cheers
      Olie

Comment

Originally posted by Olie92 View Post
        Btw, any idea where to source for trunk lid gasket for touring? I sourced most of the rubber seals needed as i am preparing for respray but that one.

Cheers
        Olie
        If you mean the rubber seal for the rear hatch, it is still available from BMW. I got one from Schmiedmann in Denmark.

Cory
        1992 325i Cabrio
        1988 320i Touring
        2000 M5
        1977 530i
        2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
        BMWCCA
        E30CCA

Comment

Noted that. Thanks cory!

Comment

Try the german ebay kleinanzeige for the cargo net, I recently saw one for sale.

edit. seems like you already found one.
            1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
            1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

She is a beauty!
              Follow my IG @bouchezphotography

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
                Try the german ebay kleinanzeige for the cargo net, I recently saw one for sale.

edit. seems like you already found one.
                Thanks martijn!

Comment

Originally posted by cbouchez View Post
                  She is a beauty!
                  Many thanks!q

Comment

Nice touring. Good luck finding restoration parts.

Comment

Beautiful touring! Very jealous :)

Comment

Originally posted by Tismael711 View Post
                        Nice touring. Good luck finding restoration parts.
                        Thanks! Been able to source parts from the UK thus far being a touring and RHD car...

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                          Beautiful touring! Very jealous :)
                          Thanks!;)

Comment

Gents,

Any idea how to source OEM parts from Germany? Looking for this part

51 71 8 134 821 - trunk lid rubber for touring

Would this be available in the Us? Dealership in the UK does not have one (well one that I ve been buying from thus far). Any info is highly appreciated.

Cheers
                            Olie

Comment

You won't be able to get any real help from US dealers as they've been told to not give out Euro spec parts without a Euro VIN on a US title.

Schmiedmann.com is a great alternative source for parts since BMW USA seems to not want our business.

As far as the part itself are you sure you dont need #2 here? http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E3..._system/#pos_2

Comment

Working...
                              X