No announcement yet.

Mass Shooting - Umpqua Community College

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our highschool campus recently got an armed officer on duty here patrolling every day of the week we are in session. It's really a shame to see things like this in the media.
    -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
    -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

Well I suppose this explains why I got run off the road by convoys of SWAT and explosives guys on my way to Eugene earlier...
      Derek-

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
          Hyperbole much?

Funny though, I just started watching Portlandia. Fitting.
          Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
          Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
          Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

^wow, taking personal shots already. you're cool.
            Hank Ahrens
            1984 Alpine Coupe
            1978 911sc

Comment

Originally posted by ahrensNW View Post
              ^wow, taking personal shots already. you're cool.
              I guess the guy who responds to the first shot is the one taking shots.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

I wish I had not responded here, so it wouldn't show in my feed. The absolute ignorance in these gun violence related threads is mind numbing.

Forest for the trees people.
                Derek-

Comment

Anyway, may everyone who tragically lost their life today rest in peace. And condolences to everyone that may be personally affected by this horrendous event.

And make sure all your people know you love em', cause you never know when or if shit like this could pop off in your area.

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
                    Hyperbole much?
                    hy·per·bo·le
                    hīˈpərbəlē
                    noun
                    exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally
                    Hint:

It's

Not

Hyperbole

If

It's

True

Comment

Except it's not true. You don't need anyone running around with rifles to stop a bad guy with one. No one is saying to put the custodian or any school workers into riot gear and strap a rifle to them. But concealed carry by responsible law abiding citizens is a good way to deter crime.

RIP to the lives lost, and thoughts to those injured.

Here's one that will help restore some faith in humanity.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-shooter.html
                      No E30 Club
                      Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                        But concealed carry by responsible law abiding citizens is a good way to deter crime.
                        I'm afraid I'll have to respectfully disagree with this statement.

this isn't a gun control problem, it's a people, culture, society problem.

Attack the root of the problem, not a side affect of it.

Obama hit the nail on the head when he stated that Americans have become numbed to this type of re-occurrence.

Had this of happened 15-20 years ago, it would be something that can be described as horrific...unthinkable...now days there's a school shooting happening a couple times a year.
                        Not to undermine yesterday's events, but a school shooting and by page 3 even member of r3v are saying "yep, it happened, let's not have a discussion about gun control, let's pay respect to the fallen and move on" speaks volumes on how this seems to have almost a lessened impact on Joe Everybody now...and this, frankly scares/saddens me.

this is a silver lining.
                        Originally posted by flyboyx
                        i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                          But concealed carry by responsible law abiding citizens is a good way to deter crime.
                          The problem with this belief is that it's not backed up by any actual facts or evidence:

Supporters insist that allowing people to legally carry concealed handguns reduces crime, but that has not been the result in at least four states that have tried it, including Texas, according to a newly published academic study led by a Texas A&M researcher.

The study published in the Journal of Criminology looked at the connection between crime rates and concealed handgun permits for each county in Michigan, Pennsylvania, Florida and Texas.

Researchers used two sources of data from 1998 to 2010: concealed handgun license information and arrest data from Uniform Crime Reports, which the FBI compiles nationwide to gauge arrests for serious crimes including homicide, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, theft and arson.

Overall, they found no connection between allowing concealed weapons and crime rates, which are trending downward nationwide.
                          Supporters insist that allowing people to legally carry concealed handguns reduces crime, but that has not been the result in at least four states that have tried it, including Texas, according to a newly published academic study.

Comment

God go away nutjobs. This is insulting.
                            1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                            willschnitz

Comment

You don't really get the hyperbole in the obviously satirical cartoon you posted. You are a nice guy, but I am not sure what is going on upstairs to miss that.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

The problem with this belief is that it's not backed up by any actual facts or evidence:
                                https://www.texastribune.org/2015/09...nt-affect-cri/
                                Did you even read that article? It is so inconclusive in and of itself, all you could say is that no one knows the impact of CCW on the crime rate. More over, its an obvious conclusion that mass shootings happen where guns are banned. Mass shooters typically don't waltz into police stations and engage a known armed populace.

On the one study the article hinges on, it is easy to conclude that CCW's don't increase crime either.

At the very best, using logic, you can say CCWs have no impact on crime rates according to THIS study.

I advocate open carry btw as opposed to CCWs. CCW's don't let any potential criminal know that someone is armed, hence Concealed Carry Weapon.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Working...
                                X