Dream come true- E30M3 Content Inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
    I can assure you of one thing: owning one isn't all it's cracked up to be.
    I'm not sure if you are joking or not, but I have wondered if a E30 M3 is worth it now and days. Obviously its my dream car, but I don't know if I'd ever want to own one.
    My Garage
    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Don't be jelly! Don't get me wrong, it's crazy, but I can assure you of one thing: owning one isn't all it's cracked up to be.
      Well, what were you expecting? I'm really happy I own one, though God has neither spoken to me nor high fived me since I bought mine. ;D

Seriously though, how has it disappointed you so far?

Originally posted by jhaurimn View Post
      I'm very fortunate to own my m3, but I could never drive and enjoy it like I do my 325.
      I originally bought mine as a nice weather daily to keep the mileage off of my E36 M3, but I started a business and haven't had the time nor the funds to get it to that point.

It's also managed to increase in value by a factor you would hardly believe in that time, to the point where I bought my E34 M5 to daily instead...

Comment

Originally posted by jhaurimn View Post
        I'm very fortunate to own my m3, but I could never drive and enjoy it like I do my 325.
        Originally posted by stonea View Post
        I'm not sure if you are joking or not, but I have wondered if a E30 M3 is worth it now and days. Obviously its my dream car, but I don't know if I'd ever want to own one.
        Originally posted by Shock(/\)ave View Post
        Well, what were you expecting? I'm really happy I own one, though God has neither spoken to me nor high fived me since I bought mine. ;D

Seriously though, how has it disappointed you so far?

I originally bought mine as a nice weather daily to keep the mileage off of my E36 M3, but I started a business and haven't had the time nor the funds to get it to that point.

It's also managed to increase in value by a factor you would hardly believe in that time, to the point where I bought my E34 M5 to daily instead...
        What jhaurimn said sums it up perfectly. It's certainly my dream car as well, and I am nothing but excited about it! I'm so very thankful for the opportunity to own the car, it just hasn't settled yet. I still feel like it's a car I don't want to drive out on public roads and enjoy the way I do my iX or iS.

I'm having trouble putting it in words, but it has everything to do with the value/attention. I'm worried about the car. Sounds odd but I'm sure some of you may understand.

It's my forever car. But it's not the car I immediately desire to go out and drive. I'm hoping that will change with time, though.
        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

I'm having trouble putting it in words, but it has everything to do with the value/attention. I'm worried about the car. Sounds odd but I'm sure some of you may understand.
          I understand completely. I'm sure this sort of attention wouldn't bother someone with a large car collection, but when the car represents the realization of a dream which required considerable investment and sacrifice to obtain, it can bother you.

Here are a few suggestions for you to help mitigate some of your feelings:

If you haven't already done so, get yourself proper collector car insurance for a declared value high enough to replace the car should it get stolen or totaled.

Take the car (once it's running obviously) to some classic BMW shows where a lot of the cars in attendance are as nice or nicer than yours. The perspective really helps, as does speaking with fellow owners - especially longer term owners. We have a great classic BMW meet near me called Tedfest which is a perfect example of the kind of show I'm referring to.

When I go to any more general sort of meet I usually bring whatever the least valuable car I have is (currently a 1985 528e) because I don't want much attention; I like looking at everyone else's cars and learning about them. You have the same option given your (very nice) stable of cars.

Finally, make yourself drive the car. Schedule a few weeks in the summer when it will be your daily driver, take it on a road trip, just make sure you enjoy it and don't leave it sitting. If you need to let it sit for a while due to circumstance that's okay, but if it's sitting due to apprehension you'll soon form a habit without even being aware of it, and you will eventually sell it someday after realizing someone else would enjoy it more than you have.

Comment

^^^agreed.

I'm friends with a family that specializes in collecting / restoring million dollar classics. When I start talking with them about insurance just for the storage of the cars, you'd be surprised at how much they spend a month on just storage fire and theft insurance (heres a hint, its probably triple what your M3 is worth).

Any yet, they still take the cars out and drive them on a weekly basis. What is the point in having them if they can enjoy them right? If they wanted to have them sit and just look at them they would have invested in artwork and not classic cars.

Plus, if it makes you feel any better just think that there are still people out there doing rallying with their E30 M3's, completely knowing their rise in value.
            Steve • Toronto
            1991 318is • Brillantrot
            Build Thread

Comment

Don't be scared to drive it hard even if it's once a month. If you baby it or drive it like a 325, then you will be disappointed and your 325 will seem like the better car making you question if the M3 was worth it in the first place especially at today's prices. Realize that it's an E30 but also a very different car. 318iS owners would probably "get it" sooner but a 325i owner would need some time to adjust.

Money is a huge factor. I know a couple of Evo owners who regularly track their cars. They take them to shows and the track. That's about it. They don't really drive them on the street. They have them transported for maintenance, etc. I envy them in that regard but they don't have that attachment. They also rarely focus on one make/model. That's why you see many restored examples on the market. People move on because to some it's just money. Art in motion.
              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
              91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

You had me at "Emma Watson"...

Comment

Originally posted by Shock(/\)ave View Post
                  I understand completely. I'm sure this sort of attention wouldn't bother someone with a large car collection, but when the car represents the realization of a dream which required considerable investment and sacrifice to obtain, it can bother you.

Here are a few suggestions for you to help mitigate some of your feelings:

If you haven't already done so, get yourself proper collector car insurance for a declared value high enough to replace the car should it get stolen or totaled.

Take the car (once it's running obviously) to some classic BMW shows where a lot of the cars in attendance are as nice or nicer than yours. The perspective really helps, as does speaking with fellow owners - especially longer term owners. We have a great classic BMW meet near me called Tedfest which is a perfect example of the kind of show I'm referring to.

When I go to any more general sort of meet I usually bring whatever the least valuable car I have is (currently a 1985 528e) because I don't want much attention; I like looking at everyone else's cars and learning about them. You have the same option given your (very nice) stable of cars.

Finally, make yourself drive the car. Schedule a few weeks in the summer when it will be your daily driver, take it on a road trip, just make sure you enjoy it and don't leave it sitting. If you need to let it sit for a while due to circumstance that's okay, but if it's sitting due to apprehension you'll soon form a habit without even being aware of it, and you will eventually sell it someday after realizing someone else would enjoy it more than you have.
                  Well said. I think you did a fantastic job summarizing that. I have seen that happen first hand to my Father's '66 Shelby. He started preparing it more for storage than for driving, and a habit was formed.

The appeal of the M3 is SO strong until it's in your garage, at which point the perspective changes entirely. I am planning on getting out to the vintage this year, which I'm really hoping will provide some enlightenment (as I'm guessing my car won't even remotely compare to the others).

I agree- I have been planning on taking the iS to the local CCA meets/events. I am far more interested in seeing other cool cars than presenting my own.

Originally posted by Powling View Post
                  ^^^agreed.

I'm friends with a family that specializes in collecting / restoring million dollar classics. When I start talking with them about insurance just for the storage of the cars, you'd be surprised at how much they spend a month on just storage fire and theft insurance (heres a hint, its probably triple what your M3 is worth).

Any yet, they still take the cars out and drive them on a weekly basis. What is the point in having them if they can enjoy them right? If they wanted to have them sit and just look at them they would have invested in artwork and not classic cars.

Plus, if it makes you feel any better just think that there are still people out there doing rallying with their E30 M3's, completely knowing their rise in value.
                  Oh, I am sure! That has always been my motto, as I grew up with an incredible car in a plastic shell in the garage that got driven every two years (if not longer). And I always wondered what the appeal was if you weren't planning on driving it.

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                  Don't be scared to drive it hard even if it's once a month. If you baby it or drive it like a 325, then you will be disappointed and your 325 will seem like the better car making you question if the M3 was worth it in the first place especially at today's prices. Realize that it's an E30 but also a very different car. 318iS owners would probably "get it" sooner but a 325i owner would need some time to adjust.

Money is a huge factor. I know a couple of Evo owners who regularly track their cars. They take them to shows and the track. That's about it. They don't really drive them on the street. They have them transported for maintenance, etc. I envy them in that regard but they don't have that attachment. They also rarely focus on one make/model. That's why you see many restored examples on the market. People move on because to some it's just money. Art in motion.
                  I think things will open up when I am able to get some seat time. There is certainly a large money factor involved. You have the folks who stretch to obtain what they have (me), the folks who comfortably support their hobby (probably most on this forum), and the folks who live in excess and are able to regularly track their high dollar rare cars, trailering to/from the track, starting their mornings off with a bolívar and a splash of glenlivet 33.

This has an extremely large hand in the way you perceive and/or enjoy your cars, and I have a ways to come in that department ;)

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                  You had me at "Emma Watson"...
                  ;D;D

Comment

M3 got a crack free dash today! As well as a fresh heater core+valve, evap valve, etc. Slowly fixing all of the hacks from the previous owner. Head unit soldered+wired to OE specs, harness wrapped in cloth tape, OBC got fresh LEDs, cluster being rebuilt.

Come late September she will be getting a fresh top end and making her way back to me in Indiana!

Comment

Freshie dash:

Freshie heater core:

Radio wiring back to normal:

Sending the cluster out for someone to go through it:

Comment

Nice!

I sent my M3 cluster out to Bavarian Restoration. I'll post up in my thread the results as soon as I receive it.
                        '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

Originally posted by IronJoe View Post
                          Nice!

I sent my M3 cluster out to Bavarian Restoration. I'll post up in my thread the results as soon as I receive it.
                          Thanks man!

I will keep an eye out for it, I'd like to see how it comes out! Currently weighing my options.

Comment

Don't be afraid to drive the car. They like to be driven, when they sit, they are unhappy. I just put 2500 miles on mine in a week and a half (yes, 2500 miles). The trip had everything from 6 hrs of stop and go to 15 hrs of average speed 74 mph, getting 28.5 mpg. It didn't miss a beat. Did the 6 solid hours of 90+ degree heat stop and go suck? Yep, but the car didn't overheat or do anything evil. I spent 21 straight hours in the car, and wasn't hating life when I got out.

The cars are made to be driven. They want to be driven. They get unhappy and don't run well when they are parked in the garage and wiped with a silk towel, rarely seeing the light of day. I drive mine every day, and I wouldn't think twice about doing another 2500 mile trip in the car tomorrow.

Yes, its a very different car from a 325. The power band is higher, but that is fine because it likes to run 3500 rpm, that is where it gets its best mileage. Its comfortable as well. There aren't many cars that I could do 21 hours straight in, but with stiff suspension, solid shock and strut mounts, poly or delrin bushings everywhere, it wasn't a big deal. Yeah, I was tired, but I wasn't beaten up.

Moral of the story, drive your car, it will like you for it.

Will
                            '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                            '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                            '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                            '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                              Don't be afraid to drive the car. They like to be driven, when they sit, they are unhappy. I just put 2500 miles on mine in a week and a half (yes, 2500 miles). The trip had everything from 6 hrs of stop and go to 15 hrs of average speed 74 mph, getting 28.5 mpg. It didn't miss a beat. Did the 6 solid hours of 90+ degree heat stop and go suck? Yep, but the car didn't overheat or do anything evil. I spent 21 straight hours in the car, and wasn't hating life when I got out.

The cars are made to be driven. They want to be driven. They get unhappy and don't run well when they are parked in the garage and wiped with a silk towel, rarely seeing the light of day. I drive mine every day, and I wouldn't think twice about doing another 2500 mile trip in the car tomorrow.

Yes, its a very different car from a 325. The power band is higher, but that is fine because it likes to run 3500 rpm, that is where it gets its best mileage. Its comfortable as well. There aren't many cars that I could do 21 hours straight in, but with stiff suspension, solid shock and strut mounts, poly or delrin bushings everywhere, it wasn't a big deal. Yeah, I was tired, but I wasn't beaten up.

Moral of the story, drive your car, it will like you for it.

Will
                              while its not the m3...i've driven my 325 hard everyday for 15 years... its an e30 and they are engineered to be driven, we know that... . it loves me for it.
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              '90 325i sedan daily driven
                              '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

To my mind the moment you are afraid to enjoy the nice things youve surrounded yourself with (and sacrificed to get) you kind of defeat the purpose. What stops me from getting too neurotic about it is paint. I have done 1 high end paint job in my life ($4700 in 1982 dollars) and I was so paranoid to even park it somewhere that it took the fun out of it so I traded it for a boat.

I love my cabrio barn find which I DD and it has a crease on the fender that at first drove me crazy...but now it reminds me that the car is not perfect, will never be if I have anything to say about it, so I just have fun. If it does get dinged I'll just go for a ride, smile from ear to ear and forget about the damn ding...but no eating potato chips in my new interior lol
                                Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                                Alice the Time Capsule
                                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                                87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Working...
                                X