Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Securing Optima battery for track purposes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Securing Optima battery for track purposes...

I have an Optima battery that I want to mount in the stock location in the trunk. The problem is that the battery is too small for the stock mounting position and hardware. For those of you who use this battery, what have you done to mount this so that it satisifies track/auto-x tech requirements for safely securing a battery?

I have an optima in my Maxima...you have to get creative .... I'd suggest a firm securing kit with custom mounting posts or try a locking strap.

Comment

Originally posted by e9nine
      I have an optima in my Maxima...you have to get creative .... I'd suggest a firm securing kit with custom mounting posts or try a locking strap.
      I considered rigging up a strap system of some kind, but was uncertain how "legal" or acceptable it would be. It doesn't seem to be any different that using a four inch piece of metal to secure a narrow flange along the bottom edge of the battery. Do the tech folks have issues with straps?

(I realize this seems more appropriate for the Technical section, but I am more focused on what ways of securing will be acceptable for getting through tech.)

Comment

It varies with who ever you auto-x with. AFAIK they simply "shake" the battery to make sure its firm enough. Mine is always under the battery cover and no one has ever lifted the cover to see how firmly its placed.

I'd say use the strap with the mechanical adjuster ( pardon the lack of knowledge on its proper term) and you're good to go so far as you set it up right.

Comment

at every school i've ever been to they've given me crap about my battery. i've run three different batteries with three different methods. basically not even the stock battery tie down system really makes the tech guys happy. rig something up. get creative. what i ended up doing was convincing my mechanic that the stock system plus a 1" motorcycle tie down wrapped around the battery and the whole tray was good. This worked because he techs the cars at almost every school I go to.

in any event, the best thing i've found is that strap around the battery and tray. here's how i did it. take it all out. battery comes easy, the tray has a 10, 11 or 13mm nut that holds it down. it can be rusty, so it could be hard. take the whole tray out. lay the strap down in the space so that the two hooks in the strap will end up on the outboard side of the battery. this is important, because it's the only way you can get it tight enough to do anything. you want the strap to tighten by pulling towards the center of the car over the battery.

this is getting confusing. i'm sure you can figure it out, there's usually one way that makes it easy to get it tight.

then rig up something with the stock system. I took a piece of aluminum and drilled a hole in it so i could use it with the stock point (battery is smaller than stock).

wow.. it's early, i can't communicate. i'm gonna shut up.
          sigpic
          king of bad decisions.

Comment

My best advice is to ditch the Optima.
            Have you ever weighed one?
            They weigh MORE than a regular battery.

Interstate Battery stores in my area sell "reconditioned" batteries for $20 if you are on a tight budget. If you are looking for a lightweight small battery, look into the Oddysey batteries.
            If you don't have a big stereo system, you can get away with the 15lb'er no problem. Optima weighs probably near or north of 50lbs. Try shaving 25lbs (regular battery is around 40lbs) from your car, it's not that easy.

-Patrick
            -Patrick

Comment

When i mounted my optima, i simply moved the tie down bolt. Take out the lower battery tray and mark where the stock tie down should be for the shorter battery. Pry off the metal backing plate and drill a new hole for it. There are several metal "teeth" that you will need to stick back into the plastic undertray (a hammer works well ;))

Reinstall the battery tray and optima with the stock tie down.
              Chris
              90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

Working...
              X