R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > General Forums > Members Rides > The Project Forum

Old 12-22-2016, 11:31 PM   #5461
Hubry
Noobie

Spent the day putting on a new headgasket after the oil started getting cloudy. Previous owner claimed he did it just before I bought the car along with the timing belt.

Cracked open the timing case to be greeted with a fine black powder everywhere and a belt sitting on the edge of the sprocket. New belt ordered.

Opened up the valve cover and noticed he decided to use hex head bolts instead of the preferred torx. The car was not in running condition when I got it so it's a wonder how he managed to properly torque them.

Start taking them out in the right sequence using my usual step de-torque method (quarter turn, half turn, full turn) and noticed they were finger loose after a quarter turn.

It's a wonder this car ran at all.
Hubry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:21 AM   #5462
jgilber0
Noobie

Laboriously removed my entire trunk liner only to find that the rear shock mounts are actually located in the convertible top well! Not like my old Miata or Corvair I'm not sure that my Bentley manual noted this, and it was annoying until I realized that I needed to replace my old radio mast anyway.

The good news: I didn't find any rust of consequence.

I installed the right rear shock with no complications. Had to break for dinner and set aside the left one for next week. After that, we are on to the more challenging front struts.

I also cleaned out my convertible top well, which had 20 years of grime in it. I noticed that water runs out of the left side through the rocker, but no water ran out of the right side. Looks like I need to check the drains.
jgilber0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:37 PM   #5463
jgilber0
Noobie

Installed the right rear shock, changed the radio antenna to fixed mast with an e36 mount. Cleaned and remounted the rear wheels. Making progress!
jgilber0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:07 AM   #5464
htseng

What did you do to your E30 today?

Installed a new shaft in my Hirshmann antenna. Had to take it out and disassemble it to take the snapped cogged plastic tail out. Used the $15 Uro part from Amazon. Couldn't bring myself to pay $50 for the oem part let alone to $200plus for the antenna.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by htseng; Today at 08:03 AM.
htseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM   #5465
dereliiict
Mod Crazy

Tore the interior out. Found out how *ahem* "covered" it is.
Old Today, 09:03 AM   #5466
chefpeterlevine
Noobie

i put 4k into the engine and suspension. including, water pump, timing belt, points, plugs, fuel filter, air filter, oil filter, several new hoses. new control arms and bushings all around and more... struts in front and shocks in back... not to mention a valve job and power steering fluid flush...
(i was lucky to have won the free paint job in 2015 at the e30 picnic in washington) so then i put 3k into the body, with not a ding on it now and then had it re painted the original glacier blue at haury's and then added all new exterior trim.
just had transmission serviced, nothing in the pan!

she's looking pretty now...feeling very good... with 243,000 miles... i have had it for 15 years. my daily driver.

more to come.
-------------------
1990 e30 325i sedan
2005 audi a4 1.8
1984 vanagon riviera

Last edited by chefpeterlevine; Today at 09:10 AM. Reason: added stuf and fixed mis spellings
chefpeterlevine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:08 AM   #5467
Streichholzschächtelchen
E30 Mastermind

Just got an 05 mr2 spyder EHPS pump for $40 so I can have power steering and a supercharger lol. Also just got a custom hood bra from germany, and a tre-340 fuel pump
Old Today, 09:13 AM   #5468
IceWhite
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefpeterlevine View Post
i put 4k into the engine and suspension. including, water pump, timing belt, points, plugs, fuel filter, air filter, oil filter, several new hoses. new control arms and bushings all around and more... struts in front and shocks in back... not to mention a valve job and power steering fluid flush...
(i was lucky to have won the free paint job in 2015 at the e30 picnic in washington) so then i put 3k into the body, with not a ding on it now and then had it re painted the original glacier blue at haury's and then added all new exterior trim.
just had transmission serviced, nothing in the pan!

she's looking pretty now...feeling very good... with 243,000 miles... i have had it for 15 years. my daily driver.

more to come.
What are "Points"?

ttp://www.r3vlimited.com/board/picture.php?albumid=2200&pictureid=14446

IceWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:17 AM   #5469
chefpeterlevine
Noobie

distributor cap and rotor...
not sure why i called them points... an old term from my vw bug days...
thanks for busting me on that...
-------------------
1990 e30 325i sedan
2005 audi a4 1.8
1984 vanagon riviera
chefpeterlevine is online now   Reply With Quote