Variable TPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Variable TPS

Does anyone know how I can switch to a variable tps for MS? Im running whodwho's ms setup and it's running, but I want a little more control. Thanks in advance

M30 automatic TPS is bolt on (you'd have to wire up the plug though), or an E36 TPS an adapter. The E36 TPS works best if you flip the throttle shaft 180 degrees, and also if you use the stock TPS connector on the M20 harness you need to re-pin it so the ground is in the right location.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Thanks Nando! Any particular models/years of the m30 auto?
      Last edited by brickdaddy; 09-07-2016, 05:51 AM.

Comment

I think it's on all the E34s

it looks like the E30 TPS only it has a round, 6 pin connector if I remember correctly.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Don't forget to change the jumper inside the unit.

I usually use the e36 TPS, abundant, cheap, pretty reliable, and the plug works - have to make/buy an adapter though. Gotta switch the two wires before the plug, the solid brown stays where it is, swap the two brown stripped wires.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            The E36 TPS works best if you flip the throttle shaft 180 degrees

Why? So that the mounting holes are lined up?
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:

Comment

no, otherwise the connector points to the manifold, and it's a pain in the ass to get the plug on. It fits, just not as well.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                no, otherwise the connector points to the manifold, and it's a pain in the ass to get the plug on. It fits, just not as well.
                Just call your local 300zx mechanic ;)

john@m20guru.com
                Links:

Comment

Thanks for the input. What woud I have to do to run the e36 vtps other than spin it around and point it towards the manifold and rewire the plug? Some sort of an adapter plate? Do either of you know about running one of these?

In researching the subject I found that some miata guys, haha guys in miatas, run the e34 tps because it fits and some of them run this because it also fits and is easily wired up.

Comment

Something like this is your best bet for mounting it: https://squaredmotorwerks.com/products/m50-tps-adapter

I have used a similar product for a couple years, bought from a member here who used to make & sell them. I didn't flip the throttle shaft and the wire is a tight stretch but it does work.

Comment

If you use the adapter in the link above, then just rewire, move the jumper inside the MS, and happy tuning.
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                        If you use the adapter in the link above, then just rewire, move the jumper inside the MS, and happy tuning.
                        Don't mean to sound like a dummy, but what jumper?

Comment

Inside the ECU case, there's a jumper for the throttle switch vs variable. It's on the big PCB. A jumper jumps two pins sticking up off the circuit board, or the back of a hard drive etc.
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:

Comment

Working...
                          X