Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

replacing water pump, what else should i be doing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing water pump, what else should i be doing?

I am replacing my water pump.

I am just wondering, since i have all belts and fan removed, what else should I be considering doing or looking at since I have the front end broken down to this stage.

thanks in advance!
    91 E30 318is
    99 E36 M3
    05 E46 ZHP sedan
    66 Impala Lowrod

Belts, hoses, timing chain guides/tensioner sprocket, belt tensioner...

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

thermostat, coolant flush. of course new gaskets on the timing cover, etc ... I really inspect the timing case and the sprockets too ... if you have the early e30 timing sprocket then you might want to replace that too.
      Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

It's a little bit out of the way but I'd recommend changing the plastic coolant pipe on the side of the motor as well. Mine just snapped off when I went to touch it. If you are going to do that may as well do the mess under the intake procedure too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Oh, yeah, I'll second the 'I just blew up my motor' pipe. That thing's a time bomb,
          and for $12, not worth NOT doing. It's a little like the timing belt on an M20

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

any pic of this pipe?

Comment

It's the pipe that comes off of the block, behind the oil filter canister.

Comment

Working...
              X