No announcement yet.

"I Don't Bluff" comment $6.50 a gallon here we come

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why tax gas? Does it pay for road building and maintenance? Why doesn't the government get out of roadbuilding and let Adam Smith and His Invisible Hand of Capitalism take care of everything?

On the subject of money: A 20 gold piece has value comparable to it's original value. You could purchase a tailored suit at the end of the 18th century with just one and have money left over. It still will today, but 20 paper dollars will not.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by JinormusJ
    Don't buy an e30

They're stupid
    1989 325is Raged on then sold.
    1988 325 SETA 2DR Beaten to death, then parted.
    1988 325 SETA 4DR Parted.
    1990 325i Cabrio Daily'd, then stored 2 yrs ago.

Comment

Originally posted by frankenbeemer View Post
      Why tax gas? Does it pay for road building and maintenance? Why doesn't the government get out of roadbuilding and let Adam Smith and His Invisible Hand of Capitalism take care of everything?

On the subject of money: A 20 gold piece has value comparable to it's original value. You could purchase a tailored suit at the end of the 18th century with just one and have money left over. It still will today, but 20 paper dollars will not.
      what the fuck do you guys do over there in SC?
      You can't buy a tailored suit in a city with a hunk of gold...maybe two chickens and a pig.

or maybe you were being serious but I sure hope not
      Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!

Comment

A
        Originally posted by smooth View Post
        You can't buy a tailored suit in a city with a hunk of gold...maybe two chickens and a pig.

Reading fail

Here I will conect the dots for ya

Spot price for 1 troy oz of gold as of 3/6/12. 8am est. 1685 usd. A troy oz is 31gr. A traditional 20 dollar gold coin was 33 gr and 90% gold so a troy oz more or less.

A decent mens tailored suit starts at about 1500 bucks. So the purchaseing power of gold is still there.

Just like when gas was a dime, well today I can buy gas for about a dime that was minted prior too 1964 that is 90% silver. At current silver prices a silver dime is worth about 3.22 usd.

Edit: utah had a bill recently, to allow people and businesses if to settle public debt with gold/silve. Or even use it as a means of paying for goods and services if both parties wish
        Last edited by mrsleeve; 03-06-2012, 06:41 AM.
        Originally posted by Fusion
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

I love the RWH's comments. Right out of the lefts playbook for responding to gas prices comments by the right. But it was GW's fault that gas was so high back when he was in office amiright? Amright?!! AHHH YEAHHH Im right.

Oh the irony in this thread is killing me.

Emmm that chevy volt looks so good right now amiright?

Damn that steven chu!!! You can find even more awesome comments by steven chu chu, about gasolina if you want.
          Last edited by HarryPotter; 03-06-2012, 07:33 AM.

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

John F. Kennedy

Comment

Only half serious. I believe mrsleeve explained that half well. Fiat money is an article of faith, you can light a cigar with it's intrinsic value.
            sigpic
            Don't buy an e30

They're stupid

Comment

Only half serious. I believe mrsleeve explained that half well. Fiat money is an article of faith, you can light a cigar with it's intrinsic value.
              All money, whether gold or the paper dollar is a belief system. Going to a gold standard only puts a finite limitation on the circulation of physical money, but the belief system will make it or any form of currency valuable or invaluable. Going to gold or a different fixed currency won't make the value of gas any different.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HarryPotter View Post
                I love the RWH's comments. Right out of the lefts playbook for responding to gas prices comments by the right. But it was GW's fault that gas was so high back when he was in office amiright? Amright?!! AHHH YEAHHH Im right.

Oh the irony in this thread is killing me.

Emmm that chevy volt looks so good right now amiright?

Damn that steven chu!!! You can find even more awesome comments by steven chu chu, about gasolina if you want.
                You're so ignorant it hurts.

I'm strongly conservative and gas prices were high during Bush's second term (who I voted for and McCain) because of a LOT of demand from us driving our SUVs and Hummers, and China's demand increasing as well.

But I also like to be informed and educated about matters and not march lock-step with the misinformation pundits proclaim and want us to believe without actually thinking about the logic.
                Last edited by rwh11385; 03-06-2012, 09:08 AM.

Comment

SilverPrice.org - The No. 1 live silver price site, includes historical Silver prices for the past 6 months, 1 year, 5 years and 10 years.

And Farbin, I hope you really DIDN'T invest in silver when that thread was about it.

Gold slides below key support as dollar strengthens
                  Heavy selling was particularly seen in U.S. April gold futures. "It's long liquidation, everyone is trying to get out of the door at the same time,"
                  Gold is extending losses after falling nearly 4 percent last week, the most since mid-December, after Federal Reserve chair Ben Bernanke disappointed financial markets when he failed to signal another imminent round of monetary easing.
                  Like I've been saying... Gold and silver prices were a bubble created by uneducated pessimism as well as people wanting to make profits by giving low penny per dollar returns on melting their jewelry etc. The dollar is stronger than most people give it credit for.

Comment

First, i live in Norway so lets do some converting
                    1 gallons is 3.7854118 liters
                    1 american dollar = 5,66569028 norwegian kroner

These days i pay 15,5 nkr/liter
                    Thats 21,4469708410573 dollars a gallon.. :P

Comment

Originally posted by herbivor View Post
                      All money, whether gold or the paper dollar is a belief system.
                      No. Gold is a commodity. The shekel was originally a unit of weight of barley, also a commodity. The value of a gold coin is the gold value. The value of a paper dollar is the value of the paper plus faith in the US government. But then there is Waterworld, you could bleach those dollars and make a fortune.
                      sigpic
                      Don't buy an e30

They're stupid

Comment

The value of a gold coin is the gold value.
                        Which is based off the value of the dollar. No money or commodity has value unless you and others believe it has value and assign it value.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                          A
                          Reading fail

Here I will conect the dots for ya
                          thanks but I'm fairly certain I have the concept down

the problem with your position, and your example, is that the only way to get around what you dislike about our monetary system (or any monetary system, gold or otherwise, for that matter) is to return to a straight barter system. And unless you want to carry around chickens, pigs, and bushels of barley like I mentioned in my post this discussion is pointless.

Comment

thanks but I'm fairly certain I have the concept down

the problem with your position, and your example, is that the only way to get around what you dislike about our monetary system (or any monetary system, gold or otherwise, for that matter) is to return to a straight barter system. And unless you want to carry around chickens, pigs, and bushels of barley like I mentioned in my post this discussion is pointless.
                            Don't assume I dislike our monetary system.
                            sigpic
                            Don't buy an e30

They're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by herbivor View Post
                              Which is based off the value of the dollar. No money or commodity has value unless you and others believe it has value and assign it value.
                              Not so. There is an intrinsic value to commodities, they have utility.
                              sigpic
                              Don't buy an e30

They're stupid

Comment

you're conflating two separate concepts

something can have utility (to someone) without intrinsic value (regardless of its utility to someone) and vice versa

Comment

Working...
                                X