Suggestions? Car purchase & tags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions? Car purchase & tags

I made an offer on a car this past weekend and the owner accepted. The plan is to fly up and drive the vehicle back down to Florida. The only issue that has come up so far is how to drive the car back without the plate. The owner says he can't take the risk of me driving on his plate. The vehicle is in Maryland. After a bit of research, temp tags are probably the way to go but which state do I get a temp tag in; Maryland or Florida?

I am also open to any other ideas that the forum has. Thanks for the help.

I think you get an in-transit temporary tag from the state you are planning on registering the vehicle.

I had a friend pick up a car from about 7 hours away in the same state and used his old plates. The P.O left the reg tag and inspection sticker on the car so it didnt draw any attention.

Only other option I can think of is using a dealer plate if you have connections.
    Last edited by allen_t; 09-14-2015, 08:41 AM.
    http://www.DeluxeCarStorage.com
    87 325ic - Early ACS Tribute
    90 325i MT2 - R.I.P

Seller Feedback: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=380908

Comment

Not 100% on this, temp tag from FL, of course good luck with a DMV in Brevard,
      88 M3 Lachsliber glass top, 90 IS project,

Comment

every time I buy a car in PA i get the temp tags there from a PENN DOT station which allow 7? or 14? days to register it in my state. I've even bought cars with out of state titles (1 from CT and the other from MI) and brought them to a PENN DOT station and was still given the temp tags. I live in NJ btw. All they need to see is proof of insurance and the title in your name. Not sure how it goes in other states, but I'm pretty sure you need the title in your hand to get the temp tags.

Comment

Print out a price of paper the size of the plate that says "(insert name) used autos (insert fake phone number)" and then don't speed on the way home
          Originally posted by Vokuhila
          I laughed, and then I serioused

Comment

I sa F it and just drive. Have the Title and proof of sale in hand. The other safe thing is to fly up there and rent a Uhaul and tow it down.

Comment

I am going to attempt to get a temp tag tomorrow but I don't have the title. Fingers crossed it works.

Still open to suggestions!

Comment

I would assume you get a temp tag in Florida, but of course read up on the dmv website.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Working...
                X