Crazy Find...Airtex e2448 same as Walbro 255lph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
    Pretty sure that's what I'm running in my car now. There are some issues to be worked out as of yet, but fuel is not one of them.

FWIW, a friend of mine gave me the pump. It was in a blank cardboard box, but the contents looked exactly like what is above. He said it was a walboro 255 knock off. That said, he is running the same pump in his 500hp or so 2jz Miata without issue.
    I had a TREpump. It worked for about a year. Left me stranded atleast 4 times. Chased others issues not thinking it was my "new pump". Switched it out eventually with an Airtex one i didnt have a choice while on the side of the road. No problems now.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
      I got this pump and it is a Walbro...however, it's pick up filter is too high which will lead to fuel starvation while still having fuel in the tank.
      This is the same issue I'm having with it. Unless my tank is above 3/4 full, I will get starvation taking hard right corners at speed - especially when driving autocross or testing the limits of adhesion on interstate on/off ramps. Obviously it becomes easier to starve it as the fuel level goes down.
      Originally posted by kronus
      would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

So i got one of these for my coupe and it's been working great for over a year now. some fuel starvation when i'm on an on/off ramp with almost no fuel (less than 2 gallons) and i'm really moving. but aside from when i drive like a retard, no issues at all.

but, now that i've got this '87 vert with an in-tank and an external pump, would there be any way to install this pump in place of the external pump? or any other cheap options? (It's going on a flip car, so i don't want to spend much money, but i want it to be a solid car.)

pic:

sigpic
        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
        1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

I got one today from rock auto. Definitely not a walbro or at least not labeled as one :/

EDIT: there are 2 versions on the E2448 I got the correct one. Clearly labeled with Walbro on it.
          Last edited by bmk; 10-12-2014, 10:05 PM.
          Worlds 1st LS powered e30 cabby.
          Cab
          billac: 92 LagunengrĂ¼n cabriolet + cadillac LQ9 + Nitrous + rotiform SJC

Raphael: 88 LagunengrĂ¼n IX + Hella 500's + Red ACS type 1's

Shaggin Wagon
          : 01 325xiT 5 speed

91 MR2 GT3076TS + E85 = 505whp + antilag = wheelies
          88 CRX OEM+ 42mpg DD.

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
            So i got one of these for my coupe and it's been working great for over a year now. some fuel starvation when i'm on an on/off ramp with almost no fuel (less than 2 gallons) and i'm really moving. but aside from when i drive like a retard, no issues at all.

but, now that i've got this '87 vert with an in-tank and an external pump, would there be any way to install this pump in place of the external pump? or any other cheap options? (It's going on a flip car, so i don't want to spend much money, but i want it to be a solid car.)
            No way to use this as a replacement for the external pump, but you should be able to switch the internal pump to one of these and then eliminate the external pump. Not sure if the in-tank pump is a direct swap though. This has been talked about before. Search.

Comment

Could have sold you my HID fogs, one is cracked though.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                No way to use this as a replacement for the external pump, but you should be able to switch the internal pump to one of these and then eliminate the external pump. Not sure if the in-tank pump is a direct swap though. This has been talked about before. Search.
                That's the same conclusion that I've come to. This airtex pump can only be used in-tank. I could convert the early 2-pump setup to the late 1-pump setup, but that's more trouble than it's worth for me.

So then my question, are there any cheap alternatives for the external pump on an early car?
                sigpic
                1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]

Comment

***I went to Advance Auto last night looking for the Walbro. Turns out Advance switched suppliers and now the pump's box is branded CarQuest. The CarQuest pump DOES NOT have the Walbro logo on it. Looks like the deal is up unless you can find an old box or a different store selling them as Airtex.**

Wow, 1 year later and I'm back to the exact same issue. No fuel to the rail or to the high pressure pump, test light shows voltage and amps at both pumps, neither pump makes noise/vibrations (even when hooked directly to a car battery). Looks like sitting for about 7 months has killed them. So now I'm just going to convert to a single in-tank using this Airtex/Walbro. I know a lot has been posted about what it takes to convert from an early 2 pump setup to a late 1 pump setup, but most of the information is scattered around. So I'll throw together a write-up with decent pictures and explanations.

Wiring:
                  This diagram is for a 1987 3-series, specifically a convertible. It is showing that the wire supplying power to the main pump (external?) has a cross-sectional area of 2.5 mm^2 and the wire supplying power to the auxiliary pump has a cross-sectional area of 1 mm^2. I think this will still be a sufficient amount of power.

I plan to cap off the external pump wires and power the airtex/walboro using the in-tank pump wires.

Plumbing:
                  IIRC, the car has a 13mm diameter hose leaving the intake pump to the external pump. Then the hose size is reduced to 8mm diameter going in/out of the fuel filter. I plan to replace my external pump with a double barb reducer.
                  Last edited by McGyver; 09-18-2015, 05:51 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X