Collectability of the E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collectability of the E30

My question is this, I know that the M3 has already attained collector status, and is fetching upwards of $100K for the perfect condition lower mileage models, and the special European models such as the 320is are also demanding very high premiums. But will the non special models, the " run of the mill " cars, at some point also reach collector status? Probably not anywhere near the values of the M models, but a still impressive figure? If it is kept in mint condition, totally original, and relatively low in mileage? Or will they just be really great "older cars"? I know this forum might be a little biased in their responses, but I'm confident the expertise of the members here, can also provide the most accurate answers as well.
    Last edited by fakeplstctrees; 05-14-2016, 02:27 PM.

As long as the M3 is still around I don't see the e30 becoming collectable. Clean and original e30s will always be more desirable, but I don't see it becoming a collector car.
    My Garage
    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

They absolutely are. It's starting that way down here, 318is 325is are becoming pretty big dollar items (for what they are) and the others are heading up as well.
      Mint condition series 1 coupes are currently the most desirable as they do have that classic look.

If you've got an original example, hold on to it and don't let go
      sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

What is your definition of collectable? I would say they are. However, there are a lot of them out there still. One thing that helps raise the price is there are a lot of people out there that can't afford an m3 so they will throw their money into the next best thing which is this.

Btw...there are already a bazillion threads here on this subject.
        sigpic
        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Just sit back and let the stanced and ruined kids continue to crash. You should see a healthy return in investment.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
          ~Stay Thirsty~

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin_Button View Post
            Just sit back and let the stanced and ruined kids continue to crash. You should see a healthy return in investment.

This. Give it a few years (maybe a decade), keep that car stock or OEM+ at best and I believe that you will have a collectible example.

Comment

I would say no, there's way too many, it's not a special package model, etc. but the market has shown that it doesn't matter as much these days. Clean examples will bring a premium to the right buyers. Not as much as an M or even a comparable 'S' model but a premium. Follow EAG's cars. They sold a clean low mile 91 318iS for $23k to someone who was looking for exactly that. I believe they also have some 325i models as well. The common denominator is that they are lower mileage and clean examples. Why did you buy the car though? If you bought for collector value, you will want to use it sparingly and keep it stockish. For me that isn't worth it. I enjoy my cars by tastefully (everyone has their definition) modding them. I own 3 because I enjoy them...collector status is just a bonus.
              Last edited by reelizmpro; 09-08-2015, 09:17 AM.
              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
              91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Value will continue to go up but as mentioned only for cleaner low mileage cars.
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
                IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Price will continue to go up, for anything that's not a beater.

However, EVERYTHING stamped and spot- welded has gone up a lot
                  recently, so it's kind of hard to tell if this is a bubble (as has happened in the past)
                  or if it'll hold. As always,
                  'it's the economy'.
                  As long as there's a significant chunk of the population that's got an inordinate amount of money
                  to throw at things they 'have to have', prices will stay up.

When that goes away, or gets 'offshored' like most of the old 'solid money' jobs did,
                  then prices will go back down again. If it happens. It might. It might not.

One never knows.

The gas- welded and hand- hammered stuff is rare enough that the absurdly rich can keep the prices up,
                  so those will probably stay expensive....

My personal version is, I like it, so I keep it. I try not to wreck it any more than I have to...

t
                  now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                    Follow EAG's cars. They sold a clean low mile 91 318iS for $23k to someone who was looking for exactly that. I believe they also have some 325i models as well. The common denominator is that they are lower mileage and clean examples.
                    The tricky thing about the EAG cars is whether the prices that they sell for make any sense. I saw that they sold one E30 325i for somewhere around $15k, about a year ago. That same car was recently relisted by its current owner for $9.5k, and he has now lowered his asking price to $8.5k. The market seems to be suggesting that some of the more astronomical prices are a bit foolish.

Comment

Originally posted by phenobarb1 View Post
                      The tricky thing about the EAG cars is whether the prices that they sell for make any sense. I saw that they sold one E30 325i for somewhere around $15k, about a year ago. That same car was recently relisted by its current owner for $9.5k, and he has now lowered his asking price to $8.5k. The market seems to be suggesting that some of the more astronomical prices are a bit foolish.
                      Good point. EAG also provides the service of sourcing the cars, cleaning them up, making necessary repairs and marketing them. To some, that is worth the premium and as a business they need to make money. The people who shop EAG have the means to buy and little time. The prices may be high but I haven't seen any buyers remorse from any of their customers so they must be doing something right. The convenient/service aspect must also be factored into the price of EAG cars. That itself is worth different things to different people but I think the fact that they sold those cars for $15k and 23K speaks volumes. It shows that people ARE willing to pay for the more common E30's although the 318iS is a special model to many and these ultra low mile / clean cars are hard to find. One can spend years looking and never find any.
                      Last edited by reelizmpro; 09-08-2015, 10:31 AM.
                      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                        Good point. EAG also provides the service of sourcing the cars, cleaning them up, making necessary repairs and marketing them. To some, that is worth the premium and as a business they need to make money. The people who shop EAG have the means to buy and little time. The prices may be high but I haven't seen any buyers remorse from any of their customers so they must be doing something right. The convenient/service aspect must also be factored into the price of EAG cars. That itself is worth different things to different people but I think the fact that they sold those cars for $15k and 23K speaks volumes. It shows that people ARE willing to pay for the more common E30's although the 318iS is a special model to many and these ultra low mile / clean cars are hard to find. One can spend years looking and never find any.
                        EAG practices are pretty scandalous. They low ball owners and flip it the next day for literally double the price.

~Stay Thirsty~

Comment

I've heard that but it wouldn't work if the owners never agreed to sell. Selling cars can be a PITA and cash is king. Unless they are holding people over balconies and guns to their heads, I don't see a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin_Button View Post
                            EAG practices are pretty scandalous. They low ball owners and flip it the next day for literally double the price.

No ..... no the prices aren't for what they offer. As Mpro points out, it's a viable business model for the buyer who wants to spend his time driving the car and not sorting out issues from past owners. Anyone who can't see past a "big" price tag needs to take a step back and look at things from a different perspective than their own.

OP as for your question, If you want to see what the E30 market will look like in time look at the 2002 market. The '02 has the Turbo as it's halo car but the rest of the market does pretty well. The appeal of a fun-to-drive simple car will combine with the appeal of a "classic" as time goes on. In short they will never be EXPENSIVE but they won't be cheap either.
                            ADAMS Autosport

Comment

The e30 will be a collectible car no doubt. Don't think it'll ever be a million dollar collectible but definitely a future collector car. Obviously the M3 already is so 325is' and 318is's with 5 speeds will soon follow. Yes they made many but still a decent performing European car with a timeless beautiful design. How many Mustangs did they make between 64-66?? And still it's one of the most recognizable collector cars ever! So it'll get there, just not as fast as Porsches have.

Comment

Working...
                              X