Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

just got car that was sitting for 12 years!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just got car that was sitting for 12 years!

It's actually a 1967 MB 250sl. my uncle had it sitting outside for 12 yrs. in Sacramento. Now its home and I want to get it running(it ran when put away). Looking under the hood is a black mess of dirt and cob webs. My question is if there is some procedure that we should follow to get this thing going. We're starting with a battery and plugs, oil, filter. But should we take out the plugs and put some oil in there and turn it by hand first to get the walls coated or something like that? should we maybe drain the tank and fill with fresh fuel? Dont really know where to start. Thanks.
    AW
    sigpic

you will definitely need some fresh gas. other than that your plan seems good to go. good luck.

Comment

fuel needs to be flushed, maybe drop the gas tank and have it boiled out @ yer local radiator repair shop. COOLING SYSTEM is probably rusted to shit.
      IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

yup freshen all the fluids, remove what ever wildlife dwellings you can find, clean the carb (rebuild if you like) but at least clean it. New coil, wires, cap, rotor, points an condenser (if it even has them being a 67 I would assume) fuel filter, look at all the rubber lines for dry rot, new T-stat an battery also belts if nessary. That should get you up an running under its own power.

Then you need to check for brake line leaks (all the fittings an rubber seals in caliper/rotors will dry rot if not used) put in fresh gear oil in the diff an trans. then onto the various wiring gremelins you have got an what ever else you want to do with it from there.

I have revived many a fence row, trucks when I was a kid. All that stuff would run about 200 bucks but you got a classic MB prolly gonna be a bit more to get her going.

Edit: I did just a quick google on your car an turn out its got mechanical MPI (multi port injection) with an adapted diesel injection pump. you must clean out the fuel tank put in a new pick up an repalce all the lines that even look remotely rough an flush them from the injection pump back. I dont even want to think what a new or used injection pump or injectors is gonna cost to replace. Also a verry rare car most "67" were tilted as 68's so you have a the rarest of the 113 MB's. You might want to hit up some of the MB boards before you turn the key to see where you stand on how to proceed so as to not wipe out something spendy.

here http://www.sl113.org/home.asp
        Just my 2 cents on that
        Last edited by mrsleeve; 12-30-2007, 09:32 PM.
        Originally posted by Fusion
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

I agree with the above posts as well, but as for the oil to put down the plug holes...I've heard that it's good to pour in some marvel mystery oil in each cylinder and let it sit for a couple of days before you try to turn it over by hand at all. This way it has half a chance to seep down and penetrate the rings and potential crustyness.

Comment

thanks for the info guys and let me know if you think of any think of anything else. i dont know about the gas tank though, might just put some fresh in there and a filter and see how it does. Oh and Lawrence welcome to R3v , let me know if you need anything, I've met up with a couple of local e30 guys who have helped me with vairous projects.

Edit: mrsleeve, I just saw your edit after i posted this reply, looks like I do need to clean out the tank, thanks for your info, very helpful.
            Last edited by aaron325ix; 12-30-2007, 10:15 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X