Subwoofer Install Tutorial: TONS of pics, none of my buttcrack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subwoofer Install Tutorial: TONS of pics, none of my buttcrack

OK guys, here is the deal. You need a few tools: Screw gun (AKA DeWalt or whatever) a couple of basic drillbits, a few feet of speaker wire, some scissors, a nice condition "Sharpie" pen, a can of spray glue, a wire tie or three, a tiny bit of whatever silicone sealant you might have, a jigsaw, and whatever you plan on cutting the metal under your rear speakers with. I used tinsnips because I am a total badass with the 'snips, yO!

You will also need to buy a part sheet of 1/4" or 1/8" Masonite, AKA Tempered Hardboard. You can get it precut to 14 5/8" X 48" to make life FAR easier. Buy that spray glue if you are out anyway, right?

The box I am installing here is a reject from the group buy I set up. The one you either have received or will receive is nicer...but WTF, this is the test mule in the GFs car.

OK, very first thing: find your port tubes (packed in dirty underwear or plastic crap, inside the box):

Grab that sharpie and a screwdriver. Remove the stock midrange from the premium housing. Insert your port tube in the hole and mark with a sharpie where you think you need to cut to let it fall through, like so:

Here is a shot of my fat ass in the GFs '89, cutting the holes with snips:

OK, so soon as you have those holes done, take a break. NO BONGHITS! Just wait, time is near. Before the break, grab those port tubes out.

Break over? Great! Back to work.

So, I hate terminal cups. They suck balls, even the nice ones. MDF with a hole drilled is way stronger and more airtight.

So, drill a muthafuckin' hole!

No, wrap a wire tie around that ho and squirt a tiny bit of silicone on that:

Go ahead and mount your woofer. Then, you should shove the heavy ass bastard in your trunk...like this:

Now you surely have remembered the port tubes. These are an absolute whore to get in. Take your time, don't fuck them up. I promise, they fit perfectly. The smooth airflow makes a big difference in bass so DON'T FUCK THEM UP!

Now that you have taken a break after getting them in, your install should look like this:

Now, drill 4 small holes in each corner of what USED to be the ski boot hole and screw your box in place.

You are now ready to wire and make boom. Go ahead, piss off your neighbors...but not too long as it attracts thieves.

OK, so now time to make the back panel. Grab that template and either: Spray glue on it and glue it to the piece of wood I told you to go buy OR cut it out and trace it to that masonite...your call. Precision is important here, so cut the damn thing out as carefully as you can!!!ELEVEN!

You should end up with this:

I use a dirt cheap spray gun and "Landau Top Adhesive", but you are not too likely to be doing lots of this work, so screw it man, buy a can.

So, spray one side of that board...JUST AFTER YOU TEST FIT so you KNOW which side is supposed to be upholstered, like this:

Nice even coat, don't drown it:

So now do the same on the trunk liner AFTER you CHECK to make sure you are spraying the correct side!

Now lay the panel on the carpet, all flat like:
    Trim the edges of the carpet to the shape of the panel. Leave about 1.5" all the way around, like this:

Now carefully fold the edges over, pulling gently but firmly, like this:

Now comes the trimming of the corners. I pull the corners together adn clip off the "pinch", but do as you feel:

The backside, all finished:

Now, slip it in place. No need for screws or anything else, just shove it in front of the trunk springs, like this:

See how nice this fits?

Just so you know, this is also the reject trunk liner. You guys all got nicer stuff that matches the color better.

You can mount your amps to this, drill holes ( maybe BEFORE upholstery?) whatever...make it pretty!

I am off to the coast with my honey for a Valentines day mini vacation, so I hope all of you guys get these boxes, and I hope you are as happy with them as I am making them!

Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

That is very cool. Well done Luke!

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
    RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Thought I was the only one who hated terminal cups. After going through some of your old thread and posts OP you're the man to talk mobile audio with. I do quite a bit of it (decent quality), not professionally, but enjoy it so don't be surprised if I bounce ideas/questions off you (if that's cool).

That was OT, but that setup looks clean inside and out. Now you have me questioning my allegiance to sealed enclosures for my bimmers. Might have to plot a graph for a ported enclosure for my 12" Type R that's going into the e30.
      "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
      -----------------------------------------
      91 318is Turbo Sold
      87 325 Daily driver Sold
      06 4.8is X5
      06 Mtec X3
      05 4.4i X5 Sold
      92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
      90 325i Sold
      97 328is Sold
      01 323ci Sold
      92 325i Sold
      83 528e Totaled
      98 328i Sold
      93 325i Sold

Comment

Wow. I love the ports where the factory speakers were. Very clean! If only you had done this group buy before I spent weeks on mine. I'm a fan of the sealed enclosure also and would love to see how it compares.

So I already know you are a badass with the e30. Do you have something like this the E46 coupe?
        Last edited by 240zs30; 02-13-2008, 06:47 AM. Reason: ..
        sigpic

Comment

Does that speaker replace the mids and lows? I suppose it has a better output range than the 4.5.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
            Does that speaker replace the mids and lows? I suppose it has a better output range than the 4.5.
            Well, um, yes and no. You certainly can raise the crossover point and get something approaching midrange out of this subwoofer...more like mucky "voice" and I certainly would not recommend it at all...the good news is that the rear speaker locations suck ass so hard in an E30 that you are far better off without them at all!

Actually, it isn't that the rears suck so much as the fronts are just so fucking miserable (Mr. Bangle, hire my crazy ass to design audio in BMWs until I die, please!) that the barely adequate rears drown out the front.

Trust me on this: If you have a decent set of components, OE or not, you will not miss the rears. She has a little bitty Alpine 4 channel amp, reworked "Premium Sound" fronts and a single 12. It sounds terrific and adds so much depth and clarity to the overall sound it is just amazing.

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
            Thought I was the only one who hated terminal cups. After going through some of your old thread and posts OP you're the man to talk mobile audio with. I do quite a bit of it (decent quality), not professionally, but enjoy it so don't be surprised if I bounce ideas/questions off you (if that's cool).
            Hey man, thanks. You are very welcome to ask questions, but keep in mind I answer generally as best I can and I suck at typing, so it can be a slow and shitty process.

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
            That was OT, but that setup looks clean inside and out. Now you have me questioning my allegiance to sealed enclosures for my bimmers. Might have to plot a graph for a ported enclosure for my 12" Type R that's going into the e30.
            Look at it like this: 99.9% of all of the most respected home subwoofers are ported designs. There are good sealed, ported, transmission line...as long as it is well designed, it should sound good, right?

Here is the bitch: E30s are just fucking bass proof. I mean, seriously, a great sounding subwoofer in nearly any car will be really weak in an E30.

In my opinion, the solution is to get 100% of the energy into the cabin. Plus, Vented boxes being so much more efficient keeps the power demand down AND I can control the output of the lowest frequencies better...thus the rather low tuning frequency of this design and more port area than average.

Anyone who says they like "tight, punchy bass" should hear one of these. Yes, they can boom with the whole ghetto bass thing, but in my opinion, this box is the best compromise between the two worlds.

Originally posted by 240zs30 View Post
            Wow. I love the ports where the factory speakers were. Very clean! If only you had done this group buy before I spent weeks on mine. I'm a fan of the sealed enclosure also and would love to see how it compares.

So I already know you are a badass with the e30. Do you have something like this the E46 coupe?
            Oh man, you beat me to the punch! I have an E46 coupe coming in this monday for a custom box...it has been a while on the E46, so I get to sharpen up the calculator. But, yes, the E46 box is coming.

Thanks for all the kind words, guys!

Luke

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Awsome! I will PM you for more details As I don't want to get too OT. Can't wait. I hate that Harmon Krapton radio too.
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks man! I'll be doing my sub install this weekend.
                //OO=[|]=OO\\

Comment

that looks awesome... i am lookin to redo my car audio and i would love some feed back from you. I am looking to do something every similar to this. I have mostly alpine type r stuff
                  e30sport.net
                  '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
                  '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
                  '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

Great job! Love the pics. One thing.

Clean your shop, it's a frickin mess! :)

I love the smell of Landau adhesive curing in the morning and peeling that shit off your fingers in the evening.

Comment

wow nice work luke

I've always been proud of being a Marine.
                      I won't hesitate to defend the Corps
                      "Supersquad"

‎"Prostitutes are a sub-category of Amusement Parks"-

Comment

any locals have this set up? Curious to hear it
                        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                        My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

does the driver facing the inside have any effect? or are the ports actually driving most of the base in ?? I ask because i have a convertible ( and am closely following the cabrio subwoofer thread ),
                          how do u thing this setup would work on a vert, minus the driver facing inside? so both ports would befacing in

Comment

Originally posted by papajetta View Post
                            does the driver facing the inside have any effect? or are the ports actually driving most of the base in ?? I ask because i have a convertible ( and am closely following the cabrio subwoofer thread ),
                            how do u thing this setup would work on a vert, minus the driver facing inside? so both ports would befacing in
                            In my experience the ports need to be in the same airspace as the woofers output. I tried a few cars using the "woofers in the trunk, ports in the rear deck" approach.

Crap-ola.

I really have no clue about that type of install in a 'vert, and trust me, this shit cannot be calculated...but my guess is that it would suck.

Trying to explain how a hemholtz resonator actually works is tough, but that is actually what a port is. Basically, a "slug" of air that acts as if it were heavier that the woofers cone...so it operates at a lower frequency than the woofer does, but 180 degrees out of phase.

if the woofer is in the trunk and the port is in the car, it has nothing to be out of phase against, so it really cannot operate properly.

Closing SOON!

Comment

how about a 4th gen band pass firing into the cabin? have u had any experience with this setup. or would it be the same concept ( being out of phase with the driver?

Comment

Working...
                              X