Help. Pfeba Spoiler Repair.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help. Pfeba Spoiler Repair.

Here's a pic from the ad that was posted in a different thread.

Mine is the one in the middle row, far left. It is a hard foam spoiler.

The problem it that 3 of the six mounting studs have rusted away. I have trimmed the excess rubber/foam about the size of a penny around the stud where it mounts to a thin metal strip that's molded in the spoiler, and runs the length of it.

What i'm thinking, is drill out the rusted studs, and have new ones welded in. Think that'll do?

(I'll have actual pics tonight when i get home)
    turk@gutenparts.com

Originally posted by Janderson
    Properly placed zip ties will hold bridges together.

I'd cut or remove the studs, clean the mating surfaces, and use 3m VHB double-sided tape to re-attach.

Comment

That had crossed my mind. Maybe i'll leave the ones that are still intact, and still use the 3M tape.

I kind of like the added security of having some mounting bolts so some punk doesn't come rip it off the car.
      turk@gutenparts.com

Comment

use some sikaflex to fix it to the car and you will pretty much have to cut it off with a knife.
        Just a little project im working on
        - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

Originally posted by Madhatter View Post
          use some sikaflex to fix it to the car and you will pretty much have to cut it off with a knife.
          Was trying to avoid something so permanent. That's why i like the idea of having all these studs and using semi-strong adhesive for when i take it off in the future.

Started to drill out the one on the end. The others will be tough because the heads are so small. I may end up just having one welded on the end spot and not worry about the middle two.
          turk@gutenparts.com

Comment

I'd grind it down, drill next to it, and epoxy it in. DONE.
            Originally posted by Matt-B
            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Now hold on, my mtec2 spoiler was like this, hope you will understand me.
              1. Find the size of the bolt
              2. Use a drill chart to find what drill to use to make another thread (thread correct? where the bolt screw into? i know it doesn't screw in on the spoiler)
              3. Now use a tool (cant remember the name, pointy and looks ike a screwdriver) and hammer a little hole in the center where u want to drill. (can be good to grind the metal where the bolt were before a little, watch out for the hard foam, damages easyily)
              4. Now drill CAREFULLY (really, be EXTREMLY careful, if u wont u can drill through the spoiler) with the drill that u found on the chart, THE SIZE OF THE DRILL IS NOT THE SAME SIZE AS THE BOLT.
              5. Now I got the size of the bolt u need by getting the size of the hole u drilled and the size of a bolt on the spoiler that isn't broken and sum it.
              6. Now make some threads (to screw into) with the size that u found in step 1.
              7. I had some thing that looked like a very long bolt with no head, I cutted it down to the size I found in step 5. (grind the edges a bit, just a bit)
              8. Put epoxy in the hole, lots if it if u want to be safe, and screw the bolt in pretty tight.
              Thanks thats all and maybe someone can explain this better (proper grammar)

EDIT: I just read over it and it looks like shit, doubt that you will understand it...
              Axel
              BMW 320i Touring (M20B25)

Comment

Originally posted by maxel View Post
                Now hold on, my mtec2 spoiler was like this, hope you will understand me.
                1. Find the size of the bolt
                2. Use a drill chart to find what drill to use to make another thread (thread correct? where the bolt screw into? i know it doesn't screw in on the spoiler)
                3. Now use a tool (cant remember the name, pointy and looks ike a screwdriver) and hammer a little hole in the center where u want to drill. (can be good to grind the metal where the bolt were before a little, watch out for the hard foam, damages easyily)
                4. Now drill CAREFULLY (really, be EXTREMLY careful, if u wont u can drill through the spoiler) with the drill that u found on the chart, THE SIZE OF THE DRILL IS NOT THE SAME SIZE AS THE BOLT.
                5. Now I got the size of the bolt u need by getting the size of the hole u drilled and the size of a bolt on the spoiler that isn't broken and sum it.
                6. Now make some threads (to screw into) with the size that u found in step 1.
                7. I had some thing that looked like a very long bolt with no head, I cutted it down to the size I found in step 5. (grind the edges a bit, just a bit)
                8. Put epoxy in the hole, lots if it if u want to be safe, and screw the bolt in pretty tight.
                Thanks thats all and maybe someone can explain this better (proper grammar)

EDIT: I just read over it and it looks like shit, doubt that you will understand it...
                Don't worry. I understand completely. Good idea. The metal look very thin. I'm not sure if i will be able to thread it. If not, i will drill it a little bigger, and hold it there while i put a little weld on it. I will use some epoxy on top as well ilke you recommend.

Note* Step 3: the tool is called a "punch"

Thanks for your advice.
                turk@gutenparts.com

Comment

Working...
                X