Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A long time coming: M-tech 2 Vert (56K no-way)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A long time coming: M-tech 2 Vert (56K no-way)

I originally purchased this car last summer from an old lady here in Oregon. The power top had broken in the down position, and she left it outside in the PNW rain for about a year before I was able to rescue it from an inevitable date with the crusher. I had a thread started last year about the clean-up, it can be found here:

I removed the entire interior, cleaned the mold out of EVERYTHING, used an ozone generator to kill any mold/mildew/odor that remained, installed Dynamat, re-dyed the carpets, etc....

When September rolled around it was time to go back to school, so the car was put away in my dads garage for the winter and sat untouched until this April when I moved back to Portland to start an internship. First on the order of business that getting the 4x4 suspension settled:

THe subframe was a bitch to get out, it was really stuck in there. But this little wonder had it out in less than 5 minutes:

All empty!:

SS brake lines installed

Subframe back from Pacific Motorsports with IE camber kit, sway bar reinforcements, all new bushings and ruberized rustproof coating:

Rear 22mm IE swaybar reinforcements:

Front springs/shocks installed with M3 CABs, new CAs, IE 25mm swaybar and SS lines:

Vorschlag camber/castor plates:

Old, very leaky steering rack:

New E36 3.25 rack with new tie rods. Hooray for airbag cars! Direct bolt-in!:

Now it was time to focus on the interior. Here's a recap of last summer's activity. Removed interior and installed Dynamat:

Steam-cleaned (over and over) and re-dyed carpet:

The old seats:

The new seats back from the upholstery shop:

Smoking the tailights and shadowlining the trim:

transmission mounts are supposed to look like this, right? right?!?!?

At least the inside is sparkly clean:

Fuck this shit:

New pedals going in:

15lb 323i single-mass flywheel installed:

New tranny in:

Z4 shifter with all new bushings:

A little get together with the guys who came and helped. Thanks!!!

The bumpers before:

The old wheels:

The new wheels :pimp:

New OEM BMW rear window:
    Sorry, forgot to take pics!

Holy shit that's a lot of work! It's taken me about 2 solid months of working on it nearly every day after work to get to this point. I dropped it off for paint on Tuesday of last week and picked it up on Friday, just 2 days before the picnic. Would I be able to get it done in time to make it!?!?!?!?

You bet your ass I will :)

Other things installed:
    -smoke side indicators
    -smoke front turns
    -Hella H1/H4 setup with smoke LaminX
    -new fogs with smoke LaminX
    -New OEM BMW rear window (fits like a glove)
    -New OEM BMW weatherstripping all around ($$$$$$, yikes)
    -K&N panel filter
    -Full cut/polish/wax
    -converted from power to manual top (too expensive to fix, and I sold the power top parts for $500 so I came out WAY ahead)
    -re-dyed all the white vinyl in the car (door cards, seatbacks, toneau, etc)
    -Euro plate filler
    -Euro grills
    -Mtech 2 steering wheel
    -Alcantara e-brake and shift books with M color stiching
    -Matching M-pattern e-brake handle, weighted shift knob and pedals
    -lots of other stuff I can't even remember

Future plans:
    -NEEDS TO BE LOWARRRRRR!!!!!!!!!
    -finish fine-tuning the fitment of the top and windows so it seals out all the PNW rain
    -OBD1 M52 (currently sitting in garage, waiting for more moneyz)
    -3M clearbra up front to protect all the nice new paint
    -clear side markers instead of smoke, with white-painted surrounds
    -beadblast and powdercoat the weaves in stock white color w/ polished lips
    -probably lots of other things, it never ends :)

Thanks for looking, and thanks to all you R3vers who have helped me out in the process!:

Curt
    Jeff
    Joe
    Matt
    Josh
    Ken
    Alexei
    Last edited by CorvallisBMW; 06-09-2008, 05:05 PM.

damn that looks awesome. great work, it feels good to build a car up from scratch doesnt it...
    IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Way to turn up the heat.
      "The fabric of safety, drowned in resin..." - KevlarWeave

Comment

Wow....beautiful!

Comment

Sweet build.

Comment

Saw this at the picnic...looking good!

For what it's worth, I linked our e30 picnic picture thread to the guys over on the Spanish E30 forum, and they loved your car (they loved all the cars, but a couple made specific mention to yours). Cheers on a good build! Stay tuned for my m-tech 1 build :)
            sigpic
            An unlucky E30 I came across in Rotterdam, Holland

Comment

Absolutely awesome work!

Congrats on a very nice vert.
              Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
              Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
              One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

ha, nice thread! be thankful you dont/didnt have to deal with any rust like i do!! my ONLY suggestion is smoked elips and add hids. i hear the h1/h4 set up is bright but there is nothing better than elipsoids....to me at least. lemme know when youre ready to pull that motor and start up the 24 valve ill see if i can provide some help/knowledge from my old car.

Comment

Originally posted by smonkbmw View Post
                  ha, nice thread! be thankful you dont/didnt have to deal with any rust like i do!! my ONLY suggestion is smoked elips and add hids. i hear the h1/h4 set up is bright but there is nothing better than elipsoids....to me at least. lemme know when youre ready to pull that motor and start up the 24 valve ill see if i can provide some help/knowledge from my old car.
                  Thanks I appreciate it! I am tempted to just run HIDs in these lights. I love Ellipsoids, but considering I just spent $200 to buy these brand new, I don't want to ditch them quite yet. I have HIDs/ellips on the red car and I LOVE the setup though.

24v will be coming in the next few months (maybe), so I'll keep that in mind!

Comment

nice buildup.
                    Continuous For Sale Thread
                    323i s50

Comment

Looking great there. Local alpine guys need to gather for a photoshoot
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

HOLY SHIT.....that is so freaking clean. I also just picked up a cabrio that needs alot of work. I just bought a mtech II kit and my swap starts in 2 weeks.

I can only hope mine turns out as good as yours. I will use this as inspiration and motivation.

I also need a respray and don't know if I should stay with calypso or switch to something else. That Alpine sure is beautiful.

EXCELLENT WORK!!!!!
                        ~Fernando

Comment

If you decide to rub HIDs I have lightly used H4 HID 4300k bulbs. I'll sell them for $20 shipped. I'm close to just throwing them away.

Awesome job btw.

Comment

Sweet vert!!...well done...I almost bought 2 white ones similar to that... :(...enjoy!
                            BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Looks great! The only thing I'm not a fan of is the Laminx on the headlights. I have 100w bulbs in my fogs with smoked Laminx and the light reduction is substantial.

BTW, contrary to popular belief you can easily run an HID setup in your H1/H4 combo. The headlights have a nice crisp cutoff.

1987 E30 cabrio | Bumper swap | H&R Sport | Koni Yellow | Eibach Sways | BavAuto strut bar | Cardinal seats
                              MTech2 wheel | Husco Armrest | Smoked Hella Smileys | 5k HID | Stromung | RS003
                              | Shadowline | Amber Fogs | Too much else to list

Comment

Working...
                              X