Front Diving Board Removal: Please help, I'm a total tard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Diving Board Removal: Please help, I'm a total tard

Ok I didn't want to ask but apparently I'm extremely retarded. So I've read this :oops::

1. Get on your back under the front bumper of the car. Look straight up, and there will be a hole on the underside of the metal part of the bumper about six inches in from each side. In these holes, are the 2 large bolts that hold the bumper on the car. These are most likely going to be stuck on pretty well, having never been touched in 12 years. Get your can of PB Blaster, and spray them down, being sure to coat the entire head of the bolt where it meets the hole. You probably want to let this stuff sit for at least a few hours. We left it overnight.

and I don't get where the part I've put in bold is?? Look straight up where? On the shocks? I don't see any bolts? Honestly I don't? I've been looking for about 30 minutes and its pissing me off because I swear! I'm good with this stuff. (anyone have a picture or want to come over and hold my hand ;))

I feel really, really

Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
    ~ John Adams ~

Originally posted by Nicademus View Post
    Ok I didn't want to ask but apparently I'm extremely retarded. So I've read this :oops::

1. Get on your back under the front bumper of the car. Look straight up, and there will be a hole on the underside of the metal part of the bumper about six inches in from each side. In these holes, are the 2 large bolts that hold the bumper on the car. These are most likely going to be stuck on pretty well, having never been touched in 12 years. Get your can of PB Blaster, and spray them down, being sure to coat the entire head of the bolt where it meets the hole. You probably want to let this stuff sit for at least a few hours. We left it overnight.

and I don't get where the part I've put in bold is?? Look straight up where? On the shocks? I don't see any bolts? Honestly I don't? I've been looking for about 30 minutes and its pissing me off because I swear! I'm good with this stuff. (anyone have a picture or want to come over and hold my hand ;))

I feel really, really
    Holes in the bumper itself. What you're looking for is the bolt that holds the bumper onto the end of the shock. Your other option if you can reach them is to undo the 13mm (?) bolts that hold the shock on the car and pull the entire assembly off. They're on either side of the shock where it meets the car. That's how I took my front bumper off since I had an aftermarket airdam bolted to my stock front bumper.

Good luck,

Tim

1987 E30 cabrio | Bumper swap | H&R Sport | Koni Yellow | Eibach Sways | BavAuto strut bar | Cardinal seats
    MTech2 wheel | Husco Armrest | Smoked Hella Smileys | 5k HID | Stromung | RS003
    | Shadowline | Amber Fogs | Too much else to list

Comment

Thats it? Its the shock bolts!??? I don't think that DIY thread explains it very well. They should have more pics for handicapped individuals like me ;)

Whats the mm on those bolts?

Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
      ~ John Adams ~

Comment

I don't remember offhand, but I'd guess 17 or 19. I know plastic bumpered cars have hex bolts. Here's a diagram that should help, courtesy of realoem.com

1987 E30 cabrio | Bumper swap | H&R Sport | Koni Yellow | Eibach Sways | BavAuto strut bar | Cardinal seats
        MTech2 wheel | Husco Armrest | Smoked Hella Smileys | 5k HID | Stromung | RS003
        | Shadowline | Amber Fogs | Too much else to list

Comment

Well on 88s there was a hole for hex bolts, on the older longer diving boards there isnt, you just reach around back, thats how ive done it

Comment

Oh, and i beleive the shock bolts are 13mm, i just did this during my valance swap the other day

Comment

take pics!

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen027 View Post
                Well on 88s there was a hole for hex bolts, on the older longer diving boards there isnt, you just reach around back, thats how ive done it
                Yeah I kept looking for holes and there weren't any and I was thinking "It sures seems like the shocks are holding it up?". It also told me the wrong mm. You were right it was 13mm. It was super easy.

Got it off by the way. Good to go. Easy as pie :)

~ John Adams ~

Comment

Working...
                X