Water to Air Intercooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water to Air Intercooler

The first intercooler I designed out of necessity for my comp 4x4 what I did not expect was for it to work quite so well not only at cooling but pressure drop and performance are second to non.

The fist one may not look so pretty but this was form over function.

The independent test results below.

Map pre and post intercooler

Temp pre and post intercooler.

From there I went on to a friends TD42T Ford Maverick but by now we had refined my intercooler and grafted it in to the intake plenum.

YOU ASK YOURSELF WHAT'S HAS THIS GOT TO DO WITH BMW'S

A friend Andrew who does my tig welding works for a company called TrikFab, next door to where he works is PPM Racing. He got wind of our custom intercoolers and asked if we would have a look at his 1990 318is with a 335i bottom end, 745i turbo top end engine.

Just for interest the BMW we working on is running PPM H beam rods, PPM forged Pistons, PPM aluminum billet rocker arms and a PPM 4340 forged crank.

It will also need the PPM monster brakes it has with our intercooler.

The intercooler uses 4 Laminova heat exchangers.

Anyway I thought I would share, if this one works as well as mine did and I see no reason for that then the results should be very impressive.

The BMW will be running around 18psi.

Hope you enjoy Matt

Last edited by MattMc; 01-10-2009, 08:33 AM.
    The Mule

PPM Racing

Nice...that looks like a lot of motor in that little bimmer.
    -Andy

Comment

OK, WTF...if that is your shops skill level, make a goddamn intake for the M30.

GLORIOUS work, man. Fucking stunning.

Oh yeah, welcome to R3V.

We will infect you with E30 addiction.

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
        OK, WTF...if that is your shops skill level, make a goddamn intake for the M30.

GLORIOUS work, man. Fucking stunning.

Oh yeah, welcome to R3V.

We will infect you with E30 addiction.
        E30 intake with built in inter cooler no problem its on the to do list. Oh no shop were making them in the garage me and Andrew.

And no you won't infect me I have an addiction the worlds most powerful 2F FJ40

Last edited by MattMc; 12-21-2008, 04:18 PM.
        The Mule

PPM Racing

Comment

These are the end caps and water splitters we has CNC'd to take Dash 8 Speedflow fittings.

The Mule

PPM Racing

Comment

Oh man that is AMAZING! From the little I know about Air to Water IC's - is that they are really great for soaking up huge amounts of heat in short blasts like a street driven car sees (correct me if I'm wrong).

Can I ask what the inside of that IC looks like?
            Originally posted by Matt-B
            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I design my own custom housing to use the Laminova cores, but without having to use Laminova's own housings which are restrictive in application, as for short burst, these core with the right heat exchange will cool all day long.

Some useful info here.

The Mule

PPM Racing

Comment

Nice fab work ! Air to Liquid cooling? Nothing like it. Very effective. Been using them on later model BMWs since the mid 90s. Also check out miller performance out of North West Canada. Dan Miller. Has mastered the 745i M30 forced induction cars. Also quite a good chip tweaker. www.millerperformancecars.com
                Last edited by Oshm; 12-21-2008, 08:13 PM. Reason: usage
                Grease Monkey's Uncle

Comment

pricing on these???
                  seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by der affe View Post
                    pricing on these???

Once the R&D is sorted and the intercooler tested to it's limits we will sit down and work out a price.

Mine has broken new ground in some respects but at higher boost such as the BMW will run it is yet unproven.
                    The intercooler grafted in to the plenum on the Mav will be 12psi and tested early Jan so that should give us some idea if we are going in the right direction.

So watch this space for all the data we will not be hiding anything.

To give you some idea the cores are $217USD each from Laminova's online store.

These 4 way splitters with Speedflow fittings suit Stainless Steel braided hose are designed to split the water evenly through the intercooler giving each core the same cooling capacity. No hot spots or temperature differentials.

The Mule

PPM Racing

Comment

One thing we don't have for my engine is before and after results, as the Toyota straight 6 2F-ETI I had built for comp it's a one off.

Running custom JE pistons, ceramic coated tops and teflon coated skirts. Con Rods from Jaguar. The bottom end has a cradle to hold the crank in place, these old 2F's stock have only 4 main bearings. The crank was cross drilled with extra oiling holes and ground to suit the Jaguar rods and nitrated. The cylinders were re-bored to bring 4280cc up to 4300cc. The block was O-Ringed. Everything was balanced.
                      The head was ported and polished, larger flat faced Ferrea valves, valve springs by crow, ARP rod bolts,
                      The ECU is a Wolf V500, injectors are 550cc, 44mm Tial Wastegate, Turbo smart plum back blow off valve, Garrett GT3082R Turbo.
                      3" custom exhaust with high flow muffler and 4" snorkel feeding the turbo.
                      Lets not forget one 4 core custom Laminova intercooler.
                      This engine was built for torque.
                      The result in RED

The Mav was Dyno'd prior to any work been done, and after the intercooler was fitted but without the water cooling hooked up. This will be done over Christmas. This way we will have 3 sets of dyno figures with no adjustment to enhance performance other than the Intercooler.
                      Once that is complete DzlTec will then tune for max power.
                      The second Dyno run of the 4.2 Turbo diesel is on the same graph above in blue. This truck belongs to my competition navigator/winch man. Another willing test subject:D

One thing that shows well on the graph is my turbo after 85 kph slowly having to make a fraction more boost to compensate for the loss in pressure due to the hot air been cooled so well by the intercooler, this is reflected in the graph for MAP posted earlier.
                      Last edited by MattMc; 12-22-2008, 04:07 AM.
                      The Mule

PPM Racing

Comment

I'm very happy to see such great results from the water/air setup. My dinan turbo with the dinan SMIC dynoed at 260whp and 297lbs of torque. While transplanting the motor into my car i opted to replace the intercooler setup with a water/air one. Its def. going to be an improvement... i just wonder how much... haha.

Dave
                        E30 Dinan Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by bimma360 View Post
                          I'm very happy to see such great results from the water/air setup. My dinan turbo with the dinan SMIC dynoed at 260whp and 297lbs of torque. While transplanting the motor into my car i opted to replace the intercooler setup with a water/air one. Its def. going to be an improvement... i just wonder how much... haha.

Dave
                          Make sure you have been Laminoved for optimum performance ;)
                          The Mule

PPM Racing

Comment

Sexy stuff there. :)

Comment

Originally posted by MattMc View Post
                              Make sure you have been Laminoved for optimum performance ;)

Hahah... had to look up laminova to know what you meant.
                              E30 Dinan Turbo

Comment

Working...
                              X