Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OEM Install Issue - 'BMW Business' CD HU...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM Install Issue - 'BMW Business' CD HU...?

Hi,

I was referred to this site by a member; hopefully someone is able to help as I'm a borderline car audio-phobe...

I don't own an e30 (I've owned one, if that counts!), rather I own an 89 e34 (Alpina B10 3.5), and I want to install a BMW Business CD Head Unit for aesthetic and insurance purposes. It currently has an after market HU.

I purchased the BMW Business HU, and my understanding was that, although for a 91+ model year, with an adaptor, it would work in my 89.

The stereo install who tried to do the job recently told me it can't be done, as upon the removal of the aftermarket deck, he states that, unbeknownst to me, a seperate BMW amp, which won't work with the BMW Business, as the BMW Business has its own integral but much less powerful amp.

My questions:
    1. Does this make sense?
    2. Can the BMW Business CD HU be made to work? If so, how?

Thanks,
    Chris

To my knowledge, the majority of oem bmw head units feed oem amps.

Assuming the Business headunit is a CD33 or CD43, it should be setup to feed a "stock" amp. I do not see why you could not run the signal outputs from the deck (front right, front left, rear right, rear left) to the corresponding wires leading to your amp. Here is the pinout for the cd43.

You can get the e34 wiring diagrams here.

With this, it should simply be a matter of lining up the wires in the dash to the wires on the deck.
    Last edited by digital_cowboy; 05-04-2009, 06:01 PM.
    -Will

1987 325is, 1989 325i, 1997 318i
    Parts for Sale

Comment

Do me a quick favor: pop the deck out of the dash and take a quick shot of your wiring, then post it here.

I wanna see what scared the waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles-ass installer you went to.

Make sure you show me then ends of the aftermarket deck wiring.

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Hi,

Thanks very much for the quick replies.

I have little free time during the work week so it may take longer than I'd like, but I'll remove the aftermarket deck asap, and take the requested pics, and then hopefully we can get this done!

Best Regards,
        Chris

Comment

Chris, putting a CD43 in an E36 (not the 318, right?) would be a 15 minute job.

Having the amp makes it easier...

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Its an e34 alpina b10 he is putting it into.
            Originally posted by codyep3
            I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
            2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
            1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
            1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
            2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
            2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
            2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
            2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
            2010 F650gs twin
            2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
              Its an e34 alpina b10 he is putting it into.
              Should still be basically plug and play with the correct harness.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Working...
              X