Getrag 265 + Driveshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getrag 265 + Driveshaft

Hey guys I searched around and couldn't find any specific info on this so I figured I would toss up another annoying post, haha. Are any of you running a g265 with Funk's mounts on a b34? If so which driveshaft are you using? I found some info on using the g265 (seems to be some driveshaft cutting involved) but I wasn't sure what mounts everyone was using which I am assuming would alter the length of the driveshaft needed. I currently have a brand new "big guibo" eta driveshaft that I was planning on using but from what I was reading it seems that it might be too long? I also have the whole driveshaft from my e28 in case cutting is the only way. Any advice would be great.

Thanks again!
    Brian
    $500, Diamantschwarz, and a Dream

I believe people have used the front E28 driveshaft and rear E30, not too sure I just remember reading that!
    1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Front 1/2 = E34
      Rear 1/2 = E30
      Full E30 M3 ?

Mix and match E30 guibos + output flanges + CSB ( vice versa)
      http://www.kingofeurope.net/2010/

Comment

When you say "e30" are you talking any specific model or any old 325? Have you guys actually done this or are you just throwing out ideas? No offense intended, just checking.

Comment

"Looking into this solution in further detail I noticed that the driveshafts off of the E34 M30 and E30 M20 had the same exact diameter on the front and back sections of the pipe. The only difference in length was the rear driveshaft on the E34 was longer than the E30. The rear driveshafts had the same exact bolt pattern that would hook up to the differential (something like 4" x 4"). The flange on the rear driveshafts that mated to the front driveshafts were exactly the same length and had the same tooth pattern. Here is how I went about doing this driveshaft modification. This is much easier with 2 people but could be done by one person.

* On the M20 driveshaft place some identifying mark on which part you are using and/or not using. Do the same for the M30 driveshaft.
          * Measure the original driveshaft from front to back and write it down somewhere, like on one of the pieces of the driveshafts you will be using with a paint pen.
          * Unscrew the cap on the rear driveshaft using a pipe wrench or channel locks. This will make seperating the driveshafts much easier. Seperate the driveshafts and place the M20 rear to one side for a moment. Be sure to keep the cap as you will be using it when you reassemble your modified driveshaft.
          * If there is a center bearing on the front M30 driveshaft, remove it. Use a screw driver or center punch and knock the bearing off. This could take a few minutes but be patient and it will come off. Don't worry about destroying it as you won't be reusing it.
          * You are going to place a new M20/E30 center bearing onto the M30 front driveshaft. Place center bearing onto the flange and either have a friend hold the U joint or hold it in a vice. Put some general purpose grease on the flange and place the old M30 rear driveshaft back onto the flange. Hit the driveshaft until the center bearing is completely on the front driveshaft. Remove the rear part of the M30 driveshaft.
          * Smooth out the grease again and place the rear M20 driveshaft onto the front M30 driveshaft. Line the front and rear driveshafts up with the white dots on the U joints to keep things as close as balanced as possible.
          * Move the driveshafts on the flange so that the length is the same as the original M20 one. Tighten the cap on the rear driveshaft so that it will hold the length constant. You could also wait till you install the driveshaft and tighten everything then"

Quoted Info from Jared Sq.

Comment

Wildstoats did you find figure out what DS to use. I have the same situation you are in so let me know your solution.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987E30project View Post
              Wildstoats did you find figure out what DS to use. I have the same situation you are in so let me know your solution.
              Still working on it. I'm on vacation until the end of the week so I won't have a chance to look at the car again until then. I will let you know what I find out though. Unless you figure it out first, in which case you had better let me know what you find out! :p

Comment

I'm missing some parts for the swap so it'll be a couple of months before I get started. Good luck!!

Comment

Don't know much about the 265 trans, but I would imagine
                  it would use the m3 driveshaft/linkage/shifter holder/cross member,
                  bolt up perfectly since they did come out of the m3. :?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

I dont think so... I have an m3 drive shaft with my 260/6
                    '86 E30
                    '05 E53 X5
                    '72 Firebird
                    '10 Prius
                    '03 Tundra

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                      Don't know much about the 265 trans, but I would imagine
                      it would use the m3 driveshaft/linkage/shifter holder/cross member,
                      bolt up perfectly since they did come out of the m3. :?

Correct me if I'm wrong.
                      There is alot of false information in this thread.

Yes you can use the m3 transmission crossmember.

I used a e24 635csi crossmember and slightly modified it.
                      I'm using a early plate style shifter that I've shortened:

My drive shaft is the original e30 one which has had the front half shortened and had the larger guibo flange welded on.

Basically the g265, as a good a gearbox as it is, is a little less plug and play IMO.
                      Last edited by Doughnut; 05-20-2009, 11:47 PM.
                      ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

Doughnut,

Can you elaborate on the modification to the shifter?

Thanks

Originally posted by Doughnut View Post
                        There is alot of false information in this thread.

Yes you can use the m3 transmission crossmember.

I used a e24 635csi crossmember and slightly modified it.
                        I'm using a early plate style shifter that I've shortened:

My drive shaft is the original e30 one which has had the front half shortened and had the larger guibo flange welded on.

Basically the g265, as a good a gearbox as it is, is a little less plug and play IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987E30project View Post
                          Doughnut,

Can you elaborate on the modification to the shifter?

Thanks
                          Shortened and a plate welded to front of plate:

Shortened and a plate welded on rear of plate with round bar for support to e30 chassis:

Underneath plate detail:

My engine mount brackets are my own design.

If you choose to go down this path and you are using funks, e30.de, good and tight's brackets etc it will vary in length. Joseph.
                          ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

Is there no bolt on shifter holder?
                            How about linkage?

Comment

Any Picture of shortened DS on G 265 ?
                              And, how much did it costs ?

Comment

Working...
                              X