Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

non-premium to premium sound...

Please excuse my ignorance...

Went to the junkyard yesterday and pulled the premium sound out of a car...

premium kick panel speakers
    tweeters
    premium rear speakers
    stock amp
    I already had a stock HU...alpine cm5908 (looking for another...same model btw)

I know that the in door tweeter wires are pre-run for non-premium sound cars, but I was wondering if the stock amp wires are pre-run as well? With the stock HU I have, should I even worry with the stock amp? I didn't actually have to pay for the amp...I told the cashier that it may be useless.

Once I find out about the amp, then I will probably have questions about wiring the tweeters to the front kick panels. I have been viewing this thread for a little bit of info....http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...tweeter+wiring
    Click image for larger version

Name:	kick_panel_wires.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	7213367
    sigpic

After wiring it correctly (i think), I have found that I have one bad mid and two bad tweeters. I am not hooking up the stock amp.
    sigpic

Comment

Let me know what you find out. I posted the diagram on the other thread and still haven't had a chance to mess with it. I tested the speakers before installing, and know all of them work. But at the moment mids work, tweets do not.
      M119 M42 M62 S52 S62

Comment

it could be that you have the speakers wired up wrong. the premium speakers for the fronts have built in crossovers. if you dont have the wiring right, it'll sound like crap because the tweeters will be getting full signal instead of just the signal for the highs. just mess with the wire positions till things sound better.

do you still have an OEM HU or aftermarket? I have an aftermarket and rewired all the speakers instead of trying to figure out the common ground system the factory used.

Comment

If you look at the link I have of the other thread, there is a diagram of the non premium stereo kick panel/tweeter setup (the one that says fail on the tweeter). Later in that thread, somebody says that the diagram is correct. All of the connections fit perfectly. I didn't have to do anything but find the wire and plug it in thanks to bmw prewiring it.

I got a tweeter from my buddy that works for sure in his car and it didnt work either, so I assume it is the wiring but where do I look? You think something is not wired correctly at the HU?

As of right now, I have an OEM HU.
          sigpic

Comment

The tweeter wiring is goofy as hell.

1 of the tweeter wires (the positive) goes to the mid driver, on the largest of the 3 terminals.

The other tweeter wire (negative) connects (small blue plug) farther down the harness, like 5" in front of the midrange.

One of these days I will do some kind of write-up on this crap!

Luke

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

So what do I do to install the factory amp I picked up? Do I need to go pull the amp wiring on the car that I pulled the other premium parts from? Suggestions would be wonderful!!!
              sigpic

Comment

I looked for the amp wires in the trunk to see if they were pre-run for non-premium cars...they were not there!!
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X