Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Concerns about the cost of having an E30 as a DD....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concerns about the cost of having an E30 as a DD....

Hello All,

I have been looking to find an E30 as a DD for a couple of weeks now. I am trying to keep this as a cheap car, around 1k. Being in Socal there are a lot around to choose from but I have concerns about running cost or cost to get up to running. I had a 92 miata with 200k that I bought for the same purpose and it ran like a champ. Cost me almost nothing to run it. Now that we have a baby another miata is out of the question as we need the back seat. So I immediately thought E30, cheap dd, done. After reading post like this:

From Peerless on E30tech

"E30's are going 2 ways now. Either they are snapped up by a enthusiast that is going to restore or at least put $5k into it.....OR...They are going to the junkyard.

There are no more 'Daily Drivers' in 'Good Condition'. Its either been owned by a enthusiast and taken care of.....OR.....Its just a 20+yr old worn out chassis.

You should never pay more the $1.5-$2K for a E30 in 'Standard Used' condition. Enthusiast E30's can go for more, much more if properly done.

I just helped out a kid with a $900 beater special (85' eta 5pd), after parts and labor with misc parts and help from another freind as well he has $2,500 into it and now has a 'Daily Driver'. New timing belt, hoses, oil, diff and trans oil change, rebuild shifter console, rear trans seals, interior seats and door panels, etc.. Original flat 'Gazelle Beige paint with no major accidents."

I understand these are 20 years old or older now, but so was the miata. One of the things I saw in common with the miata was inexpensive parts and tons of used parts around. So I guess what I am looking for is some people's experience with sub 1.5k cars. So let me hear some opinions.

Thanks all

About 2 years ago I picked up a 1990 4-door auto bronzit with 175k miles for $1,300 that had full records and lots of good service. Use it along side my 275k mile '87 325is when I don't want to drive a stick. Car has been great so far.

I think it's always going to be a case by case basis. Finding something with a good service history will pay off in the long run.

Good luck with your search, SoCal is a great place to find them rust free which I think is the only way to really kill an E30... RUST!
    Lance Richert '88 M3, #35 PRO3, i3 etc.
    www.LanceRichertArchitect.com

2019 E30 Picnic Weekend: June 22-23 2019

Comment

Don't listen to anyone from emotech.

I bought my four door eta for $800 and aside from routine maintenance and a few mods/upgrades it has been 65k of trouble free driving returning better than 25mpg on average. The only thing major I had to do was the drive shaft and it has never let me stranded.

If you buy one that has been maintained relatively well it should be an economical dd in socal. Do you need a/c or are you near the coast?

Comment

A/C is a must out here in Palm Springs Area. 120 in the summer :(.
        I do have my 2003 Evo that will keep me cool if the a/c goes out. Trying to keep the miles off her and my wife's E39 525 Touring(awesome, but repairs cost us over 8k this year).

Another thing is 318 or 325?

I was thinking 318, more like a miata with a back seat and lighter. Also easier to swap in a m50 if the engine falls apart. also better mpg

The power side of me says you need to have that inline 6.

Comment

The eta has no power, is an inline 6 and gets good gas mileage.

What are you looking to spend?

Comment

get a 4dr eta. late model 318's are hard to come by in many places.
            sigpic

Comment

He's right that a sub-$1k car is going to need some investing. The car in his example was a $2500 car because he did the work and charged shop rates. If you can do it yourself you can save a bunch. If you find the one you want be ready to jump on it, cash in hand.

1987 E30 cabrio | Bumper swap | H&R Sport | Koni Yellow | Eibach Sways | BavAuto strut bar | Cardinal seats
              MTech2 wheel | Husco Armrest | Smoked Hella Smileys | 5k HID | Stromung | RS003
              | Shadowline | Amber Fogs | Too much else to list

Comment

I am looking to spend around 1k. I have already found several 89-91s here in socal, but most are a drive since I am 2 hours outside LA. I may go look at a 91 318 sedan tomorrow for $900(not the asking price btw) 200k a/c, heater, windows, and sunroof all work as per owner.

I am not afraid of a little work or cosmetic issues. Mostly solid motor/trans/suspension. I can work with beat interior or bad paint. In fact one of the thing I loved about the miata was I only had to fix little cosmetic issues.

Comment

I understand the shop rates, but I also understand parts for my wifes 525 Touring are not very cheap. I can do most work on my cars, so if the car needs $500 in parts over the next year I am good. Just not looking to spend more then I paid for it in the first year.

It seems to me from the research I have done that they are pretty simple and with the right tools you can do anything at home, aside from an engine or tranny rebuild(skill wise).

Comment

a engine is easily rebuildable at home. i rebuilt a 5.4L V8 ford truck engine in my basement with basic tools. tranny's aren't that bad either you just have to dive into them.
                    sigpic

Comment

I live in Temecula and if I can help you I'd be happy to. You will need to scour Crazedlist.org, be ready to drive, and have cash in hand for the right car. You should also be keeping an eye on Vegas and Phoenix if you are looking for a later model.

1987 E30 cabrio | Bumper swap | H&R Sport | Koni Yellow | Eibach Sways | BavAuto strut bar | Cardinal seats

Comment

Is this the car?

Comment

dont go with a 318, you'll be happier with a 325i or 325is. ive had my 325is for a couple of months now driving it literally EVERYDAY from orange county to los angeles. No hiccups. my uncle actually loves my e30 and hes driving a brand new 5 series. E30s can be really reliable IF its taken care of properly. dont rush into buying one either..take your time, youll find the right one.
                          sigpic

Comment

I hate to be like this, but for ~$1K - the money would be better spent on a used Jap car.
                            -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Originally posted by surfevo View Post
                              Hello All,

I have been looking to find an E30 as a DD for a couple of weeks now. I am trying to keep this as a cheap car, around 1k. Being in Socal there are a lot around to choose from but I have concerns about running cost or cost to get up to running. I had a 92 miata with 200k that I bought for the same purpose and it ran like a champ. Cost me almost nothing to run it. Now that we have a baby another miata is out of the question as we need the back seat. So I immediately thought E30, cheap dd, done. After reading post like this:

From Peerless on E30tech

"E30's are going 2 ways now. Either they are snapped up by a enthusiast that is going to restore or at least put $5k into it.....OR...They are going to the junkyard.

There are no more 'Daily Drivers' in 'Good Condition'. Its either been owned by a enthusiast and taken care of.....OR.....Its just a 20+yr old worn out chassis.

You should never pay more the $1.5-$2K for a E30 in 'Standard Used' condition. Enthusiast E30's can go for more, much more if properly done.

I just helped out a kid with a $900 beater special (85' eta 5pd), after parts and labor with misc parts and help from another freind as well he has $2,500 into it and now has a 'Daily Driver'. New timing belt, hoses, oil, diff and trans oil change, rebuild shifter console, rear trans seals, interior seats and door panels, etc.. Original flat 'Gazelle Beige paint with no major accidents."

I understand these are 20 years old or older now, but so was the miata. One of the things I saw in common with the miata was inexpensive parts and tons of used parts around. So I guess what I am looking for is some people's experience with sub 1.5k cars. So let me hear some opinions.

Thanks all
                              I agree with what you quoted, and especially so if you're going to be driving a baby around. Any non enthusiast owned car is going to have worn out suspension components and who knows what else. Adding up all the little things it will cost a lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X