318i + m52b28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

318i + m52b28

Hi Everyone, i've been reading the forum for a long time, here's my first thread, my m52 swap!

Been reading a lot about swaps and I'm getting ready to do mine....on the cheap. I would love advice/help from all of you experienced swappers, and if you live in the Denver, CO, USA metro area, come over to my house and help me! (Free beer)

I had been looking for the perfect swap candidate for a long time, and finally found it. A 1991 318i sedan with 127k on it - I love the 4dr body style.

Its a bit dirty right now, but i'll get it cleaned up. Previous owner claimed it wouldn't turn over and was seized, but I can get the m42 to turn by hand. Battery is on the charger, going to try and kick it over tonight. The whole car was $500, there's one tiny spot of rust where there's a tiny dent on the back under the right tail light, and the interior is pretty torn up. I love craigslist.

I was perusing craigslist a couple days later and this popped up - 98 528i 5 speed for $1k. Slid on some ice and wrecked both passenger side wheels, and deployed side airbags. But the engine(m52b28 ) and tranny(zf 5-speed) are in perfect shape. High miles - 189k - but service records the whole time, as well as head gasket & other big time work at 159k.

I'm tryin to find all the parts I need, but one question I have right now is driveshaft. I've seen posts that refer to the drive shafts from:

E30 M3
    E30 87-88 325e drive shaft
    E36 328 manual (96-98 )
    E36 (97-98 ) manual (4 bolt rear not CV joint rear)

Does this still apply to the 4dr? I would think that it does, but have been unable to find confirmation.

Hoping to pull the m42 out, whether it starts or not, tomorrow night.

Plenty more pics on the way, I'll keep this thread updated.

Thanks all!

Looking for a clean e30 shell for a project.

Originally posted by monkeytaco View Post
    I'm tryin to find all the parts I need, but one question I have right now is driveshaft. I've seen posts that refer to the drive shafts from:

E30 M3
    E30 87-88 325e drive shaft
    E36 328 manual (96-98 )
    E36 (97-98 ) manual (4 bolt rear not CV joint rear)

Does this still apply to the 4dr? I would think that it does, but have been unable to find confirmation.
    yes sir, those are the right ones. Also kudos to you on doing your homework. Looking forward to seeing this progress.
    -Alex

Comment

Thanks Alex.

With a fully charged battery I tried to crank it over and it sounded bad, real bad. Like rod or crank bearings. No good.

Pulled the valve cover off to look for shavings of any kind - it was really clean, like an engine with only 127k.

I'll probably part out what I can, we'll see if anybody wants the parts...

Hopefully I can pull the m42 out tomorrow night!

Comment

Finally got the engine pulled last night!

I found a driveshaft + engine mounts that I'm picking up on thursday, it looms ever closer...

Comment

Sweet!
          Now get a Diff and you'll be good to go

Comment

Any reason why you chose to separate engine and tranny? I mean from my experience it was easier for me to pull everything all out at once.

Goodluck with the build man, are you going to keep the M52 stock?
            IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Looking good. You really should have taken the motor and transmission out together. I bet you for the time it took to unbolt the bell housing from the block would be the same or less time unbolting the 2 bolts for the transmission brace, 3 bolts for the guibo, and locking clips on the shift carrier/selector. Only difference is you would have the motor and transmission out in one swipe. Keep us updated.

-Jasper

SINdelle:E36 M3 5-Lug | 17x8 & 17x9 BBS RS | S52/ZF | 2.93LSD/3.5HFM/24lb Injectors/C&S Chip[B]SOLD[B]

Comment

nice, planning to do the same swap but in a 91 318is - hurry up so I know what to do

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

I'm about to do the m50 swap in my 91 318is. Buying the engine tomorrow!! Which means the swap starts after work on Saturday. Or on Friday night. Keep us updated. Also it says what driveshaft to use in here. http://www.e30dohc.com/wiki/index.ph...HC_Swap_Basics

It says to use the e36 325i driveshaft. I would think the manual too.
                  Last edited by ahriley91; 02-05-2010, 12:27 AM.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=162444

Comment

well i have gotten a little stalled as work has been busy and the kids sick, so i haven't gotten into the garage.

i think i've completed my research, as much as i can without doing actual work and getting stumped...

the only dilemma i have right now is whether to wait and compile the parts for the obd1 swap, or just keep it obd2 and deal with the wiring.

since i have the entire 528, i can even keep the ews system and run 2 keys, but I don't know if the hassle is worth it.

the thing that keeps me interested in keeping obd2 is the whole deal will cost less. I'm on a shoestring budget so any savings are good.

speaking of budget, anyone need any parts from the m42? (crank bearings were shot) :-D

Comment

Picked up some parts today!

That's an m50 intake manifold and fuel rail. my oil pan dipstick & tube - the pickup is in the plastic bag. hiding behind the oil pan is an m50 throttle body just for fun. Also, where you can't see in the box there be hiding some engine mount brackets.

All this for $140. Craigslist + ebay woooo!

The driveshaft and other engine bracket deal didn't work out, so i still need a driveshaft. The local pull and pay has 4 good e36 donor cars I'm going to check out for that and the rest of the obd1 parts (and an e28 535is - crossing my fingers for diff....).

Comment

So I guess you decided to convert to OBD-I? That is a smokin deal on the oil pan and intake manifold! I am still trying to find an E34 oil pan for my S52 swap at a local picknpull because I don't want to pay $150+ for one!

Comment

Yep, decided to go OBD1, mainly because the wiring is easier and the hp gains, even if minimal, will be worth it.

Sellin parts like mad from the m42 to pay for obd1 parts!

Comment

Went to the pull and pay today...

the 535 had 340k on the clock and the diff was f'd (car was hit in the left rear - axle looked like it punctured it, BIG accident).

the e36s were picked over. no driveshafts, diffs, intake parts, ecu's... nothin. booo.

the only one with anything on it was a 92 325i with a non-vanos m50. i grabbed the cam and crank position sensors cuz they were $5 each, will these work for the swap? havent found any advice other than "buy new" or "make sure they are obd1....i'm doing this on a really really tight budget...

I managed to scab a couple temp/oil pressure sensors and a couple good hoses, but I'm not that much closer to having the parts...

by the way, it pisses me off that people cut wiring harnesses to get the ECUs out, i don't want a harness without a connector. argh.

Comment

Well, I took some more pictures of the car, and I've done a few things:

Start them young:

Some pics of the bay, documenting the whole 'before'-

Couple exterior shots -

Real dirty (and yes, i haven't pulled the transmission yet, you're all right about pulling it with the engine, i'm a lazy slacker)-

Notice the cracked dash (and my son 'driving' lol)

Nasty seat covers, but they'll protect the seats from any more damage for now.

nasty seats, think this sat in the sun?

some trunk action (i'm a picture whore)

more interior

Alpine white FTW

more...

Comment

Working...
                              X