s50b32 e30 325i tech1 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update:

Next on the list was the intake plenium clearance. The heater pipes were in the road.

Brendon took around an inch off the pipes. to fit the new samco heater pipes. Yes .. bloody samco heater pipes. lol

Out the come. Tissue paper to stop my pet hate of coolant all over the carpet

Needed to shorten the pipes. And I wanted to test out my new dremel tool:) 33,000rpm cutting tools rule.

Test fit the hoses, had to sort out the gromet to fit the hoses. More dremel action. No photos on this, but I needed a face mask as it was like doing a burn out in rays workshop .. the smoke that came off it was insane.

Inside fitment

finished position .. will clamp it up when everything is put together

Next is the oil cooler and headers mock up. Also a shed load of parts inbound from BMW

Comment

Sorry for the lack of updates .. We have actually been working on the car just doing a lot of prep work and setting up for the new modified headers.

Quite a bit of cutting on the #6 pipe and re shaping. While keeping it eqaul length and no sharp angles was no mean feat. A friend of the missus has done all the welding work, having gone solo after spending his time working on some big budget race car projects in his time .. and his tig welding workmanship shows. Great to have some one like him on board.

4 areas of concern

1 #6 hits the firewall
      2 Rear pipe collector touched the Sway Bar
      3 #6 fowled the steering colum
      4 Post collector long pipes need to be modified to hug the body better while retaining the correct length to the mid muffler as not to effect torque.

With out further ado.

Test fitting the new modified pipes.

Top view.

Underneath.

Shortened and reflanged to provide a more liner path. O2 sensors to be retapped into new secondary pipes.

Tig welded factory flanges .. super stoked on the job done so far.

Welded to factory outlet flanges.

This is before we installed the steering rack back in to check. you can see the lack of clearance we have to play with.. but we will get there :)

Now the steering doesn't quite clear the number 6 just yet .. so a little rework is going to be needed .. however we will have something later this week hopefully :)

Comment

This arrived yesterday all the way from the U S of A .. 7 week wait but well worth it.

Comment

No photos this time ... Still playing paddy cake with the headers vs steering rack input shaft vs steering coupling vs sway bar. Its pretty got darn complicated so we are shipping the car down the the welders workshop for him to complete.

While it's down there it will be getting a custom twin 2 1/4 inch mandrel bend stainless exhaust system to be welded up. Complete with X Pipe. Still sussing the muffler out .. but we are looking around two weeks for a test fire :)

A LOT of parts in bound from germany .. hopefully some of the last orders ... I feel sorry for Gary @ JC. My email to him today went something like this.

"Hey mate, Sorry to f**k up your friday afternoon .... " :D

erm .. Oh and I managed to drop the brake booster into be painted.

That and I curbed my right rear Works wheel on the e46 yesterday .... most of the way around ... :angry:

It will be off to Arrow wheels on moday to be sorted out. Its only curb rash .. but it broke my 2 1/2 year record of not stuffing them.

Oh and a massive thanks to Ashkan for the lend of the gearbox cross member while mines on back order. cheers dude, without it we could complete the headers next week.

Comment

Bought some more stuff today :)

Having searched high and low for a atleast dual 2 1/4 input that wasn't made from playdoh .. I opted for something else

Remus e60 550i single 3.5 inch input and dual 2.25 output.

This thing is huge :)

So I will have a second 2 into 1 collector at the end of the 2.25 stainless dual pipes.

Also a first pic of the MSS50 Siemens DME.

New Walbro 500hp external fuel pump and mounting kit. I had the option to go to a bosch 044 but it really would have been over kill @ 700hp.

Also a shot of a MSS50 map dump Im mucking around with

Hopefully have another cool update for wedensday all going to plan .. but you will have to wait and see :)

Comment

cheers :)

Exhaust update:

Guess what bitches ... it fits!!!!111one

So some pretty major work has been done to get the z3 2.8 turn rack (from the 4.0 standard rack) everything ended up being 'tweaked'.

You can also see the new runner pipes from the collectors. After some advice from Gavin the runner size was kept to 2 inch to retain the b32 torque. Going 2.25 inch will get you more peak, however the pipes have been calculated to handle 400 HP nicely as it is. Which is bang on the money we reckon for the range this engine will be operating in.

The 550i e60 exhaust rewelded to clear the M-Coupe diff :)

Like a glove :)

Thats all for now. The complete system should be done Friday afternoon as with the Oil cooler.

Comment

Damn. Awesome project!

Comment

Holy Shit, well done mate! Definitely subscribed to this one. Have you got any pictures of the car before you started tearing into it? I think I'm surprisingly liking the way the old school tech 1 kit looks with the more modern LM wheel!

What's the e30 scene like in the New Zealand/Australia part of the world? Do you have a hard time sourcing parts for a project like this?

Comment

I love when people post nearly complete builds like this!

That was some nice fabrication, clearancing the header for the steering knuckle!

Pardon me if it was mentioned, but what brake booster / master cylinder is that?

Originally posted by whysimon
                    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Superb work.

Lee
                      Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Wow, this build thread is amazing in itself, buuuuut.....

I need to see more pics of that touring. Namely, the red interior :)
                        turk@gutenparts.com

Originally posted by Janderson
                        Properly placed zip ties will hold bridges together.

Comment

waw definitely subscribed
                          Originally posted by FredK
                          However, in your absence, I will likely sit in your seat buck naked while making racecar noises as if I were maxing your E30 out on the Mulsanne Straight while allowing the perforated vinyl to soak up my butt sweat (going 200 mph does that to you).

My year in Germany
                          Feedback

Comment

What a nice surprise for this Thursday morning!
                            All I see is "s50b32 e30 325i tech1 project" on the main page.. OH. Dont mind if I do. *click*
                            :D

Comment

Hello Josh.
                              Zorsts coming along nicely.
                              sigpic

Comment

Wow is all I can say! This is an awesome build, I love the detail.

Just 1 question: Does having the steering knuckle surrounded by super-hot headers have any effect on it? I know there is rubber in there, won't it get murdered by all that heat?

Comment

Working...
                                X