Project Money Pit - A 24v Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Money Pit - A 24v Story

This is to document my car build & engine swap, and to dissuade anyone foolish enough to follow behind me on a modest budget. I set out to build a simple, inexpensive sports car with ‘80’s style, with enough power to be interesting, but with 4 seats to accomodate kids. A Porsche 911 was out of my budget, an Alfa Romeo GTV-6 was too finicky, and Camaros had no style. I settled on a BMW E30: With a sweet 6-cyinder, great handling, a nice sports package, it seemed ideal. I was intrigued by the Spec racing series and GrassRoots Motorsports project cars, and the Kelly Blue Book says they can be had for $2k or less. So I set out to find a nice example.

A word about objectives: Keep expenditures modest, and do most or all the work myself. I had moderate mechanical skills and limited tools. I didn’t want to go overboard, so I set a goal of keeping the car within the limits of the SpecE30 series. If some solid tightening up and a few thousand in bolt-ons would make it raceworthy, then the only thing left would be to “tighten the nut that holds the wheel.” Serious racing was out of the question, but I had an interest in trying autocross. Clutching my latest issue of GRM, I set a hard budget at $5k, including the cost of the car.

After wasting time looking a thrashed-out beaters, I came across a great example: all-original 1988 325is, two-owner, with an inch-thick maintenance folder. It was a nicely optioned, Alpine White with black leather sport seats, maplight mirror, basket weaves, the works. The bad news: The suspension was worn out, shifter was like stirring paint, and it needed some deferred maintenance. It was also well beyond my target price, but… never wrecked, no rust, hey, it was all there.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guerc; 03-09-2010, 11:22 PM.

Money Pit - 2

First order was to clean out the interior, and patch up a few tears in the leather. A Z3 shifter and new bushings made a world of difference. A few months later, swapped to plastic bumpers. Tinted windows were necessary, given non-functioning A/C and summer temps over 110o. I bought a Bentley manual and “101 Projects for your BMW”.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guerc; 03-09-2010, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Project MoneyPit - Part 3

I had the undercarriage thoroughly steam-cleaned at a truck stop: best $50 I ever spent. And God Bless California… not a spec of rust. I used to live in Buffalo, NY and grew up working on rusted-out derelicts. I paid my dues, I deserve this luxury.

Found a guy parting out a wrecked car. Nearly-new Bilsteins, BavAuto springs, and…. Oooh! A spare M20 engine! And a Dinan chip! Package deal for $400. At this point, the hard budget became more of a guideline.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Guerc; 03-09-2010, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Project Money Pit - Chapter IV

Installed the suspension and added 21mm Suspension Techniques sways. New bushings and rubber everywhere I could. Went with M3 springs and sold the BavAutos to keep it at reasonable height.

Check out the difference between OEM 325is and aftermarket rear swaybars.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Guerc; 03-09-2010, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Spent quite a bit of time thinking over my M20 engine build. I priced out a full-on rebuild vs some simple head work, and everything in between. The stock engine ran fine, but… well, it wasn’t overwhelming. A little extra oomph would make a difference. I was intrigued by the possibilities of a 24v swap. Yeah, this was the point where I first departed from my original objective of “within the limits of SpecE30.” And budget, what budget?

Wow! Came across a smoking deal on Craigslist! Found an M3 being parted out. Low mileage S50 engine… ZF Trans…. Close-ratio steering rack. Boom, I hit the ATM and hauled it all home. It all cost just a few grand.

The next morning, I was physically sick... I spent far too much and I’m way beyond my original constraints. The “Nut that holds the wheel” is still mediocre at best. I put an ad up on Craigslist and within days sold the whole S50 Engine + Trans package for a few hundred more than I spent. I cried a little inside when the buyer rolled away with "my" engine.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Guerc; 03-09-2010, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Project Money Pit - A New Beginning

I found that once you go down the 24v rabbit hole, it’s hard to stop, and I found myself obsessed with doing an engine swap. I set up a spreadsheet and tried to find a way to do it cheap(er). I searched Craigslist and found a nice complete E34 M50. Add M3 cams, and we’re almost there. I figured I would keep my original Getrag 260 and 3:73 limited-slip to keep costs down.

I did all the maintenance on the engine. New water pump, oil pan & valve cover seals. Installed new VANOS seals and fixed the Oil Pump Nut. Degreased and painted everything. Compression was good, so I left the head gasket alone.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Guerc; 03-09-2010, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Project Money Pit - The Road Warrior

Despite best of intentions, this is where the costs went horribly awry. I questioned my ability to pull off an engine swap. I didn’t have the flexibility to leave an engine-less car sitting in the garage for weeks/ months (years?!?) on end. After talking to different shops and a few independents, I made an appointment at Valley MotorWerks in Sacramento. They have a solid reputation in the E30 world, and field a car in the Spec30 series.

I dropped the car off, with promises that it would be done “in a few weeks.” This is where time and budget completely got away from me. VMWerks treated me right, but a race shop doing custom work doesn’t exactly keep costs down. I lost the ability to source parts off Craigslist. We had all sorts of delays and the incidentals really began to add up.

As they pulled the engine out, various deferred maintenance issues became apparent. Heater core, steering rack, etc, etc, all had to get replaced. Replaced all the tranny seals. Added Treehouse lollipops. With costs escalating, I was starting to panic. Nearly two months rolled by before I finally got the following in my email:

Anyway, here's an engine bay shot. After all my moaning & bitching about cost, I must say that VM Werks did a very clean, professional install. It looks like the engine was born in that spot. It starts up every time, and idles like a new car.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Guerc; 04-03-2010, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Project Money Pit - Part IX

Baby got a new set of 225/50/15 shoes and period-correct rims. I searched for 15” Euroweaves, but couldn’t turn down a great deal on these rims.

So that’s where we are now. We’ve long since eclipsed the $5k all-in budget I originally set for this car. Once it stops raining, I need to detail the car and do a proper photoshoot. The paint is nice, but the car hasn’t lived in a garage since 1998, so it could use a tub of rubbing compound and a good polish. Comments & feedback appreciated.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Guerc; 03-09-2010, 11:29 PM.

Comment

I still can't get over getting rid of a low mile S50, and replacing it with an M50? But, anyways, nice build youo have there. Looks like money well spent. Keep up the good work.

Comment

car looks good. as long as your happy with the out come dont stress too much about costs! its obviously "done" now so just enjoy it hahah.

looks good.

Comment

The cost issue really isn't that huge of a deal, but I'm a CPA and a CAB (cheap-ass bastard) so that's how I keep score. It really hasn't been a money pit. I bought the car as an occasional weekend hobby car. Since then, it has been reliable enough to be a DD, especially thru rainy NorCal winter, so I guess I'm getting some added value there.
                      It's a great "BART Car".... drop it off and don't worry about it. Here in California, parked next to the new MBZ's, Audis, & Bimmers, it's just another beater. I even see some people parking newer 911's outside at the BART station, and some guy occasionally parks his Maserati Quattroporte there too.

Upcoming work that needs to be done
                      -- Get it past Calif. smog referee.
                      -- Upgrade cooling system (especially a high volume pusher fan) before summer.
                      -- Detail exterior - Buff out or wetsand the dead layer of paint on hood, trunk, roof.
                      -- Detail the interior - Dye the seats, replace driver cushion, maybe throw on new leather.
                      -- Disassmble driver door and fix the sticky lock and worn-out window motor.
                      -- Finish off the details. I enjoy big projects but it's the small crap that I hate. I have no patience for it.
                      Last edited by Guerc; 03-10-2010, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Good story
                        sigpic

Comment

I'd have a good run at polishing the paint with GlossHaus or similar.

Here's $250 E30 story:

Single stage paint there, but you get the idea.
                          1985 E30 S52 - Daily Driver
                          1986 M635Csi - For the best days

Comment

Nice! Where in the bay are you?
                            cars beep boop

Comment

Thanks for comments. I'm in Concord, in the East Bay. That $250 E30 story is fantastic. Inspires me to pull out the rubbing compound this weekend.

I don't know if it is 1-stage or 2-stage, so . When buying the car, I searched out Black, Red, and White, since I understood these to be single-stage paint. I've had people emphatically say both. I wet-sanded the '89 plastic bumpers when I installed them and they were definitely single-stage.

See here for back-and-forth bickering on the issue:

At least the clearcoat, if there is one, isn't damaged anywhere. There are quite a few rock chips and door dings, as expected. I've never seen any indication of clear coat. But what the hell do I know.
                              Last edited by Guerc; 03-12-2010, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X