Alternator / Starter wiring Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator / Starter wiring Q

So, which goes where? The layout of the terminals seems a bit different than what I've read - its certainly different than the starter I replaced. It's a stock 260 getrag starter.

Blk/grn is the smaller of the two, Blk/ylw is bigger. I'm guessing they go on the terminals corresponding to their size? The largest terminal should get the big red wire from the alternator and the body harness coming out of the e36 harness cover, correct?

The other red wire pictured is also coming from the wiring harness cover, and is smaller than the wire thats currently on the alternator. Where does it go? It's a ground, correct?

Okay, so that mystery wire is power to the fuse box for an e36. I can't remember where it was originally connected.

Comment

Apparently it can just be bolted to large terminal on the starter with the other two power cables.

Comment

from the B post you should have the E30 wire to your fuse box, and a wire from the M50 harness to your starter, and then the M50 wire from alternator connects to the same post on the starter. the M50 harness when originally in the E36/E34 also powered the fusebox, thats what the extra wire is for. some people cut it off, others connect it to any positive place(B post, or starter work fine)

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

any links on perchased goods!? pm it to me plz!

Simplicity is your best option!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Two View Post
            The other red wire pictured is also coming from the wiring harness cover, and is smaller than the wire thats currently on the alternator. Where does it go? It's a ground, correct?
            Red is never ground. Only solid brown wires are ground. You can cause yourself catastrophic problems if you mess that up.

Connect the smaller wires to the post on the starter that they fit on, one is smaller and one is larger, just like you said.

Comment

no grounds there.... 2 big ones go exactly where they fit ( which is where u have them )
              black yellow only fits below those. that should be your starter switch wire.
              black green should fit on the top post that is empty on your picture. thats your unloader wire. unloads all accesories when black yellow wire is powered. meaning that when u r cranking ur starter all available power is sent to the starter by cutting off radio, blower motor, windows,..... etc

Comment

Apparently that wire was retained and used to power the e30 fusebox, and I had forgotten I had disconnected.

It was a long day.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM View Post
                  from the B post you should have the E30 wire to your fuse box, and a wire from the M50 harness to your starter, and then the M50 wire from alternator connects to the same post on the starter. the M50 harness when originally in the E36/E34 also powered the fusebox, thats what the extra wire is for. some people cut it off, others connect it to any positive place(B post, or starter work fine)

Can you run the wire from the M50 harness that went to the E36 harness to the E30 fusebox? Then would you be able to get rid of the original E30 fusebox power wire that runs from the B post to E30 fusebox?

Comment

Originally posted by cbusrehab View Post
                    Can you run the wire from the M50 harness that went to the E36 harness to the E30 fusebox? Then would you be able to get rid of the original E30 fusebox power wire that runs from the B post to E30 fusebox?
                    I am thinking of doing this as well, does anyone have experience with it? I haven't opened up the e30 fusebox to see if it can be done. It would clean up my wiring a bit by removing an extra power cable that seems unnecessary.

Looking for a clean e30 shell for a project.

Comment

Originally posted by cbusrehab View Post
                      This.
                      That is what the smaller red wire is for that is pictured in post 1. it goes to the E36 fuse box. You can route this to the E30 fuse box instead or rip it out.

Check Us out on Facebook
                      Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                      Full Product Line Tuning
                      OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

alright. So does that mean that if I hook that wire up to the e30 fusebox and I can then get rid of the power wire running from b post to fusebox that was used with the m20. Trying to clean up wires that I don't need.

Comment

Yup.

Check Us out on Facebook
                          Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                          Full Product Line Tuning
                          OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
                            X