No announcement yet.

1992 E30 Convertible - Convert Electric Top to Manual Top - HOW?! - PLEASE HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1992 E30 Convertible - Convert Electric Top to Manual Top - HOW?! - PLEASE HELP

My convertible top motor doesn't work. the top rolls up half way then one of the other folding mechanism fails

at about 14 second you notice the back flap fold to allow the lid to go down, that part never happens and the lid tries to close on the top.

Id either like to fix this or better convert this to a manual top.

Can someone point me in the right direction... i don't know where to go

bump

Comment

It's very common for the top motor to physically break and fail. there is a fix that can be had from Germany but it's a little pricey.

This site is Cab specific and has lots of useful info regarding manual conversion...http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...c/messages?o=1
      Suspension tips here...
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

I havent been to bimmer forums in a while, but I think I reemeber seeing a thread on that there
        mine is a manual so I did not pay a bunch of attention to it

Comment

Disconnect the top from the motor, there should be a bolt that holds a black metal arm to the top of the motor. Take that black arm out. This allows you to move the top manually. Does your lid motor still work? If it works you can just open the lid electronically, fold the top up or down and then close the lid. If the lid doesn't work electronically. You have to find someone parting out an early convertible that has the latch mechanism for the manual lid. Everything will bolt right up.
          1993 325ic Schwarz/Natur
          1991 318is Black/Black - Slicktop - Project s52
          1989 Alpine White/Black M3 S52
          1988 Henna/Pearl M3 <3

Comment

May need tension straps or re-sync. some good info here

Comment

It's easy to convert from auto to manual. You'll need the latches and cables from a manual top. Just pull out the old motors and linkages and install the 2 toneou lathces and release cable w/ handle.

Comment

Working...
              X