Reasonable price for an M30 Swap???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reasonable price for an M30 Swap???

I'm seriously considering an m30 Swap into my e30 as opposed to doing a "e/i hybrid" turbo motor . I have access to a low priced m30 that currently doesn't run because there is no transmission or ECU in the car (1987 635csi auto) What is a reasonable price for all the other parts req'd to swap it into my e30. I know the motor mounts are 200Euro. I'd still need to source a transmission, flywheel and clutch, later oil pan plus all the other non engine parts.

If you are good at searching out deals I'd say you could get it done for anound $1000, but expect to pay $1500-2500 for a well set up swap.
    Byron
    Leichtbau

Comment

The main components you'll need that cost $ are:

Manual transmissions usually go for $350 +/- in my experience.

ECU - $50

You'll need an e28 535 rad, can be had used for about $75.

E34 oil pan and gasket. Used pan $100.

You "may" need radiator hoses from E28 unless engine came with them. $50

Clutch / pressure plate - $300 +/- (I have one PM me if interested)

Flywheel - $100 used if you're lucky, then get it milled and balanced

Custom engine mount bracket - about $250 (I think, ck the forums)

Driveshaft work - you'll have to buy a used driveshaft (about $100) and put the front of the 535i driveshaft with the back of a 325e driveshaft (again, ck forums, I might be wrong on the model).

Electric Fan - you can use your a/c condenser fan, but better to use a pusher type fan in front of the rad. About $100.

You'll probably want to change belts and fluids. $150

Those are the bare minimums if you don't open the engine (new seals/gaskets) or put in a new clutch, change flex disk, solid engine mounts, or add any performance modifications.

$1625... bare minimum.

Can easily be more than double that if you do it "right".
      Last edited by talltorontoguy; 05-17-2010, 02:02 PM.
      sigpic
      Winner - Best Engine, Bimmercruise 2010
      Runner Up - e30 Wild Category, Bimmercruise 2010
      Winner - Best Cabrio, Trillium @ Tedfest 2011
      Winner - e30 Wild Category, Bimmercruise 2011
      www.vertnation.com
      My car in Berlin Klassic promo video

Comment

^I think you left out the most important part, the engine. Also if ever get around to do this I will not buy individual parts. Buy an e34 535 with a manual for around 1k, sell all the other shit you don't need and it could be really cheap.
        Originally posted by b3albakii
        the head was okey .. and in a good mood
        no i didnt over heat it so much
        www.blunttech.com

Comment

Originally posted by foofopps View Post
          ^I think you left out the most important part, the engine. Also if ever get around to do this I will not buy individual parts. Buy an e34 535 with a manual for around 1k, sell all the other shit you don't need and it could be really cheap.
          The OP stated he had access to an M30, so he didn't feel the need to add it to things he'll need.

But I agree, I would buy an e34 for an M30 swap. Makes it easier.
          Cornering is like bringing a woman to climax.
          -Jackie Stewart

Comment

Originally posted by DragonOrta View Post
            I would buy an e34 for an M30 swap. Makes it easier.
            How?
            Originally posted by Matt-B
            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I cannot speak from experience, but if you buy an e34 5-speed you don't have to switch oil pans, you already have the harness, ecu, drive shaft, exhaust manifolds, ect.
              www.blunttech.com

Comment

A 5-speed would make it easier - but a wrecked e34 5-speed is next to impossible to find.

Comment

There is one on CL right now in chicago for $999 and im sure its still negotiable but I don't know if im going to bite the bullet...
                  www.blunttech.com

Comment

Well - you made a lair out of me!

Comment

A rusted out 535iM is one thing, but if you find a clean 535i don't get it just for the engine/tranny.
                      Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

I respect the e28, but the e34 can go to the scrap pile when Im done with it, speaking of CL deals, check out this 87 535is too bad its an auto
                        www.blunttech.com

Comment

I'd say 75% of the e34 535i's for sale up here are 5 speeds. Not sure why.

Rough prices though if you buy everything seperate:

$300 -engine (junkyard, average price)
                          $150 -transmission clutch and flywheel (junkyard, average price)
                          $100 -driveshaft (online forums)
                          $250 -Mounts (used on forums)
                          $200 -radiator (new, don't cheap out, it's a pain to replace it once its in the car)
                          $50 -hoses (same as above, except not as much of a pain)

And thats all you really need to get you going. Theres still some other things you may need depending on the condition and year car they're going into, such as:

$300 -every new gasket ( I hate paying this, but the peace of mind is almost worth it)
                          $600 -New clutch, resurfaced flywheel (rough guess, haven't had to get one new yet)
                          $75 -e32/4 oil pan and pickup (forums)
                          $100 -early e34 engine harness (forums, ebay)
                          $200 -shortened/balanced driveshaft

plus roughly 10% for miscellaneous stuff that you WILL forget
                          Byron
                          Leichtbau

Comment

It depends how much you shop around. I got it done for ~$500. All depends on timing really. But a proper M30, plus some good maintenance parts before dropping it in, will land you at about $1000-1500 in total for the swap.

- E
                            Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
                            EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
                            FullOpp Stickers for sale!
                            NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
                            Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
                            ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

Every person's goals are different. M30's are rock solid motors - and yea, you can do then for under $2k. That and the amazing amount of TQ puts this swap leaps and bounds above a m50 swap. It's harder to do, but most of us are stupid that way and like to wrench - so that negative is actually a positive.

Here's my budget. I was gong for more of a daily driver, nice install, with no issues, and no "I'll do that in 6 months" kind of thing. I'm really happy.

Comment

Working...
                              X