Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help/advice on trying to fix my recline problem on my comfort leather seats....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help/advice on trying to fix my recline problem on my comfort leather seats....

With the help of Levent yesterday, we took apart my driver's seat pictured below with hopes of fixing my seat...it does not want to recline (in any position). Initially we thought it was a bad shock somewhere, but after pulling every shock, all had full tension. We checked the tabs that normally break on the back of the seat and all that was intact, including the cables that allow people to get into the rear seats. We even replaced the handle mechanism on the left side of the seat with another one.....no dice.

Later on in the day I decided to grease up the mechanisms on both sides. It did seem to help a bit and started to move the seat, but only with the help of moving the latch mechanism on the right side of the seat using a flathead. It almost appears that the latch system isn't fully extending on the right side of the seat compared to the left side....which causes the whole seat to lock in one position. In addition if you pull the lever up, the seat doesn't automatically retract to the upright position.....you kind of have to help push it up in order to move it. What part of the seat assembly controls this? My assumption was if all the shocks were working right, it should retract fine.

Question is, what other things can I look for in order to fix the frozen reclining option? I picked up a right side assembly of the seat, but have yet to put that in since i'm skeptical it will make any difference. I may be over thinking the complexity of the seat system, but its' pissing me off, b/c I really want to salvage this seat since the condition is great. Does the rod the goes thru the bottom portion of the seat (that connects both mechanisms) fail for some reason? When I pull the lever on the left side, the right side seems to move fine.

www.instagram.com/snwmble
    #snwmble

Current:
    '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
    '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
    '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
    '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
    '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
    '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
    '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
    '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

in the meantime i'm prepping for my rear headrest mod :)

www.instagram.com/snwmble
    #snwmble

Current:
    '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
    '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
    '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
    '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
    '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
    '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
    '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
    '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Working...
    X