Head lights not working.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head lights not working.

I was bombing (~60mph) across Rt.49 between Charlotte, NC and Raleigh, NC this past weekend around 9:30PM. It's a pretty rural road in parts with not too many road lights as you get toward Asheboro, NC.....read very dark.... when my lights (mains, highs, and fogs) all go out. Quite a shock! Lucky there was zero traffic. I hit the brakes and found a driveway with a light on a poll. Checked the fuse box (every thing is good). WTF! The only tools I had was a Phillips screwdriver.....no flashlight, no multimeter, no nothing.....(note to self!). Worked on it Monday afternoon and found that the pin 86 of the headlights and high beam relay circuits was not working. I pulled the relay/fuse circuit board and found that the circuit foil was fried. There is not very much metal on the board. Once I knew the problem it was easy to jumper-in a piece of wire for a fix.

So how come this happened? …Well I have been running 100watt H1 bulbs in the headlights and 50watt H1 bulbs in the High beam, for the past year. (stock is usually 50w for both). Apparently too much current for the circuit board, and over time, the circuit degraded and eventually burned out from the heat.

It’s not gonna happen again, because I jumpered w/ jacketed 12 gauge wire.

If your pushing the wattage on your headlights, you may wanna preemptively jumper the circuit. Now that I have the jumper fix, I’m gonna try pushing the high beam wattage also. ;)

Cheers
Working...
X