I have news...e46 rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have news...e46 rack

Just installed an e46 m3 rack this past weekend. Same procedure as the e36 swap.

I used e30 tie-rods as the e46 tie-rods were far to long and lacked necessary adjustment to shorten them an appropriate amount. I used 14mm spacers underneath the rack at the back holes and had to modify the column assembly with 3/4" spacers just below the steering guibo.

For these spacers I machined aluminum inserts that pressed in and allowed the use of 3/8" aircraft bolt...so no slop and no clamping force holding my steering shaft together.

Power steering hooked right up though it required a slight bend in one of the lines in order to clear the steering shaft assembly. If pics are necessary I can try to take a few...I was too dirty during to grab the camera...
    Last edited by Apps; 09-20-2010, 03:23 PM.

Is it shorter than the z3 rack?

Originally posted by stewie30luvr
    ooo cause i was fixing my chain tensioner and there was a black widow on the radiator so i killed it
    Originally posted by JakeP
    with a coathanger

Comment

Originally posted by jasonsnoddy View Post
      Is it shorter than the z3 rack?
      Probably not. It's 3.5 turns ltl, although it might allow more steering angle.
      2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
      2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
      1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
      1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
      - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
      1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
      1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
      Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
        Probably not. It's 3.5 turns ltl, although it might allow more steering angle.
        Correct...don't know about the z3 rack but the rack gear shaft itself measured almost exactly the same as the e30 rack

Comment

btw 3.5 ltl is unimportant its the 15.4:1 ratio that means something...
          ...which is faster than all but z3 and e46 330i
          Last edited by Apps; 09-20-2010, 04:46 PM.

Comment

post up pictures, good work.
            sigpic
            New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
            %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

Need more details/info/part numbers :) The wider the selection of racks we can use the better!
              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Tomorrow night I'll get some pictures/part number/details for you...

Comment

write-up e46 rack

Ok so I started out with this in my trunk... magically appeared one day...

Then I started machining spacers for the rack and spacers for the steering shaft that would press in and house a 3/8" aircraft bolt...no slop...

After a long period of wiggling parts and bolting things back together I'm left with this ugly mess on some old carpets in the trunk

And finally pictures of the steering shaft spacers in place

And pictures of the mounted rack

And pictures of the id plate, e46 tie-rods (about 1 inch too long), and the e46 boots that I used on the e30 tie-rods

Oh yea don't forget to hook the pas lines back up...I gave it one day without and as long as this cars sees the street in any form pas will be on it...though I doubt slicks would be much fun without pas at the track either

Try to look past a little bit of the grime...none of it is from the new rack all from having the old rack and lines dump in there when taking it apart.
                  Last edited by Apps; 09-21-2010, 01:55 PM.

Comment

the majority of those pics are broken

Originally posted by stewie30luvr
                    ooo cause i was fixing my chain tensioner and there was a black widow on the radiator so i killed it
                    Originally posted by JakeP
                    with a coathanger

Comment

not anymore...you reply too fast... ;)

Comment

off topic but what bar is that? I have the same one but never could figure out what bar it was

TIA

Taylor
                        Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
                        Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

I assume your talking about the front sway?...It's a 25mm IE bar though I think there 22 would look the same...is yours hollow?

Comment

Hows the steering with this rack???
                            #ShenanigansE30 1989 Touring AC Schnitzer S3 replica http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=320784
                            Ruffian 1987 318is 2 door Hartge project http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=290863
                            Natalma 1990 Touring AC Schnitzer S3
                            #GlorianaE28 1986 525i
                            #AnniePowerE34 525i 3.2 M50 with AC Schnitzer S5 parts
                            sigpic

Comment

When you say PS lines hooked right up, do you mean the stock e30 lines, or other?

Comment

Working...
                              X