Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sudden bucking 1988 325

Hello,
    I have a 1988 325 and have been trying for some time to figure out what's going on. Here are the symptoms:

the car will suddenly buck, the rpms don't drop but I think the dash warning light with 2 green arrows (I don't know the exact meaning of this light) will flash. The exhaust also at this time makes a sputtering and popping noise. And during those brief seconds it happens it stops accelerating and then suddenly resumes.

I hope that is a good enough description I'll be glad to answer any questions to help and here's a list of other relevent info...
    1. The green arrow warning dash light comes on occasionally but after being shut off over night it usually goes away
    2. In the last year I have replaced the fuel pump and the fuel relay as well. I have also relaxed the alternator.
    3. So far solutions I have tried are: tap testingthe ECM, replacing the main relay, replacing the main air intake boot, testing the MAF sensor and the TPS.
    4. The car has about 250k miles on it from what I can figure (odometer hasn't worked since I've owned it. Oh and it is a manual trans
    5. And lastly I have been in a accident having rear ended some and two wires are hanging from the drives side part of the front bumper, I have had it up in the air and they don't hook up to the fog lights, and I couldn't see where they went so I figured they were on the horn and have just tucked them up.

Any help or recommendations are welcome!
    Thanks in advance,
    Arizona

do a stomp test, see what comes up. those two arrows i think is where the check-engine light should be. my cluster is that way atleast. also see if the engine acts the same way when its not in gear. that way you dont screw up ur transmission.

Comment

What's a stomp test?

Comment

start reading at " For BMWs equipped with OBD I, you can read the codes using ..." http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...de_Reading.htm

Comment

ah, yes I have had it scanned and there are no codes present.

Comment

I had a similar problem on my car after I did some work on it. I had accidently broken the ties that were holding the crankshaft position sensor, it knocked the wire onto the main crank pulley and wore off the outside sheathing. Everytime the wire touched the metal pulley, it would ground out. Check that. Fairly easy to check and replace (and this would not throw any codes as well).

Comment

I tried the stomp test, but nothing happens? Where is the CEL supposed to be? Even when i crank the car I dont see it.

Comment

is the light flashing a bit randomly timed? I'm having a similar problem. I believe it's my O2 or my AFM since as soon as this the light flips on my idle becomes erratic.
                But is fine again as soon as the light goes off.
                It's super annoying tho when people think I'm revving my engine at a stop light haha

Comment

I had this issue with my 528e,never fixed it.

Comment

I'm having the same problem, but the op was able to describe it so much better than I could have.

I thought mine was a fuel problem. I have checked just about everything I could think of. New fuel pump, tune-up, etc. I am so ready to get to the bottom of this.
                    '02 Outback wagon
                    '87 325is 5sp
                    '93 Kawasaki ZR1100

Comment

I'll give the crank sensor a shot, not at the car now but will post results.

Comment

any new update? i am interested to know what this was.

Comment

I moved my crank sensor wire....just a lil bit, and that seemed to fix my problem.

THANKS GUYS!
                          '02 Outback wagon
                          '87 325is 5sp
                          '93 Kawasaki ZR1100

Comment

Working...
                          X