sport seat knob trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sport seat knob trouble

Trying to redo my seats. Having trouble removing the circular-ish knob that moves the piece under your knees in and out. It doesn't appear to have a clip on the outside or the inside. I have tried to pry it off but im afraid of prying too hard and cracking the trim piece under it. I have tried to spin it off but that doesn't seem to be working either.

Anybody done this or know how it comes off? Am I just not spinning/prying enough?

Thanks
    89 325i: 86 535i motor+trans, JE forged pistons, MLS head gasket, ARP head studs, Comp turbo, GoodNTight b34 turbo manifold, e30.de motor mounts, AKG 75D engine/trans mounts, custom 3" exhaust, intercooler, MS2PNP, Megan Racing Coilovers.

Originally posted by jim325 View Post
    Trying to redo my seats. Having trouble removing the circular-ish knob that moves the piece under your knees in and out. It doesn't appear to have a clip on the outside or the inside. I have tried to pry it off but im afraid of prying too hard and cracking the trim piece under it. I have tried to spin it off but that doesn't seem to be working either.

Anybody done this or know how it comes off? Am I just not spinning/prying enough?

Thanks
    Just did it this weekend, it just prys off. I was afraid to break it like you, so I used to flat blade screwdrivers, one on each side of the knob, to pry it off and just worked slowly.
    Scott '91 318i/5 spd

Comment

The first time I took apart seats I too had a hell of a time with that knob. But it's a piece of cake now that I know how.

Just take two tools, like a hammer or adjustable plier, and at the same time lever it up on both sides. Even the most stuck on ones will pop off with little trouble.

Picture = 1000 words

Comment

wow . Excellent responses. Super fast too! I tried the hammer and pliers method. Worked great and didn't crack the trim piece underneath. Thank both of you very much!! :bow: Saved me a TON of frustration and likley broken seat parts!
        89 325i: 86 535i motor+trans, JE forged pistons, MLS head gasket, ARP head studs, Comp turbo, GoodNTight b34 turbo manifold, e30.de motor mounts, AKG 75D engine/trans mounts, custom 3" exhaust, intercooler, MS2PNP, Megan Racing Coilovers.

Comment

Working...
        X