BBS RM 025 Black Edition Refinish Disassembly Polish DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBS RM 025 Black Edition Refinish Disassembly Polish DIY

Friend was browsing Craigslist as he and I always do. Might find a deal on a fun DD. Might find a car to flip. Might find a beater to part out. Always fun! Well we stumped upon what we thought was a 1987 325iS with some beat up BBS RS wheels. We went and picked it up.

We got a pretty rough 1987 325iS and what we THOUGHT were the BBS RM 15x7 et25 that was sold to BMW E30 owners. Turns out after getting them off we have a much rarer set! BBS RM 025 "Black Edition". Polished lips, polished face, dark gray/black accents and black bolts. Wider than the rest of their RM brothers.

15x7.5
    et19

So where to begin? Wash them of course. No photos here but soap and water. Get to scrubbing with your hands or brushes. You would be amazed at how dirty some wheels can be in the nooks and cranny. Their build dates show they are from 89 and 90. So 20 or 21 years old. There is some dirt!

Before:

After:

Now to get down to the dirty work. We need to take them apart so we can polish the lips and tackle the centers. Tools used here:

-12pt 8mm Socket(BBS RM centers are threaded so no nut)
    -Ratchers/Extensions
    -Gloves
    -Torch/Heat Gun
    -Rubber Mallet

Wheel Ready for Disassembly

Get your friends to help as there are 30 bolts per wheel. Start to take them apart. Get something safe to put your bolts into. If you are trying to 'save' the finish I would put a latex glove, thin cotton or something to protect the finish. This will make it a TIGHT fit but still workable.

You will find 1 bolt cannot be removed as the valve stem is in the way. You can either remove the Valve Stem before or after you take out the other 29 bolts. 14mm socket and a flat head screw driver. Keep all the pieces together!

Now we need to get the lips off. Heat and a rubber mallet. Use gloves to handle the wheel and lip and get the silicone/sealant hot. Use the rubber mallet to work it off. Take your time. DO NOT rush this. Once it is to the proper heat level you can easily pop the lip off. Work it around and remove the lip. Do not use a pry bar, screwdriver etc. It will come off when it is ready!

Tools Need:
    -Torch/Heat Gun
    -Rubber Mallet
    -Patience

Tools and a wheel:

Apply Heat:

Continue to heat and apply rubber mallet:

Repeat 4 times!

Save your hardware!

Stay tuned for the rest of the work! Polishing lips. Refinish centers. And of course putting them back together! Big thanks to my friend Blake and John here on the forums for the assistance!

this is going to be nice, really nice.
    sigpic
    New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
    %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

Stoked to see the final result, after what you did with your car. Have fun.
      Matt

Comment

beautiful pick.
        1989 325i - sold
        1987 RX-7 Turbo II - sold
        1990 325i

Comment

Sweet.
          Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

These are going to be beautifal when they are done! I love the black spoke insides.

Comment

Rs<RM!!!

Subscribed.
              1991 318IS

Comment

Thanks guys. Waiting for the weekend to come back around.

Comment

Nice write up so far....hope to see some "in depth" lip repair [bends.....scratches.....curb rash...& polishing]
                  sigpic

Comment

Luckily or unfortunately depending on how you look at it they lips are in pretty darn good shape. There are a couple very small imperfections.

Comment

So easy..
                      _________

Rep Savannah Crew

Comment

what are you doing to the centers? Paint? PC? same color just a refresh?
                        ***Affordable Powder Coating Here:***
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...=1#post2074588
                        *** Bay Area/NorCal Fender Rolling Here: ***
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...29#post1989029

***If you've ever bought anything from/dealt with me please add feedback!!:
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=137611***

Thank You!

Comment

Might polish the face and leave the black since they are the black edition.

MIGHT PC the centers silver though.

Comment

good stuff here! (those would look good all black, if you ask me)

Comment

Working...
                            X