OEM Factory Keyless/Security/Alarm System Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM Factory Keyless/Security/Alarm System Install

My old 318is came with the factory (dealer?) optioned security system but no remote. The box is in the factory place inside the plastic cover in the glovebox, and one of the panels next to the emergency flasher button has a little red light and a sensor in it. I bought a remote on eBay, programmed the chip, and then I had a perfect, functioning factory keyless system. When you remove the key from the ignition, there is a little beep and then the red light begins flashing intermittently. I don't know if there are sensors elsewhere on the car, or if there is an actual alarm system involved, but I simply liked having keyless with the factory, period-correct remote.

I was wondering if all 318is or all post-1990 or so E30s are pre-wired for this system, as I'd like to install the entire system in my current 318is.

After searching the car audio & electronics boards, Ive found very little information on this subject, which is surprising because even without the key fob to begin with, it was incredibly easy to make the system functional again. Seems to be a rare option.
    sigpic

bum
    sigpic

Comment

Mine has it. It is the original Code alarm that the factory installed if I am not mistaken. The FOB is a rectangle with a single button right?

I love it, but I think it was an after purchase option? I'll have to put my VIN into the system at work and see what it says.
      "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
      -----------------------------------------
      91 318is Turbo Sold
      87 325 Daily driver Sold
      06 4.8is X5
      06 Mtec X3
      05 4.4i X5 Sold
      92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
      90 325i Sold
      97 328is Sold
      01 323ci Sold
      92 325i Sold
      83 528e Totaled
      98 328i Sold
      93 325i Sold

Comment

Your key fob has 1 button? Put up a photo if you get a chance, I'd be interested to see it. Here's mine:

Click image for larger version

Name:	P2260008.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	7128426

Click image for larger version

Name:	P2260011.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	7128427
        sigpic

Comment

Looks like the same system my e34 has. The components just mount in different places. If you want more info, you might want to search e32/34 specific boards. I'm betting the 5 & 7 series of this vintage were more often equipped with the factory keyless than e30s of this era. I think the small black thing next to the LED is a microphone for the glass breakage sensor.
          -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
          '95 525iT
          '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
          '98 Disco 1

Comment

^That is a microphone for the glass break detection.

My alarm unit looks identical to that but my fob only has one button. Dimensions are identical and look is the same, but only one square button on the top left.
            "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
            -----------------------------------------
            91 318is Turbo Sold
            87 325 Daily driver Sold
            06 4.8is X5
            06 Mtec X3
            05 4.4i X5 Sold
            92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
            90 325i Sold
            97 328is Sold
            01 323ci Sold
            92 325i Sold
            83 528e Totaled
            98 328i Sold
            93 325i Sold

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSpeed66 View Post
              Looks like the same system my e34 has. The components just mount in different places. If you want more info, you might want to search e32/34 specific boards. I'm betting the 5 & 7 series of this vintage were more often equipped with the factory keyless than e30s of this era. I think the small black thing next to the LED is a microphone for the glass breakage sensor.
              It's made by Alpine, as are the (different) E36 systems IIRC. Where does the black box mount in your E34? I'll try digging for some info on the E32/E34 forums, though my main question was if anyone knows if any E30s are pre-wired for this kit. I'm really surprised that more late-model US-spec E30s don't seem to have it.

If anyone who is reading this who hasn't opened up the black plastic cover in the top of the glovebox, check inside there. I found my black box in there when I was chipping my ECU. I bought a remote fob on eBay and a week later I had keyless entry.
              sigpic

Comment

wow subscribed for more info!

Comment

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
                  ^That is a microphone for the glass break detection.

My alarm unit looks identical to that but my fob only has one button. Dimensions are identical and look is the same, but only one square button on the top left.
                  Yours has the LED and microphone also? Do you know what yours sounds like when the alarm goes off? I.E. is it just a horn or is there a separate alarm unit? Does your keyless double lock the doors? Does it make a noise when you unlock or lock?

Sorry to bombard you with questions but you know...it's exciting
                  sigpic

Comment

It looks like the e34s are prewired for the kit from what I've gathered. The alarm brain mounts under the rear seat on the driver's side on my 5'er. On the key fob, pressing the top button once locks the doors (normal) and it should chirp once. Pressing the middle button after this will enable the deadbolt feature and it will chirp twice. Pressing the top button again will unlock everything and the car will chirp three times. Bottom button is the panic button. I believe the alarm system uses its own horn/speaker for the chirps.

Funny the later e30s don't have this more. It's a nice option to have!
                    -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
                    '95 525iT
                    '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
                    '98 Disco 1

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSpeed66 View Post
                      It looks like the e34s are prewired for the kit from what I've gathered. The alarm brain mounts under the rear seat on the driver's side on my 5'er. On the key fob, pressing the top button once locks the doors (normal) and it should chirp once. Pressing the middle button after this will enable the deadbolt feature and it will chirp twice. Pressing the top button again will unlock everything and the car will chirp three times. Bottom button is the panic button. I believe the alarm system uses its own horn/speaker for the chirps.

Funny the later e30s don't have this more. It's a nice option to have!
                      That's badass, I just hope I can get mine to work exactly like that, though it's probably a long-shot. I am not aware of any separate horn/speaker that was on the car, as my system never made any noises upon locking/unlocking. I can't remember whether double-locking worked remotely either. Is there an interior chime noise when you take the key out of the ignition, and does your LED then begin to blink?

Putting 2 and 2 together, I wouldn't be surprised if the single-button remote is the one for E30s, and the 3-button was only for E34/E32/whatever else. Might explain why certain features didn't work on mine.

Thanks for the info!
                      sigpic

Comment

No E30 ever left the factory with an alarm, or wiring for the alarm.

What you few have is a factory part, made by Alpine, but sold at and installed by the dealer.

It was like $900, and was a total pile of crap, easily outperformed by any alarm that was $300 in those days.

Alpine quit making alarms in 1999, except OE, if that tells you anything. They were not in any way well supported by installers, they absolutely sucked.

If you wanna get that pile working, find some fresh transmitters, and good luck.

You might be able to use E32/E34 transmitters, but I do not know if they will learn their code properly, but the 2 systems are incompatible otherwise.

Good luck!

Luke

Closing SOON!
                        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                          No E30 ever left the factory with an alarm, or wiring for the alarm.

What you few have is a factory part, made by Alpine, but sold at and installed by the dealer.

It was like $900, and was a total pile of crap, easily outperformed by any alarm that was $300 in those days.

Alpine quit making alarms in 1999, except OE, if that tells you anything. They were not in any way well supported by installers, they absolutely sucked.

If you wanna get that pile working, find some fresh transmitters, and good luck.

You might be able to use E32/E34 transmitters, but I do not know if they will learn their code properly, but the 2 systems are incompatible otherwise.

Good luck!

Luke
                          Interesting, thanks Luke. What was so bad about the BMW systems? And would bad transmitters explain why my keyless just stopped working one day? I tried reprogramming the black box and remote after that happened with each of the 2 different chips I had but I couldn't get it to work again. Is there a transmitter in both the remote and black box?
                          sigpic

Comment

I don't remember hearing a chime inside the e34 for the alarm. I'm not sure what the light does once the key is out since it's in the rear part of the console facing the back seat.

If you're having problems getting the remote working, one thing I've found with mine is that there is a chip that mounts inside each fob and after being dropped over the years it can become dislodged. Take the back off the fob and put the chip back in the socket and that might get you working again.
                            -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
                            '95 525iT
                            '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
                            '98 Disco 1

Comment

Originally posted by Ziggens96 View Post
                              Interesting, thanks Luke. What was so bad about the BMW systems? And would bad transmitters explain why my keyless just stopped working one day? I tried reprogramming the black box and remote after that happened with each of the 2 different chips I had but I couldn't get it to work again. Is there a transmitter in both the remote and black box?
                              2 transmitters and 1 receiver... and both transmitters die together? Unlikely, right?

However, there is 1 receiver...which seems far more plausible as being the issue.

These brains were problematic then, I am always shocked to hear of one that works. I put one in James Crivellones MTech 1 car a couple years ago, but we need to reinstall. His is from an E34 M5, I had to use relays to change polarity on the door lock outputs.

Expensive and high failure rates, poor sensors, and the techs HATED installing them, and BMW NA required it to be installed at the dealer.

Fortunately, they could sub out the repairs, so I worked on a billion of them.

I did all the stereo/alarm/cell phone work for Rassmussen BMW back in the late 80's/early 90's in Portland, OR. I worked on a bazillion of these cars before their original owner ever even saw their car, and I offered pick up and delivery...so I drove every damn BMW of that era and just before, too.

I just wish I had a clue then what BMWs were all about though...damn near everyone on this forum knows more about BMW drivetrain stuff than I did then.

Yeah, I worked on tons of these systems. I generally got the service manager to relent and let me replace them. I was using VSE Derringer2 alarms, those were awesome.

None of those work now either.

Luke

Closing SOON!
                              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X