iPod + OEM head unit = win?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iPod + OEM head unit = win?

okay, I'll admit, I didnt even search the forum much less Google search this shit. Thats why I've taken the time out of my busy day to create this thread. So you guys can do it for me...

Ok, here is what I want.

I want this :

and this

to work together in my car without installing some fggt aftermarket head unit. Plus, I live in the hood so I want black people to peep in my window and be like "psyche" and move on to the neighbors 95 Jetta with chrome aftermarket rims.

So how do I do this? Im not an electronics noob but if I knew all the answers i wouldnt be here now would I? Plus I figured this would be good for the knowledge base around this bitch ya know?
    I figure I can take some sort of converter box and wire that shit in line maybe, convert the signal to RCA input, and then adapt that to a 3.5mm and plug my phone or iPod in. I know I've seen CD changer plug converters to RCA, but I dont think E30s ever came with changers.

What say yee?

One of those aux input thingys that uses the tape deck.
    sigpic
    -Sean : 91 Calypso 325i : Castro Motorsports SoCal Spec E30 #33

Comment

Originally posted by priapism View Post
      One of those aux input thingys that uses the tape deck.
      That shit is not baller.
      Im talking about hard wiring it in, as if Mr. Bangle himself special ordered that shit back in August of 1991. Id wanna just drop the cable down below the HVAC panel.

Comment

I wanted to do this for the longest time and gave up. I think Kronus did it, but you have to have a tape in the deck to active it this shit(I'm totally ignorant on this subject).

Again, I gave up and bought a sweet deck that matches the rest of the car with aux/usb input.. I'm happy.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
          I wanted to do this for the longest time and gave up. I think Kronus did it, but you have to have a tape in the deck to active it this shit(I'm totally ignorant on this subject).

Again, I gave up and bought a sweet deck that matches the rest of the car with aux/usb input.. I'm happy.
          kewl.
          i mean at this point in technology, you can buy a headunit that only does radio and ipod/aux for like 80 dollars at Best Buy, i just dont wanna ;/
          theres gotta be a way to do it for free, or damn near free.

LUKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEE

Comment

Basically what you need is an inline FM modulator. You would be essentially broadcasting a FM station from your antenna and picking it up from there too. It's the best quality you are going to be able to get without upgrading your deck.

This is the cheapest one I could find. $30 isn't that bad of a price either.
            Scosche FM-MOD02 Universal Audio Input FM Modulator for iPod, Satellite Radio or Portable Music Player

Comment

bimmerdiy.com has a hardwire write-up
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop
              VANOS: sometimes you just need to go full retard.

Comment

I did it, and run it in my car now.
                Search here an there is a thread. I'd post my diy from my local forum, but you have to register to see anything there. I did post it on s14.net also

Search Head unit no bling" on s14
                Last edited by Todd Black 88; 02-25-2011, 06:06 PM.
                Originally posted by codyep3
                I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                2010 F650gs twin
                2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Found your post on s14 Todd. If you are down to solder, that definitely works.

Comment

Awesome. Thanks guys. I think that answers my question!

Comment

I have been running mine for 2-3 yrs and no problems. Nobody wants to steal a 1980s tape deck either.
                      I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                      2010 F650gs twin

Comment

"When doing it this way, find a old crappy tape and take all the tape out and use that in the deck to activate the internal pre amp."

What I was referring to lol.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Yeah, but with no aux button, you need something to initiate the preamp start.
                          On decks with an aux button, you can go through that circuit.
                          2010 F650gs twin

Comment

I just end up using the shitty Kenwood thats in it right now from like 2003. Do people even still steal CD players anyways? I guess poor people are running a few years behind in technology and smarts so I figure maybe they are looking for ipods now?

Anyways, so what if I upgraded to an E36 head unit? With maybe a cd changer? It would still look similiar and stock, but with updated shit and possibility for CD changer.
                            Or use this with my existing shitty old Kenwood cd playter with CD changer input

Is that all I'd need?

Comment

your friend

www.woranges.tumblr.com

Comment

Working...
                              X