Z4 or z3 shifter???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z4 or z3 shifter???

As we know, the z4 3.0 is probably the one with the shortest throw.. But Why is everyone going with the z3 1.9? Which one FEELS the best? I don't need to shave milliseconds off my commute so what I'm looking for is a notchy, sporty feel with a short throw.

I don't want to have to push hard for it to go click, then clock into gear...

Which shifter have you tried and how does it feel?

my man...

levers are VERY subjective.....but

1.9 will give you about stock ht...and about stock effort...w/ a shorter throw...like 20 or 30% I guess.

z4 is shorter lever....higher effort...notchier as well....
    ive driven 2 of these set ups....i didnt like the effort needed.

btw... i track my e30.
    I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

What shifter is blunttech selling on this page? http://www.blunttech.com/?page_id=310

Go down 'till you see it. z4 2.5? it kinda looks like a z3 1.9.
      I want the knob as low as possible so the z4 would be nice

Comment

I'm curious about this as well because I have tried to read through that thread about the short shifters that is like 60 pages long and everyone has a different opinion....I want what you want though e30BMart....something that reduces my throw, thats easy to drive with on a daily basis. this isnt for my track care, I dont need something super notchy. Also I want the height to either stay the same or be shorter.

Comment

Originally posted by E30MACK View Post
          I'm curious about this as well because I have tried to read through that thread about the short shifters that is like 60 pages long and everyone has a different opinion....I want what you want though e30BMart....something that reduces my throw, thats easy to drive with on a daily basis. this isnt for my track care, I dont need something super notchy. Also I want the height to either stay the same or be shorter.
          I'm buying the z4 2.5 in a week or two. I'll be sure to get back to you on how it feels! I think it's going to be perfect ^^

Comment

yeah let me know for sure, thanks.
            also where are you buying it from? and what is it gonna cost you?

Comment

Originally posted by e30BMart View Post
              What shifter is blunttech selling on this page? http://www.blunttech.com/?page_id=310
              Blunt sells a e36m3 lever with his shifter rebuild kit. The lever is the same
              height as stock and some 30% shorter. ZHP knob's are shorter than most
              stock knobs so if you get one your knob will sit a little lower but not by
              much.

I only drove my car for two weeks with this setup e36m3+zhp (also installed
              an AKG dssr at the same time) and I can compare the throw to a new sport
              car (GTI, Mazdaspeed, Civic SI...). Its nice for a dd.

Comment

Originally posted by E30MACK View Post
                yeah let me know for sure, thanks.
                also where are you buying it from? and what is it gonna cost you?
                I'm going to buy it from KO: http://www.koperformance.com/online_...D%3A1%3B&hl=en item #15
                And then I'm getting the ZHP on ebay. I'll get back to you on how it feels in a couple of weeks when I get it, see ya then :p

Comment

blunttech has good prices. I went with the 2.x/3.0 Z3 shifter. Its a tad notchy, but its nice and short. I've got the zhp knob as well.
                  I don't always wreck cars, but when I do I wreck them into trees.

91' 318is S50 swap - The Black Widow

Comment

Originally posted by Charley View Post
                    Blunt sells a e36m3 lever with his shifter rebuild kit. The lever is the same
                    height as stock and some 30% shorter. ZHP knob's are shorter than most
                    stock knobs so if you get one your knob will sit a little lower but not by
                    much.

I only drove my car for two weeks with this setup e36m3+zhp (also installed
                    an AKG dssr at the same time) and I can compare the throw to a new sport
                    car (GTI, Mazdaspeed, Civic SI...). Its nice for a dd.
                    Agreed! I just installed my e36m shifter and it's got to be one f my favorites. My buddy had the z4 shifter and it was way too notchy for a DD, IMO.

WTB NorCal: Z4 shifter + misc. parts

Comment

Originally posted by Albuquerque30 View Post
                      Agreed! I just installed my e36m shifter and it's got to be one f my favorites. My buddy had the z4 shifter and it was way too notchy for a DD, IMO.
                      Which z4? The 3.0 IS too notchy because of its short top and long bottom. The z4 2.5 is short on top and short on the bottom.. we shale see

Comment

z4 2.5 all day every day. pure buttery goodness

Comment

Z3 lever just showed up at my house!!! I will let you know how it works.

Comment

parfekt!

Comment

Yeah, he had the 3.0
                              I'd like to feel the 2.5 if it's a bit better. Good luck with whichever way you go.

WTB NorCal: Z4 shifter + misc. parts

Comment

Working...
                              X