Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Official Coilover/Springs/Shocks Thread

Let's start with spring rates:

Spring---------------------Front(lb/in.)-------------Rear(lb/in.)

Stock 325i-----------------------106------------------------245
    Stock 325is----------------------118------------------------265
    Stock 325ix----------------------106------------------------308
    Stock M3-------------------------114------------------------314
    Stock M3--------------------------140------------------------250
    Dinan Sport-----------------------172------------------------300
    H&R OE Sport---------------------180------------------------380
    H&R Sport-------------------------180------------------------380
    H&R Sport (29664)---------------200------------------------285
    H&R Race-------------------------315------------------------ 570
    H&R Coilovers***----------------340------------------------380
    Eibach Pro-Kit--------------------102-------------------------277
    Eibach Race----------------------160-------------------------445
    IE SIII----------------------------315-------------------------570
    Koni Coilovers-------------------342-------------------------407
    Cosmo Coilovers----------------450-------------------------560
    Tokico----------------------------165-------------------------265
    TMS J-Stock**-------------------680------------------------1026
    Alpina(est.)---------------------~200-----------------------~350
    FK 60/60 cup kit-----------------379--------------------------379
    Vogtland Standard***--------115/197-----------------------360
    Vogtland CS***---------------137/200-----------------------400
    Vogtland--------------------------225--------------------------360

For coilovers, there are plenty of options as far as what spring rate you want. Companies such as GC, and BC, both allow you to choose your own rate. I would give them a call if you want custom rates...it'll depend on what your purpose is (track, DD, etc...)

I have BC coilovers, my rates are 10k/12k. It's my DD. It's stiff ;)

Here are pictures of some setups people have (take note of whether the car is an early or late model because of the differing rear arches. Late models have arches that are about an inch lower so they have less rear wheel gap but more of a perceived reverse rake than early models)

Eibach Pro-kit

Eibach Pro-kit

Eibach Race

IE3 (no pads in the front)

H&R Sport

H&R Sport

Vogtland springs with lower rear spring pads removed

M3 springs

Stage 1 Dinan

KW 60/60

Options for coilovers:

Ground Control "GC" kit
    BC Racing
    Cosmo
    C3 Motorsport
    JOM
    D2
    AST 4100
    TCkline
    NEX
    Vmaxx
    Ksport
    Gaz

Full GC kit with shortened housings

Full GC kit with shortened housings

C3 Motorsport kit

JOM

BC

Seems like there are a lot of questions as far as what needs to be welded when installing BC coilovers...the coilover gets welded onto the knuckle like so

You first have to cut down the original strut housing so that there is only 50mm left of it

D2

Here is a pic of the cosmo coilover installation (spring perch is cut off)

Shocks

Brand/Model----F/R----Fits----------------Made For-----------Part #-----------Notes----Verified?

Bilstein Sport……Front 318is,325,i,is…….Corrado G60……………………..F4- P30-3066………..(*1)........Yes
    Koni Sport....……Front 318is,325,i,is…….85-90 Golf/Jetta.……………..8611-1258-Race…….(*5).......Yes
    Koni Sport………..Rear 318is,325i,is……..94-04 Mustang Exc. IRC…..8041-1186-Sport……(*2).......?
    Koni Sport………..Rear 318is, 325i,is…….94-04 Mustang Exc. IRC…..8042-1134-Sport…….(*3)......?
    Koni Sport………..Rear 318is, 325i,is…….87-93 Mustang, 8 cyl……….8042-1026-Sport…….(*3)......?
    Koni Sport………..Front 318is, 325i,is…….Corrado G60…………………….8641-1198-Sport……..(*1).....Yes
    Koni Sport (GC) Front 318is, 325i,is…….E30…………………………………..?..................... ......(*4).....Yes
    Koni Sport………..Front 318is, 325i,is…….05-08 Subaru Legacy……….8610-1447-Sport……..(*6)....?

1 – Corrado G60 shock casings are shorter, thus these are used for people lowering their spring perches and running spacers under the shock. Shock casing diameter is also 6mm narrower. Custom gland nut for Bilstein Sports – # U232A1

2 – Mustang Koni Sport rear shocks are used because they are top adjustable, unlike the Koni Sport rears made for E30’s

3 – These Mustang Koni Sports are double adjustable (External Rebound and Compression), as opposed to single adjustable like the ones above.

4 – I’ve heard these Koni Sports carry the same part number as the Corrado G60 Koni Sports, however, they are “custom valved” specifically for Ground Control. Anytime I try to get more info on them from Ground Control they avoid the questions… Dimensions? Part numbers? Revalving description? Who knows, but they’re $50 more than the G60 shock.

5 - Double Adjustable (External Rebound and Compression). Shock casings are shorter, thus these are used for people lowering their spring perches and running spacers under the shock.

6 - Koni Sport top adjustable - Made for Subaru Legacy (Liberty) 2.0, 3.0, 3.0R incl. GT Wagon

There are also shocks from Tokico and KYB, but I haven't heard many good things about them

A popular set up is bilstein sports and h&r sports/race

If there's anything I should add let me know.

This is info I've compiled over awhile now, so I don't know exactly who helped me out on this...but thanks to all the photographers and others who wrote up some of the lists with part numbers. Hopefully this will help out some people.
    Last edited by jaywood; 06-06-2011, 12:02 PM.

^ Fucking awesome, youre the man! Im actually running some kyb shock from an older camaro in the rear while my bilsteins were sent out to get rebuilt. I must say that they ride pretty damn good. Definitely firmer on dampening and it took out alot of my rear wheel hop. I got the new shocks for free from a buddy of mine. I guess its pretty popular amongst the ae86 corolla and drifting world. Its a direct bolt on except for itll need a metal sleeve for the lower bushing which I bought and cut from my local Lowes. I have the first set which are 42.00 each but Im planning on trying the kyb agx's for the hell of it. For anyone who wants a set of good cheap rear shocks, you will not be disappointed in either of these.

Regular kybs - 42.00 each
    3593=117389

82-02 rear KYB AGX; part #743019 Camaro: Retails 100 bucks each
    Last edited by e46s54dr; 06-05-2011, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Great work Jeff. The only thing I would add is that the viewer should take note of whether the car is an early or late model because of the differing rear arches. Late models have arches that are about an inch lower so they have less rear wheel gap but more of a perceived reverse rake than early models.

I've heard about the Mustang rear Konis; it is a neat trick to get top adjustability on the E30. IIRC they may also be shorter than E30 shocks, but don't quote me on that.

Comment

Yeah but this has been done a few times now correct.
        H&R Nurburgring coilovers

FK's can't find these to much these days

J-stock

Last edited by M-technik-3; 06-06-2011, 05:52 AM.
        https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Who's car is this? I've never seen someone else with the wheels I have.

Comment

Raxe.

Comment

would it be safe to ask on this thread what people think about their set of JOMS coilovers?

Originally posted by yert315
              Your mother is plug n play

Comment

Originally posted by howdyhoayman View Post
                would it be safe to ask on this thread what people think about their set of JOMS coilovers?
                Be safer to ask the guys who have had them on their car the longest. I'd rather not comment on a product I know squat about.

The H&R's that I own...top notch quality. Then again if you can find a set these days and at under 2K for them is rare.
                https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                  Be safer to ask the guys who have had them on their car the longest. I'd rather not comment on a product I know squat about.

The H&R's that I own...top notch quality. Then again if you can find a set these days and at under 2K for them is rare.
                  Eh, I guess i'll just continue saving up for bc coilovers, something which has gotten nothing but good reviews.

Originally posted by yert315
                  Your mother is plug n play

Comment

Originally posted by howdyhoayman View Post
                    Eh, I guess i'll just continue saving up for bc coilovers, something which has gotten nothing but good reviews.
                    good idea. its a great product. I nearly shit a brick when i spent a grand on "just" coilovers but it is SOOOO totally worth it.
                    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Natur

Comment

Im guessing this would be the correct place to ask this question.
                      Does anyone know the inside diameter of a stock shock?
                      also the length of front and rears
                      Thank you in advance
                      Last edited by use2dub; 06-28-2011, 04:59 AM.

Comment

from searching this forum and others it seems like the ix struts can fit in the shortened housing also, since they are roughly 3-4 inches shorter than stock. i was wondering if anyone had first hand experience with how they performed with stiffer springs up front and also if any other extra parts or mods needed to be done to make them fit. thanks and great thread.

Comment

Originally posted by use2dub View Post
                          Im guessing this would be the correct place to ask this question.
                          Does anyone know the inside diameter of a stock shock?
                          also the length of front and rears
                          Thank you in advance
                          These measurements are based off of Bilstein HD's:

Front:
                          Cartridge Body Length: 432mm
                          Cartridge Body (outside) Diameter: 38.5mm

I left the shocks at work and didn't measure the rear since I'm not doing any special work to it.

Also just a note for those who would like to try to mix and match a few different parts... Since I came from a AE86 background I have decided purchased a set of KYB AGX shocks from a SW20 (Toyota MR2) and the diameter of the body is too large. The SW20 shocks are about 95mm shorter however the shock shaft is the same length. These shocks would of been perfect if the diameter was correct. I was thinking about making my own casing with a larger inside diameter that will accept the KYB's, however it might not be worth the time if the G60 cartridge will work. Just a note for future reference.
                          MILD | Steady Garage

Transaction Feedback
                          Megan Racing Euro Coilovers for E30

Comment

Just thought I would bump this back up :)

Comment

So I just got some H&R race springs. I am looking for some shocks that I can run for a while since I'm not quite ready to spend the money on Billy sports. I think I am going to go with camaro KYB Gr2s for the rear. What is a good option for the fronts?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X