Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine vs. Engine

Hey guys;

I've done a ton of research on an M50 swap I want to do, and I've found two possible engines for sale in the area. My car is a 1987 325i, mostly stock. I've been doing maintenance on it for about a year now, cleaning up 24 years of neglect and daily driving. With whichever engine I get, I MAY do a little rebuilding, however it's always good to have the engine need less work.

Engine 1: M50B25TU already in a 1990 E30.

This engine is in the car. It's about $1000 and includes everything to swap it into a 1990 E30. Obviously that means I'll have to rewire it for my 1987, but the flywheel is machined, the brake booster is there, the oil pan is done. However, the engine had more KMs and had an oil pan incident, losing its oil all over the road.

He said:

"The engine has unknown KM. Previous owner said something like 250k kms, out of an automatic e34. Nothing rebuilt, but the rear main seal was done before going into the car. New valve cover gasket, new oil pan gasket (the oil pan exploaded by a rock, engine was turned off right away) the pan was welded and repaired.

No rebuilt, but has new Tstat, an aluminum thermostat housing instead of the stupid plastic one, all the coolant hoses to work with an e30 rad. its from a 93 525. Raced no, i autocrossed twiced tho.

I used an e30 iX booster with 540i v8 master cylinder and 735i remote brake reservoir.

The harness was an automatic harness that I spliced with the M20 harness, works flawless. I did the swap in spring/summer 2010. since the swap i put perhaps 10000km on the engine.

the engine mounts were new.

this was an inexpensive swap on my end. the engine STILL pulls hard and with the exhaust it is attached to sounds ridiculous!!!! (exhaust from the manifold to the muffler not included)."

THE SECOND ENGINE:
    A M50B25TU, from a 1994 325i. About 100k fewer KMs. (160k rather then 250k) I can get this engine though for $300-$400, with the mount arms.

It's from an automatic as well.
    Last edited by MaxBell; 09-10-2011, 08:58 PM.
    REMEMBER: Be safe and have fun is Rule Number 1.

The Epic Unbuild of Clint Eastwood

no brainer, second engine wins. may end up being a bit more difficult to swap, but newer (lower KM) wins out not to mention it doesnt have potential issues due to oil starvation (one persons "turned it right off" is another persons "drove it 1000 miles home")
    I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

I wonder if I could get all the swap parts from the one, and the engine from the other...Hmmm...

Comment

I agree with getting the second engine.
        because not only does itit have a lower km but being in a automatic mean its mover been
        abuse. And hopefully its been properly maintained.

Now if you buy the second engine you will be paying more then 1000 overall because you'll be buying swap parts and any maintenance parts if need be.

If you can buy parts from the first deal then jump on it.
        -Frank
        1987 325is m50nv (schwarz)
        1990 325is (sterling silber)(sold)
        2001 525i

Comment

Now the big question is becoming the second engine, or a non-Vanos...

Comment

I don't think engine #1 has had it's vanos unit rebuilt yet, which is a big downer in my opinion. I got my engine from a low KM auto e36 convertible and I'm super happy with how solid it is.

Comment

The second engine is the better option as mentioned above. If you are going to get a vanos engine then I'd hold off and look for something newer to get the most out of your money. A lot of people will say go S50/52 as well which is a valid comment but it's up to you. That swap will be a bit harder and more expensive from what I've heard, but the gain is much much greater.

Collecting parts is a bit time consuming which is the only benefit the first engine has. Take your time and read, shop and look around for parts within your budget and liking. I'm not sure what used parts are like up in Ontario but if you want to do a one stop shop contact E30F34R on here and let him know what you need. I bought a ton of parts off of him for my swap at a great price and was beyond happy with what I got. He saved me at least $200 off of what someone in Ontario quoted me even though she shipped from the states to Newfoundland.

It's also good to hear you have been fixing everything else up, I am swapping my engine in now and then I'll work on the other stuff like suspension, wheels, bushings, etc.

Goodluck!
              r3vlimited Lanyard Group Buy!!!

Comment

Thanks man. This project keeps taking steps back. First it's an engine swap, then it's a body resto, now I'm thinking of just getting another shell!!

Comment

Working...
                X