1983 323i. Euro(Aus) Spec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 323i. Euro(Aus) Spec

Been looking for a cool, lightweight RWD 70/80's coupe (Datsun 610, 240Z, TA22/RA23 Celica, *A61 Supra, RX7, AE86, S12 Silvia etc)for a while now and happened to stumble across this E30 323i.

Was advertised for next to nothing, so I bargained it down to a steal.

Interior has ben stripped out for a track car, however, the previous owner couldn't get it running and decided to move it on. Fuel is getting to the rail, however, the injectors don't want to pulse.

The fuel pump was replaced, and L Jet ECU have been swapped to no avail. Any clues on what it may be? I was thinking of replacing the injectors but thought it's pretty unlikely all 6 would die at once.

Only have basic plans for it.

First up is get it running smoothly, service the entire engine and rebuild if necessary.

Second is to put the dash and heater-a/c unit all back together, then to find some decent period correct Recaro's.

Third is going over the chassis, looking for any fucked bushes,balljoints, CV's, Giubo, centre bearing, pads, rotors, master cylinder/reservoir etc, then a nice upgrade to the suspension. As I want to use it on back roads, hills and as my daily driver, I don't want to go too stiff. H&R Race and KYB Camaro shocks in the rear, KYB AGX or similar in the front. Sway bars and strut braces if I deem necessary.

Lastly, as it's of least importance is to make it look tough/thug/gang affiliated/dopesauceOMGWTFBBQ.

Some period correct mesh wheels would be good, around 15x8. A friend also has put aside a complete BBS bodykit, the one without the fender flares that I may possibly be able to pry from his hands. If I can't, an Alpina front spoiler would be the business.

After the previous owner started stripping it down.

Should be able to get a bit of time over the weekend to attempt a diagnosis and hopefully get the girl running and take some better pictures.

Sorry for the premature build thread, half posting in the hope that someone is familiar with my injection problem and knows the quick solution.
    M20B23 Euro 323i - The Legend Of Ron Burgundrot

You may have blown fuses, I'm not sure which ones to check though. Part of the wiring harness may be cut/damaged also.

Comment

Interesting start
      E30 buildy things
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=195286

Comment

Nice alpine shell - should be a good thing

You don't need Camaro shocks in the rear - there are locally produced cars who ran similar set-ups (I think early Commodore shocks work, and maybe AU Falcon - some Aussies on here have detailed what they've run).
        Pork Hunt Motorsport

eBay is like the summit racing catalog for today's special Olympics crowd

Comment

Originally posted by Iain View Post
          Nice alpine shell - should be a good thing

You don't need Camaro shocks in the rear - there are locally produced cars who ran similar set-ups (I think early Commodore shocks work, and maybe AU Falcon - some Aussies on here have detailed what they've run).
          Cool. It should be good once I get the chance to clean her up and put it back together.

I've heard of Corolla kids running early Commodore shocks just wasn't sure if they would suit an E30. I'll have a search on Eurocca.

Comment

Hay Hay some one else from adelaide I was just looking at this car on the net just the other day lol. Anyways what part of town are from im up south around bellevue heights at the moment I move around abit so I am here and there.

Anyways looks like an adventure, if you need some help or something I drop me a pm I am a busy man but if I can help I would be glad to.

Oh and I picked up billie sports and H&R sports at a great price from Bluntech.com if you need anything drop them a email they will look after you.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Massimo View Post
              Hay Hay some one else from adelaide I was just looking at this car on the net just the other day lol. Anyways what part of town are from im up south around bellevue heights at the moment I move around abit so I am here and there.
              I'm actually from the hills, Aldgate/Stirling/Bridgewater area but I'll flip you a PM with my workshop deets.

Comment

Originally posted by OniKyan View Post
                I'm actually from the hills, Aldgate/Stirling/Bridgewater area but I'll flip you a PM with my workshop deets.
                Nice that is not that far 20min maybe most people I know live out north. The E30 will be good through your area lots of good roads hehe.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Massimo View Post
                  Nice that is not that far 20min maybe most people I know live out north. The E30 will be good through your area lots of good roads hehe.
                  That's exactly right. I've already got an E30 but it's a stock four door. Keen to get in one with some nice suspension and steering parts and really go for a good Summit to Lobey thrash.

Comment

Looks like a good start. Enjoy it! Welcome to the obsession. :twisted:
                    1989 325i|1992 325i|And completely obsessed|:woowoo:
                    sigpic BMW. The Ultimate Driving Machine.
                    The Build...

Comment

So after having a good look in the engine bay, I discovered some separation between the inner guard and the strut towers.

Not sure how bad this problem is and if it would have much of an effect on wheel alignment but I've decided to shelve the project for the time being. It looks like it's going to be a lot more time and effort than originally anticipated.

I'd also just spotted another 323i on gumtree.com.au, in better condition and it was cheaper than I would have spent getting the white car running and driving smoothly.

Some pics.

H&R Race, Bilstein Sport and small interior fixes (like a shift boot) are the initial plans.

I've also got this set of weird (no brand or size markings)BMW style mesh wheels I picked up real cheap. I think they're 15x7 with an offset of around ET28 - ET32.

Last edited by OniKyan; 11-20-2011, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OniKyan View Post
                        Been looking for a cool, lightweight RWD 70/80's coupe (Datsun 610, 240Z, TA22/RA23 Celica, *A61 Supra, RX7, AE86, S12 Silvia etc)for a while now and happened to stumble across this E30 323i.....
                        Well , the earliest (<1984) 2d shells ARE some 6 kg lighter than later models ;)

Comment

Photoshop.

Comment

One day I'll fix the strut towers, until then the new car will have to do.

Thread moved here. - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=229193
                            Last edited by OniKyan; 11-26-2011, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X