Crossbrace rubs front sways..still

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crossbrace rubs front sways..still

I have a 87 325is with the suspension techniques 22mm front sway and the raceskids crossbrace..
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0157.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	7223347
    I noticed one day lowering the car that my sway bar hits the crossbrace when the car is lowered back down. It also explains the metal to metal sound i sometimes get.

Name:	IMAG0160.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	7223350

Heres how it is installed now..

Name:	IMAG0159.jpg
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	7223348
    I tried putting some washers up where the steering rack bolts go in. But that made the bolt only reach half way through the nut up top of the rack. I dont really feel confident about that so imma try putting washers at the lolipop's. OH, and it still rubs with the washers anyway...

Name:	IMAG0158.jpg
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	7223349
    Has anyone else had this problem!?
    I dont even understand why im rubbing..this one guy on the for sale thread has a 25mm front sway, cross brace and no rubbing
    m20 is plenty. im simply a drifter.
    build thread -- http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=206510

Are the sway bar end links adjusted such that the ends of the sway bar are close to horizontal when the car is sitting on the ground? Changing the length of the end links will move the middle of the sway bar.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

So the pic above was a waste.lol i did that first thing in the am and wasnt thinking straight. I didnt adjust it at all where those washers are placed.

Yesterday afternoon I tried again and it still rubs...

Name:	cross-brace steering rack washer.jpg
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	7135696

Name:	cross-brace lollipop washer.jpg
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	7135697

Name:	Cross-brsce touching sway bar.jpg
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	7135698
      Is there a possibility that I got a defective cross-brace. cause if ppl with 25mm front sways arent touching, mine is only a 22mm and its taking metal off the sway its rubbing so hard

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
        Are the sway bar end links adjusted such that the ends of the sway bar are close to horizontal when the car is sitting on the ground? Changing the length of the end links will move the middle of the sway bar.
        theyre stock endlinks. they sent me a set i had to make for the rear..but it is horizontal when the car is sitting..ill take a pic of the front sway also..maybe its installed wrong??

Comment

The sway bar can only be installed one way. But your end links may be too long, which will move the bottom of the bar forward.

Comment

If you are lowered considerably you should get adjustable endlinks.
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Got it..i have hr sports so i think the sway bar may be too far up with stock links..do most of u guys get adjustable links once u have a upgraded sway.im just gonna take the brace off for now till i get links

Thanks..if anyone with a cross brace could post a pic of where their sway sits i could see where I should be

Comment

This problem relates not only to the bar thickness but also where any bends on the bar are located. Same problem results with the IE 22/19 setup (at least with the adjustable links they provide with their kit even when adjusted to their shortest).
                Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Bearmw View Post
                  This problem relates not only to the bar thickness but also where any bends on the bar are located. Same problem results with the IE 22/19 setup (at least with the adjustable links they provide with their kit even when adjusted to their shortest).
                  I think you may have hit the nail on the head bearmw..sick name btw. So u have a raceskids cross brace and the IE22mm set up? did u just get a different sway bar?

After checking again today..i came to the conclusion that there is nothing else i can change to really change anything. the washers didnt work so i just removed the cross brace now.

I think someone stated that i should double check to see if my sway bar is seated horizontal when on the ground, and its actually a little pointed up!...which would bring the bottom closer to the cross brace..if it laid more horizontal it wouldnt be pushing up so far.

***Please take a look at my pics below and tell me if you notice anything funny about the way my front sway is set up.

Otherwise i think bearmw is right. Maybe some sway bar designs just arent gonna fit with the race skids cross brace

Name:	IMAG0165.jpg
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	7135708

Name:	IMAG0166.jpg
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	7135709

Name:	IMAG0167.jpg
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	7135710

Comment

The sway bar can only be installed one way. But your end links may be too long, which will move the bottom of the bar forward.
                    based on my pics, are there any sway links that will bring the bar more horizontal while the car is on the ground..it seems like for that to even work, they would need to be about 1/2 an inch tall. I dont think this sway bar will work.lol

ST 22mm sway bar for trade/sale?lol

Comment

The last picture explains the problem. You need shorter links. But I don't know of any production links (fixed or adjustible) that are shorter than the OE links. Anything shorter would be something built up from Heim joints.

Comment

I'm going with factory vert front sway and 14.5mm factory rear bar after discovering this problem and talking to CorvalisBMW who had the same issue. In the future I may try an alternative solution but I will see how I like the handling with the factory bars first.
                        Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

The last picture explains the problem. You need shorter links. But I don't know of any production links (fixed or adjustible) that are shorter than the OE links. Anything shorter would be something built up from Heim joints.
                          not sure exactly what heim joints are but it sounds like they dont make sway bar links out of em.lol

I took the cross brace off for now and will try and find one that works..im not sure about IE's 25mm front sway cause one guy says the 25mm fits but bearmw says the 22mm doesnt work. I went to their site and they both look similar so im gonna give em a call. they prolly dont even know if their product works with another suspension mod, and if i was IE i would say yes in a second.haha

Originally posted by Bearmw View Post
                          I'm going with factory vert front sway and 14.5mm factory rear bar after discovering this problem and talking to CorvalisBMW who had the same issue. In the future I may try an alternative solution but I will see how I like the handling with the factory bars first.
                          So I think imma do what bearmw's doing but keep my suspension techniques 19mm rear sway and go with a vert front sway.
                          How thick is the factory vert sway btw? according to realoem my stock 325is is 20mm. Im thinking about getting some refreshed hardware for that, mounting it, putting my brace back on, and getting a front strut brace to make up for the flex.

I mean is there really much more flex to make up for with a 2mm front sway difference.( stock vs ST) If I dont put the stock swaybar back on, i will find a vert sway. I think my cross brace and strut brace (still have to buy) will be good with a vert sway.

Plus after talking to a few drift guys at a local meet they were telling me not to make the front tooooo stiff. Granted they have AE86's and 240's, they were saying they run a strut bar and stock sways.lol And they were saying making the front 2 stiff isnt good for drift. I didnt fully understand why but they have more track time then me so I hear what they say but still do my research.lol

Comment

The local drifters were probably saying don't stiffen the front up too much because a really stiff sway bar will make the car push and not want to rotate as much. A bigger rear sway bar and a light front bar will make the rear come around real fast
                            Dare 2 Dream Motorsports
                            sigpic

Comment

Similar problem here http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=218630
                              Not resolved yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X