R3VLimited Forums  

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > E30 Technical Forums > 24V Engine Swaps > M50/52 & S50/52

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2011, 05:32 AM   #1
328ijunkie
Forum Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Posts: 3,292
The Official OBD1 vs OBD2 argument thread.

Alright im tired of explaining to every single guy that calls me about wiring this exact thing so here goes:

Common Arguments:
-Running your M52/S52 OBD1 does NOT make more power.
-Its not really easier
-If youre having someone like me do the wiring its no different to you
-You can still run a M50 manifold with OBD2
-You DONT have to mess with EWS at all, it is easily flashed out of an ECU
-Custom Tunes are just as available for OBD2 as they are for OBD1
-Secondary air pump and Evap stuff can also be flashed out of the ECU.

Gains with OBD2:
-Ability to reuse the sensors/harness/ecu that you most likely got with your engine
-Smarter/Better ECU that allows you to troubleshoot small issues alot better than an OBD1 ECU would
-Ability to pull live data just like you could off any other OBD2 car, data like codes, current engine temp, vehicle speed signal, short and long term O2 adaptations, etc.
-Generally better/cleaner running engine because of the smarter ECU=more power



So all you M52/S52 people, why are you so stuck on OBD1? If i could run M50/S50s on OBD2 i would. My pile of crap shop car is running an OBD2 M52 without issues and the issues it had to start with (bad cam sensor and bad coil) the ECU yelled at me for and i was able to easily just throw some new parts on it and call it a day vs OBD1 that doesnt spit out CELs for really anything and you end up having to throw all sorts of parts at it before you solve the problem.


That is all
__________________

Check Us out on Facebook
Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
Full Product Line
OBD1, OBD2 24v as well as S54 Swap Tuning and harness modifications now available!
328ijunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:01 AM   #2
Sputnik
Mod Crazy
 
Sputnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 717
Wow, alot of good points here!
what are the disadvantages of running a obd2 setup?
Sputnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:10 AM   #3
328ijunkie
Forum Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Posts: 3,292
The only real thing i can think about is the extra O2 sensors and the minor annoyance of having to get the ECU flashed.
__________________

Check Us out on Facebook
Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
Full Product Line
OBD1, OBD2 24v as well as S54 Swap Tuning and harness modifications now available!
328ijunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
10Toes
Me Father Was A Tree
 
10Toes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 61,209
Images: 543
Where do you get all these OBD II tunes?
__________________
10Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
scottinAZ
E30 Fanatic
 
scottinAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Tan Valley, Arizona
Posts: 1,312
Images: 4
biggest downfall to OBDII is the added cost of the system, in that you need to flash the ECU and also the additional sensors, if they did not come with the engine. R3v, being a bunch of cheap bastards that would try to negotiate a discount on a free engine, doesnt see the value added in the better system over 1980's technology.
__________________
I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...



scottinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
luckysnafu
Wrencher
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Worcester, MA
Posts: 213
I'm in the OBD2 camp. Swapped an OBD2 M52 with S52 cams in my e30. I went OBD2 since I bought an engine that came with the rest of the parts car it was in so I had all the sensors/EWS components/etc.

If you can get a car/engine with the EWS components I don't know why you wouldn't keep OBD2. It's very simple to hook up the EWS system with all the components.

I'm surprised how many go OBD1 considering the extra parts/sensors you need to buy.

I get my ECU flashed at TRM and they are great to work with.
luckysnafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
SwiftE30
E30 Modder
 
SwiftE30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 995
Send a message via Skype™ to SwiftE30
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckysnafu View Post
I'm in the OBD2 camp. Swapped an OBD2 M52 with S52 cams in my e30. I went OBD2 since I bought an engine that came with the rest of the parts car it was in so I had all the sensors/EWS components/etc.

If you can get a car/engine with the EWS components I don't know why you wouldn't keep OBD2. It's very simple to hook up the EWS system with all the components.

I'm surprised how many go OBD1 considering the extra parts/sensors you need to buy.

I get my ECU flashed at TRM and they are great to work with.
I thought if you had all the parts (ECU, ignition, and harness from the same car you didnt have to flash your ECU? How do you like those s52 cams?

I had the same thing you did, sourced a full m3 for everything and planned on staying obd2, but then i had my ECU and MAF stolen right out of my driveway, so that screwed that plan. Glad i went obd1 though, FI is a lot easier to tune with obd1.
__________________
1989 E30 Zinnoberrot Vert 325i OBD1 S52 turbo;IP
SwiftE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #8
Leo_328i
Wrencher
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 226
I'm doing an M52 2.5l swap early next year and already have all the OBD2 sensors ready to go.

Problem in Australia is that flashing the EWS out seems to be an unknown act... eventually I will find someone that can do it though!

If no one in Australia, and no one in the USA is happy to have a go on a Euro spec ECU, then I may have to just give up and go OBD1....

Who does these EWS delete flashes for OBD2?
__________________
Leo.

E30 318iS, E36 328i
Leo_328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
328ijunkie
Forum Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Posts: 3,292
I can
__________________

Check Us out on Facebook
Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
Full Product Line
OBD1, OBD2 24v as well as S54 Swap Tuning and harness modifications now available!
328ijunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #10
mammoth_e30
Mod Crazy
 
mammoth_e30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 796
lol well look what I started. Sorry I didn't get a chance to call you today Dave, i am the Brett you have been trading emails with. The s52 arrived today though! I am all about not purchasing OBDI parts and modifyting the engine etc if you can wire this puppy up right. I do need to get my hands on a OBDII wire harness as all i got was the engine and a few bolted on sensors with my purchase, most everything was cut off when they pulled it.

May as well ask a few newb questions here.

Do I need an OBDII M3 DME (12141406594) or will a custom tune overwrite any OBDII DME?
Since I am in CA do you think I will run into any issues with smog?
Do I need to keep the Air pump vacuum control and emission control air pump?
Will my factory keyless entry still work?

that's all I can think of at the moment. Thanks!
__________________
mammoth_e30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #11
Leo_328i
Wrencher
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328ijunkie View Post
I can

PM Sent.
__________________
Leo.

E30 318iS, E36 328i
Leo_328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #12
328ijunkie
Forum Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Posts: 3,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammoth_e30 View Post
lol well look what I started. Sorry I didn't get a chance to call you today Dave, i am the Brett you have been trading emails with. The s52 arrived today though! I am all about not purchasing OBDI parts and modifyting the engine etc if you can wire this puppy up right. I do need to get my hands on a OBDII wire harness as all i got was the engine and a few bolted on sensors with my purchase, most everything was cut off when they pulled it.

May as well ask a few newb questions here.

Do I need an OBDII M3 DME (12141406594) or will a custom tune overwrite any OBDII DME?
Since I am in CA do you think I will run into any issues with smog?
Do I need to keep the Air pump vacuum control and emission control air pump?
Will my factory keyless entry still work?

that's all I can think of at the moment. Thanks!
Your Keyless entry should work just the same. If you plan on running an S52 then yes ide get an S52 ECU (i have extra ones in stock at the moment btw)

As far as smog goes, im unsure as to how it works over there but all said and done everything will run cleaner out the tailpipe than an M20 would assuming everything is running good and you can also pass an OBD2 plug in test if you needed to. SAP can be flashed out of the ECU



Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftE30 View Post
I thought if you had all the parts (ECU, ignition, and harness from the same car you didnt have to flash your ECU? How do you like those s52 cams?

I had the same thing you did, sourced a full m3 for everything and planned on staying obd2, but then i had my ECU and MAF stolen right out of my driveway, so that screwed that plan. Glad i went obd1 though, FI is a lot easier to tune with obd1.
FI is just as easy to tune with OBD2 if not easier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwvb bmw View Post
Where do you get all these OBD II tunes?
I have the ability to flash OBD2 ECUs with Technica Motorsports Tunes at my shop here in lawrenceville.
__________________

Check Us out on Facebook
Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
Full Product Line
OBD1, OBD2 24v as well as S54 Swap Tuning and harness modifications now available!
328ijunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:10 PM   #13
325e10
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 161
My OBD2 swap is running fine, and made more sense cause I had most of the sensors already. ECU flash was a breeze thanks to Dave and Technica. You don't have to keep the Vac pump or related controls. Just gets flashed out with the ecu.
325e10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #14
328ijunkie
Forum Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Posts: 3,292
Thx thomas
__________________

Check Us out on Facebook
Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
Full Product Line
OBD1, OBD2 24v as well as S54 Swap Tuning and harness modifications now available!
328ijunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:37 AM   #15
RobertK
Kicked cancer's ASS.
 
RobertK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 5,691
Can you flash out the post cat O2 sensors or just use a simulator instead?
RobertK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2013 R3VLimited LLC