Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Door Panel and Rear Deck repair (Pic heavy, beware!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door Panel and Rear Deck repair (Pic heavy, beware!)

Here is a post I made on BF.c, but since we now have a 5er forum, I thought you guys might want to see it here.

Since this is an E34, I though I might post a pic or three of a car I did a while ago.

Typical E34 door panel failure, only worse than most I have seen:

Split the vinyl, used a heat gun and contact cement (on a small paint brush) to reglue the stock vinyl back in place. I should have gotten a shot of it, but my hands were all sticky!

I do not know if someone tried re-gluing this panel or not, but I had to use heat, rubbing and goof-off to get the residue off this panel!

Next, I cut some panels out of masonite. I used a 1/8" material, but it was kind of a pain in the butt to work something so thin. Of course, I made a cardboard template first, then a "master" to make the panels from.

I drilled holes where I wanted the studs that will mount this panel to fit:

Countersunk, glued, backnutted and then filled with spot putty, then sanded (120 grit on a D/A) in preparation for upholstery:

Next was upholstering the panel. I have no pics as that is the easy part, really. Just normal "double stretch" vinyl and Dap brand Landau top adhesive in a $10 spray gun.

After the panel was upholstered, I mounted it using the previously drilled holes, washers and nuts (just hardware store crap: bevel head machine screws):

Then (DUH, right?) I cut off the excess studs. These trim panels will never be removed, ever.

So, flipped over, all the glue residue cleaned up:

Just in case you care, here is the rear deck before and after I reupholstered that, too:

I did the headliner, the A, B and C pillars and the rear deck all in a nice headliner material. I pulled the foam backing off of the material to do the rear deck and the pillars (plus like the panel that covers the sunroof motor) but mostly I wanted you guys to see my idea of how to permanently fix the E34 door panel.

I am gonna do my car in all black with brushed aluminum trim. I think Di-NOC will do nicely. Hell, it is a 20 year old car, right?

Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

This is awesome, I'll be doing this very soon.
    Originally posted by LJ851
    I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

looks good man.

stupid question, but how is your arm? i saw how badly it was burnt and was just wondering how it was healing
      -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
      -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
      MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
      Got Drop?? ;-)
      Originally posted by JinormusJ
      But of course
      E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

Originally posted by CHIF8008 View Post
        looks good man.

stupid question, but how is your arm? i saw how badly it was burnt and was just wondering how it was healing
        You has me confused with DerAffe. I do my best to stay far away from explosive shit.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

woops, my bad
          -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
          -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
          MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
          Got Drop?? ;-)
          Originally posted by JinormusJ
          But of course
          E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

Great work!

Comment

^ that is some fine looking work. Rear parcel shelf looks like you just took the BMW bag wrapper off it.

Comment

Originally posted by GDA View Post
                ^ that is some fine looking work. Rear parcel shelf looks like you just took the BMW bag wrapper off it.
                Thanks! That material is a bitch to work with too, as you need a fairly heavy bodied adhesive, but it has to be clear or you will have bleedthrough.

I wish I could find the pics. The car belongs to a guy up here who co-runs WestWerks. He bought it from a guy in Florida, the exterior was beautiful but the inside was just trashed. I did the whole roof, the piillars all of it in that same material...so very very sexy even though I hate the colors.

I just can't find my damn pics.

Thanks again!
                Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Cool review, I'll have something to go off of when I tackle this issue-
                  I've never done interior work like this before

Comment

Where to get the material?

Luke, as always, your work is freaking awesome! Quick question, where did you guys get the material? I have to redo my interior, it has the same color as the one you redid, but want to switch it out with the Anthracite Black color, but want a quality product that will be as close to original as possible. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by sleeps41 View Post
                      Luke, as always, your work is freaking awesome! Quick question, where did you guys get the material? I have to redo my interior, it has the same color as the one you redid, but want to switch it out with the Anthracite Black color, but want a quality product that will be as close to original as possible. Thanks.
                      What you wanna do is grab your local Yellow Pages, look under "upholstery Supplies".

If you are going to use Vinyl, get a good "3 way stretch" product.

No matter what you choose, you will want to make sure it is a UV protected material or it will take a shit in just a couple years at best.

There are plenty of fake suedes too, BTW, not just that shitty overpriced italian crap. Real suede is pointless, don't bother.

If I can help, let me know.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Working...
                      X