Cheap e30 roof rack find!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap e30 roof rack find!

So I was searching the interwebs for a cheap roof rack since the other one that someone found on here had been discontinued. I came across this $45 rack on ebay and went for it. Although I've never had a name brand rack to compare it to, the roof rack is surprisingly nice quality for the price. I took some pictures too.:D

Here is the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...ht_1736wt_1189

It came apart and was easily asembled in around 10 mins

Looks good, no locks though right?

Comment

Originally posted by ZekeTheSneak View Post
      No, thats the only drawback :neutral:

Comment

Originally posted by ZekeTheSneak View Post
        You can clearly see there is none in the pictures.

@OP I just bought a Yakima e30 rack from a member on here. Cost about triple but we will see how it works out for my plans. This is still an AMAZING deal for our cars, and it clearly fits like a glove.

How does it feel side to side and does it flex if you put any weight on it? Whole point is for putting shit on it. Give a review!
        ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
        ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
        ~ '87 535
        ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
        ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Originally posted by F34R View Post
          How does it feel side to side and does it flex if you put any weight on it? Whole point is for putting shit on it. Give a review!
          The sticker on it said it's rated up to 50kg. I might get a basket for it or some bike mounts so I'll update once I get some real weight on it.

Comment

Originally posted by CW325 View Post
            The sticker on it said it's rated up to 50kg. I might get a basket for it or some bike mounts so I'll update once I get some real weight on it.
            Good looks =)

This is an amazing design for people that want to make wooden racks. Not to mention in the price range for fucking cheap ass e30 owners.

Current cars:
            ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
            ~ '87 535
            ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
            ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Any uses for a rack other than the obvious snowboard, ski, bike, suitcase? I have thought about buying a Thule just to have one.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaz View Post
                Any uses for a rack other than the obvious snowboard, ski, bike, suitcase? I have thought about buying a Thule just to have one.
                If you put wooden planks from the front to the back you can haul tons of things. I am planning to move to FL in the fall so mine will be packed up =)

That is the whole point of them, that is my reason for asking OP how sturdy his feels. Only thing I would do for the OP's rack. Is remove the feet clamp tighteners and use a bolt and nut to make sure it does not loosen up from driving. The feet design looks to me like stamped steel. Guessing steel because it is cheaper than aluminum.

Current cars:
                ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                ~ '87 535
                ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Originally posted by F34R View Post
                  If you put wooden planks from the front to the back you can haul tons of things. I am planning to move to FL in the fall so mine will be packed up =)

That is the whole point of them, that is my reason for asking OP how sturdy his feels. Only thing I would do for the OP's rack. Is remove the feet clamp tighteners and use a bolt and nut to make sure it does not loosen up from driving.
                  I was thinking about the wood plank idea :D I'll definitely consider the nut/bolt setup too.

Comment

Can you unthread the fasteners all the way out? You could probably find some tamper proof hardware for it.

Comment

Originally posted by CW325 View Post
                      I was thinking about the wood plank idea :D I'll definitely consider the nut/bolt setup too.
                      Replace the metal cross beams with wood too, I am sure the aluminum would collapse from that many holes drilled in it. Or get steel square tubing if you wanna stick with metal braces. I am personally going to build my rack from Teak(strongest wood known to man). Also Teak is water proof by itself alone from the resin in it(contains oils in the wood).

Give you an idea of the grain and amazing color, going with a linseed oil finish.
                      Last edited by F34R; 03-10-2012, 12:35 PM.

Current cars:
                      ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                      ~ '87 535
                      ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                      ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Sweet find, going to get one for my car!
                        r3vlimited Lanyard Group Buy!!!

Comment

I got my thule rack for 50 bucks with a fairing, bike rack, and snowboard rack. Winning?

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                          Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Thanks for showing this. I have been thinking about getting one for my auto.
                            '02 Outback wagon
                            '87 325is 5sp
                            '93 Kawasaki ZR1100

Comment

I've been considering getting one. I'm also planning on getting a trailer hitch down the road. Because its a race car of course.

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

Working...
                              X