Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the Most Durable Guibo for Track Use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the Most Durable Guibo for Track Use?

I was getting a horrible whine on the way home from my last track day. I kept thinking to myself I'm going to have to look into a rebuilt trans. I'm pretty glad to have found this toasted guibo that looks like it was allowing some metal to metal rubbing.

This thing is barely a year and a half old. What are you guys using with more success? I don't think I want to use anything completely solid, but theres got to be a more durable option than oem.

S50'd

Originally posted by TDE30
    What is this faggy shit I have happened upon?
    Originally posted by slammin.e28
    I can always live in a M3. Can't M3 a house.

Your driveshaft u-joints are likely worn out.

If it wore out that quickly, it's from a wobbling driveshaft. A new CSB will "fix" it for like a month. You need a new driveshaft.
    Last edited by KenC; 05-20-2012, 11:21 AM.
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Dunno.
      My knowledge was that unless you have solid/poly all the way around the car it is okay to use poly for the guibo since it needs some sort of flex.
      Don't Corvette's or something share the same guibo as us?

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by KenC View Post
        Your driveshaft u-joints are likely worn out.
        My driveshaft was rebuilt a couple of years back. I sure hope they're not worn out.

The revshift guibo looks pretty sturdy, anyone have experience with that one?
        S50'd

Comment

Originally posted by Lof8 View Post
          My driveshaft was rebuilt a couple of years back. I sure hope they're not worn out.

The revshift guibo looks pretty sturdy, anyone have experience with that one?
          There's no reason for an 18mo old giubo to wear out that fast. Either your output prop of the tranny is wobbling or your driveshaft is.

Comment

I will certainly check the rest of the driveline for slop and wear.
            S50'd

Comment

I agree, with a stock engine premature failure of a guibo will be from a bad drive shaft or a bad transmission.
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

or improper driveshaft alignment. Is this a swap car? And if so what motor and what mounts are you using. Deflection kills guibos. As stated.. A good quality OE Febi/Bilstein guibo is all you need
                We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
                www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

This is an S50 powered track car. I do HPDE's and autocrosses, so all of its miles are pretty tough. The swap was performed 3 years ago and that may actually be the age of the guibo. Next time I'm under the car, I will check for u-joint slop, csb slop, and do my best to test for output shaft slop.

I'm using a g260 with modified trans bracket and green mounts. I do have to shim one of the mounts with a couple of washers for it to carry some load, otherwise there is a gap.

I hope that the rebuilt driveshaft is not already sloppy or maybe out of balance?
                  S50'd

Comment

Originally posted by blunttech View Post
                    or improper driveshaft alignment. Is this a swap car? And if so what motor and what mounts are you using. Deflection kills guibos. As stated.. A good quality OE Febi/Bilstein guibo is all you need
                    Ditto this. Didn't know it was a swap.

Comment

Since I'm getting some solid feedback here, let me throw in some more variables. My trans doesn't leak at all while sitting, but after a day at the track, I have some trans fluid sprayed on the rear of the car that seems to be coming from the trans input shaft.

I recently replaced the trans mounts with urethane and the vibration was horrible. I went back to oem mounts and it went away (95%). It seems I do have a driveline vibration that is hidden with rubber mounts. I was hoping this worn guibo would be my culprit.

I'm trying to exhaust all avenues before swapping out the trans.

Thanks for all the ideas.
                      S50'd

Comment

Didn't read the whole thread, but this looks more durable. https://www.revshift.com/shop/24v-sw...-flex-disc.php

Comment

PS wobbly driveshafts may exist, but to really see if it's going bad you need to see if the unjoints are binding (too tight and causing the shaft to put excess pressure on the CSB and guibo)

I knew mine was bad when it was out of the car and I could move it one direction smoothly but the other it caught.

If this is redundant information just ignore me.
                          Originally posted by z31maniac
                          I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

just want to say

I run an s50..and almost solid akg motor mounts and uuc red trans mounts...

I have almost no vibrations to speak of......

so perhaps something is off in your set up/drivetrain
                            I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Originally posted by blunttech View Post
                              Exactly what I was going to say as well as I read the first posts. Alignment issue can and will eat your guibo. My guibo in the m30 car is like new, after going through hell all of last season on race tires.

I went through 3 m10 guibos before the swap and it was caused by the bad driveshaft and alignment.
                              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Working...
                              X