Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

heads up to all you m50nv's about crank position sensors.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heads up to all you m50nv's about crank position sensors.

If you lookup a crank sensor for a '92 325i at advance auto parts or autozone, they'll give you the sensor on the right, which is a Hall crank sensor for a vanos engine. The one on the left is the more expensive VR sensor from a late-model m20-engined car, which neither store will usually stock, but can order - but if you need one in a hurry, you shouldn't have any problem grabbing one at the yard.|

91 318i | 87 535iS

I should have stated also that the reason I bring this up is that the sensor on teh right (hall sensor for vanos engine) will obviously not work in a m50nv with a 402. It'll run with a 413 ecu, but it'll be rough.

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

You need to be more specific when you say VANOS engine brah. The m50TU and s50US are OBDI and VANOS, both use a VR type crank sensor. S52 and m52 and all subsequent BMW engines use hall effect sensors on the crank.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

So are you saying the one on the left (m20) is the one to use. Im all squared away, just wondering.

I guess it would be wise to take the part and/or part# with you anyway.

COTM

Comment

Mine is plastic and my car runs......
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop
          VANOS: sometimes you just need to go full retard.

Comment

Originally posted by trackjunkie21 View Post
            Mine is plastic and my car runs......
            wierd. what ecu and where did you get the sensor/what model car did you give em
            Last edited by ScHpAnKy; 06-26-2012, 03:42 AM.

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

I just ordered it from Pelican, I'm running a 403DME on my NVM50
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop
              VANOS: sometimes you just need to go full retard.

Comment

Originally posted by trackjunkie21 View Post
                I just ordered it from Pelican, I'm running a 403DME on my NVM50
                you're fine then, you're already using a VR sensor. this was for people ordering from autozone/advance/napa or any local place.

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

Working...
                X