Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NJ Inspection Question = ABS fault = failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NJ Inspection Question = ABS fault = failure?

Do they fail older cars w/ the ABS light on? The car is from NY and just passed inspection but was wondering if NJ will pass it. Are they more lenient w/ older cars?
    BMWfanaticVR6addict
    8 e30s - 1 e36 m3 - 3 corrado vr6s - 1 mk2 vr6 - 1 735il - 1 525i - 1 miata
    (the following have been sold, crashed, stolen or parted)

Should be fine, NJ only does emissions testing now. This year I passed with a cracked windshield and tinted windows.

'91 318is - OBD-II S52 swapped - E30 M3 5-lug - 5x120 BBS RC090 (E39 Style 5) - TCK D/A coilovers 550/700 [SOLD]
    '87 535i - Vacuum brake conversion [SOLD]
    '93 525iT - 5-speed swap - 320k and counting
    '09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

Surprised jersey loosened up a bit.
      Any different on the historical plate inspection? I'm looking forward to $150/yr insurance
      BMWfanaticVR6addict

Comment

QQ plates or the historic tag/sticker? The historic sticker is a triangular shaped sticker that goes above (in place of? It's been a while) your inspection sticker and you retain normal plates.

However, with both, there are milage restrictions and the car cannot be your daily, IIRC. I wanted to get the historic sticker for my GN when I had it as the only requirement for inspection for it is that the odometer is functional; no emissions (and no safety back then). It's been a while since I've read up on the info and it may have changed. I've also never actually seen the historic sticker in person, but it was very common among some of the NJ GN guys.

EDIT: What I'm referring to is actually "collector vehicles." http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Inspectio...t.htm#Historic

'91 318is - OBD-II S52 swapped - E30 M3 5-lug - 5x120 BBS RC090 (E39 Style 5) - TCK D/A coilovers 550/700 [SOLD]
        '87 535i - Vacuum brake conversion [SOLD]
        '93 525iT - 5-speed swap - 320k and counting
        '09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Gooch View Post
          QQ plates or the historic tag/sticker? The historic sticker is a triangular shaped sticker that goes above (in place of? It's been a while) your inspection sticker and you retain normal plates.

However, with both, there are milage restrictions and the car cannot be your daily, IIRC. I wanted to get the historic sticker for my GN when I had it as the only requirement for inspection for it is that the odometer is functional; no emissions (and no safety back then). It's been a while since I've read up on the info and it may have changed. I've also never actually seen the historic sticker in person, but it was very common among some of the NJ GN guys.

EDIT: What I'm referring to is actually "collector vehicles." http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Inspectio...t.htm#Historic
          I was going for the tag. The mileage restriction and need for a working odometer might be an issue. Ill drive 3k in a month just cruising lol.

Are there also restrictions from the insurance company or just the state?? Ill check w/ Hagerty and see.
          BMWfanaticVR6addict

Comment

Originally posted by Track89 View Post
            Surprised jersey loosened up a bit.
            Any different on the historical plate inspection? I'm looking forward to $150/yr insurance
            I have historic QQ's on one of mine. There is no inspection, you just bring two pictures of the car to DMV. One from the front and another from the side. Pay registration for 3 years between renewals. Noone will physically check your milage except possibly your insurance company depending on your coverage.

That said I would not feel comfortable with these plates on a daily driven E30 in NJ metro area... ymmv
            Last edited by Vin-barrett; 07-20-2012, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Are there also restrictions from the insurance company or just the state?? Ill check w/ Hagerty and see.
              to get classic insurance there are restrictions in that you must have another car registered to yourself with normal insurance coverage and that vehicle can only be a few years old.
              Additionally, your driving history need not be squeeky clean however the allowable points will vary from different insurance companies. I believe it depends on your age and driving record combined.

Comment

Originally posted by Vin-barrett View Post
                I have historic QQ's on one of mine. There is no inspection, you just bring two pictures of the car to DMV. One from the front and another from the side. Pay registration for 3 years between renewals. Noone will physically check your milage except possibly your insurance company depending on your coverage.

That said I would not feel comfortable with these plates on a daily driven E30 in NJ metro area... ymmv
                This all sounds good....

Originally posted by Vin-barrett View Post
                to get classic insurance there are restrictions in that you must have another car registered to yourself with normal insurance coverage and that vehicle can only be a few years old.
                Additionally, your driving history need not be squeeky clean however the allowable points will vary from different insurance companies. I believe it depends on your age and driving record combined.
                But this is may be an issue, i'm 2pt's away from public transportation. What do mean when you say "allowable points"?
                BMWfanaticVR6addict

Comment

What do mean when you say "allowable points"?
                  It means you may have trouble finding insurance if you have too many points on your license. Still doesnt hurt to try...

Comment

My inspection/ABS light was on when I took it through and they didn't say anything.

Comment

anyone that goes to an official state inspection station is crazy....

I hate them and I am willing to pay a local and friendly shop that might help me out a bit here or there....

Comment

Originally posted by BergerNJ View Post
                        anyone that goes to an official state inspection station is crazy....

I hate them and I am willing to pay a local and friendly shop that might help me out a bit here or there....

Figured that out last week..
                        The guy was looking lookin for anything to fail my broke ass at the Rahway station

He asked where my cat was and I pointed to my heat shield lol and he bought it, then tested my gas cap, and finally failed me for a high idle lmao...

Any mod friendly shops in Union county that will pass?
                        BMWfanaticVR6addict

Comment

Working...
                        X