Megan Coilover Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Megan Coilover Install

I’ve had my car running and driving around for a bit over a year now, so I figured it’s that time. It’s time to start throwing money at it in hopes that it handles better. And, as we all know, the best place to start is the suspension. Originally I was considering the tried and true Bilstein Sport/H&R combo, but as much as I hate to admit that looks played a factor in this, they were not low enough. So my solution was to go with a coilover setup. Considering I am on a budget, my selection was pretty limited.

Coincidentally, just a month earlier Megan Racing released their Euro Street line for the E30. I have heard good things about them from my friends with Miatas, RX-7s and 240s so I figured I would give them a shot.

A few days and a couple hundred dollars later I got them in. I was really impressed by the quality. The machining was very clean as was the powdercoating. Based on looks, these are very solid units.

The only problem with these is that they have to be welded. As much as I wanted to do the installation myself, I figured that this is probably not the best project to learn to weld on, so I took it over to the guys at JER Development in Santa Ana.

Front

I’m assuming that if you are starting this project you know to remove the tires and brake calipers so I’ll start after that.

To start out remove the nuts supporting the (2) nuts supporting the hub assembly and the (3) nuts on the strut tower. Now the strut assembly can be lowered with hub and all.

Next (sadly I wasn’t around for photos of this) the strut housing has to be cut from the hub assembly to allow the new sleeve to be welded in place. We left about 2” so that the new coilover can slide over and still have structural support from the inside while it was being test-fitted.

Next the coilover has to be test-fitted to ensure proper alignment and fitment on the car. Once fitment is satisfactory, spot weld while the coilover is still on the car to prevent slight movements.

Now the spot welds should be cleaned up and the surface should be prepped for the final weld.

Once the welding is complete, front coilover is ready to install.

Rear

The rear is more direct. First, pull back the carpeting allowing access to the strut tower, or in this case I simply cut a hole in the carpeting since my coilover will be adjustable.

Remove the two bolts on top of the strut tower and remove the bolt securing the strut behind the brake drum.

Once the strut is removed the spring can be removed and the new coilover and spring can be inserted.

Once the coilovers are installed height/travel/preload adjustments can be adjusted using the collars. And dampening can be adjusted on the top of the strut towers.

Overall the installation is pretty straightforward, minus the welding.

I have driven around on these coilovers around LA for about a few months now and haven’t had any issues with them. There is no noise from rubbing springs that is apparent in some lower quality springs. On the softest dampening, even the bumps on the freeway aren’t too annoying, but in the mid-range setting you really start to feel them.

I haven’t tried them out on their stiffest setting since I have not taken the car out to a track setting, but even in the mid-range the body roll is greatly reduced through freeway onramps and windy roads.

I've also had a chance to mess around with them on the "skid pad," and the adjustability makes it really easy to get the car to perform the way you want it to.

Driving this car with these coilovers is like night v day. HUGE improvement.

The only downside and WARNING, if you plan on installing these with stock wheels/tires be sure to get spacers for the front wheels. Because the strut tube is significantly shorter the tire rubs on the spring. Luckily the guys at JER were able to fabricate a temporary set for me to get me rolling. But if not for them I would be stuck with a car that wouldn’t roll and no way of getting back to the original parts.

PHOTOS:
    The front still sits about the same. The rear settled in and now sits lower. I will post more recent photos.

It was a bit high in the rear, so I removed the collars from the rear spring perch which gave about half an inch. I also drive the car regularly with the dampening at its softest which has allowed the springs to settle.

Thank you! Great write up!

Comment

No problem, when I was looking for coilovers I could never really find anything to detailed on the install, so I hope this helps.

Comment

Were you able to install the rears without dropping the diff as most of the DIY write ups suggest is necessary?

ZF320 | M50 Mani | TRM + 21.5lb Injectors + 3.5in MAF | E36 M3 Rack/Driveshaft | Megan Coilovers | 002R/452's
        In the works: UUC Evo 3/DSSR, JB Racing lightweight Flywheel, Shrick cams, BBK (yet to be determined)
        I NEED A WINGLESS AW TRUNK LID PLEASE PM ME IF YOU HAVE ONE!

Comment

Originally posted by johnjohnsons54 View Post
          Were you able to install the rears without dropping the diff as most of the DIY write ups suggest is necessary?
          It's not really "dropping" it. You just have to take off the hangar bolt and lower it on a jack. It takes an extra 2 minutes or so.

Comment

Roger.

ZF320 | M50 Mani | TRM + 21.5lb Injectors + 3.5in MAF | E36 M3 Rack/Driveshaft | Megan Coilovers | 002R/452's
            In the works: UUC Evo 3/DSSR, JB Racing lightweight Flywheel, Shrick cams, BBK (yet to be determined)

Comment

Originally posted by jaywood View Post
              It's not really "dropping" it. You just have to take off the hangar bolt and lower it on a jack. It takes an extra 2 minutes or so.
              We didn't even find it necessary to do that. Not really sure why you would. Although, this is on an M10 auto, so bigger diffs may be cause different issues.

Comment

Originally posted by johnjohnsons54 View Post
                This has me curious. Why would changing the suspension bits require anything with t the diff?
                sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
                The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Hey guys new to the forum ..wanted to know were to get this kit for my E30
                  And how many arms and leg those it cost

Comment

Oh btw love your project

Comment

IIRC the only reason I did that was so I could pull out the rear springs with ease.

Comment

What type of metal exactly is used on the bottom portion of the Megan coils....the part that gets welded? My fabricator needs to know so that he can do the strongest weld.

The answer, if anyone cares, is simply steel (from a phone call to Megan). They claim a MIG or TIG weld will be fine
                        Last edited by johnjohnsons54; 07-30-2012, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mye30NoHo View Post
                          Hey guys new to the forum ..wanted to know were to get this kit for my E30
                          And how many arms and leg those it cost
                          I got mine on ebay for $850 but I have heard of them going for less. Also If you feel comfortable welding yourself, that will save you a good chunk of change. If not I would take it to a shop that is familiar with this type of project as a crooked weld could be a problem.

Originally posted by mye30NoHo View Post
                          Oh btw love your project
                          Thanks. It's only just begun.

IIRC the only reason I did that was so I could pull out the rear springs with ease.
                          Makes sense.

Comment

i just installed mine... is that the lowest it can go?

Comment

It could go lower in the front with the right offset, but the rear is pretty much maxed

Comment

Working...
                              X