Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New guy over here! My first car as a 1987 325i Convertible.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy over here! My first car as a 1987 325i Convertible.

Alright I bought her 3 months ago on the day when school got out.
    She had only 1 owner. Well technically 2, but the previous one had this car for only 2 weeks and needed the money and sold it to me. But he said that he knows the previous owner really well and always wanted this car from him but now he had to sell it.

Ok im gonna not try to make this confusing so the previous owner said that the previous owner when he was riding it the odometer stopped at 117 thousand and he rode it for only about 7-10 thousand more miles. I dont know if its bs or the truth. So go figure.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought this car with these problems for 2 grand.
    -The convertible top wasnt the best condition and the back window was out.
    -the head unit to the sound system was gone=no music
    -no ac, theres a leak in one of the pipes some mechanic checked
    -interior dirty as crap.
    -one wheel was dented, so when you go 60+ steering wheel and car shakes a lil but then 70+ it stops.
    -the cruise control is completely screwed up. the lil handle wont even stand up straight, so as you see in the photo i just tucked it in there.
    -when you turn on high beams, one of the bulbs are out.
    -ebrake the 2 wires that connect to the brakes were completely out , not even there.
    -right signal light is not working.
    -the odometer stopped at 117 thousand
    -missing windshiel lol
    -weather strip for window
    -and more little things that i cant think of right now. Like cosmetic stuff

This is a salvaged title and i didnt care when i bought it. the second owner didnt know jack about this car and hes just told me that the ebrake radio and the window was out thats it. Didnt tell me anything else. Eh i was just excited about this car haha. My first car.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So i did all the little fixes, know that this is my first car and that im learning about cars now haha. Then i realized that i must of hit hit on the drivers side, because when youll see in the photos that everything on the drivers side it a little bit off. Like the trunk in the front of the car the door is a little off, ect. But you dont see it if you look at it, only if you stare and pay attention to ever little detail.

When i bought this car, it had the original bottle caps on, just only one was in good condition the others had road rash and one was dented a little bit. So i was going to buy some konigs or enkies, but decided i wanted to keep the classic look and get some basket weaves. Found on craigslist 6 of them with tires but with only 3 hub caps for only 250. Sounded like a good deal to me.

I bought a whole new top well used but its in hecka good condition for $250, had to drive 3 hours for it though :/ I just have to learn how to clean the window out really well. I Can see through it good just i saw better.

I fixed the ebrake, went to the junk yard and found some e30 and took the wires out of it well my mechanic did and installed it into my cabrio. That was 100 bucks.

The main thing that bothered me was no audio. So i decided to just buy a head unit. A JVC Digital Media Reciever KD-X80BT costs 200 but my friend works at best buy gave me a friendly discount for 150 :).

So then my brother tried to install it for me, turns out the wiring was completely screwed up and one speaker was missing.
    Okay listen to this. Before my bro tried to install the head unit the whole dash worked fine, the speed o meter the mpg showy thing and the rpm thing worked just fine, then my bro touched some things when he was connected the head unit and my speedometer stopped working and mpg and the rpm on the dash.

Eh i didnt really care then because i had an iphone app the has the speedometer and for the rpm i just heard the muffler. Its so loud haha.

Then i hard to take apart the whole interior and the side doors for the tweeters and had to rerun the whole car audio wires and everything ahh sucked balls. Had to do it in the south carolina summer heat.

So i have a 700 4 channel amp running my sub kenwood 10" bought of craigslist for 30 bucks i got lucky :) ,running on 2 channels so i didnt feel like buying another amp. So i just connected the front speakers and the back speakers to 2 channels. In the front i have 5 1/4" polka audio speakers with tweaters. and for the back i put 4" kenwood 3 way speakers.

I got the amp and all the audio wires for free from a friend :)

So the speaks cost 200 together sub 30 bucks and the head unit 150

so the audio cost me 380 bucks total.

So everything totaly that i fixed cost 980, so i put another grand into this car.

So my right signal light is not working weird. So i thought maybe its the fuse, so i bought the fuses and replaced all the missing ones. and there was one blown fuse, i got so happy so i thought i had it. Turns out the blown fuse that i replaced made the speed o meter work :D but not the rpms or mpg.
    But the weird thing is , if i dont drive my car for about a couple days when its really hot outside and i turn on my cash. The rpm's work for about 10 min then start freakin out and stop working, but my mpg work too but its not accurate and then they stop when the rpm's stop. Idk what it might be. Might be the connections bad or something.

Well back to my right signal light, its wierd because when i turn on my hazard lights they work! but not when i turn on the right signal. and the green light in the dashboard doesnt even light up. just makes the fast sound. So i took out a bulb on the left signal light, and it makes the fast signal light and the green on the dash goes on. Weird.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

So my right signal light still doesnt work,

My cruise control is still the same, i dont really think i need it though.

My mpg and rpms work sometimes after not riding alot but idk if thats a nessacry fix, but it would be nice to get it fixed.

odometer is still not working.

still didnt fix the ac

but i cleaned the crap out of it when i rerun the audio wires. had to take this whole thing apart ahh.

and the one headlight is out.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Since my headlight one of them are out i want to upgrade to the angle hid with projector lights. Thats gonna look pretty sexy.

and in the front im going to change the us standard to a Uk front license plate.

The car at night its really dark inside, so i wan to hid some LEDs to brighten it up a lil bit.

and i wanna get some euro tail lights.

and im removing the gay lil rear spoiler

And since this was wrecked and fixed, you could tell that its not the origonal red. They repainted it more of a cherry a lil darker.

So im going to get a glossy pain job, its going to be a complete bright hot red back to the origonal :). If you open the doors and the lip to put the top in, youll see how bright the red used to be.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

---------

Now with the top down

---------------------

Inside the engine

------
    I was REALLY Confused when i saw this haha.

A Ford Intake? In a Bimmer?
    ---------------------------------------

Little primery fixes
    Missing a windShield
    Cruise Control
    Window Weather strip
    And the bottom lip

As you see this is were im at with my first car age 16. In 3 months i fixed it up a lil but it still has more to be done. Hopefully this car lasts me :)

Got this addition last week the dice, the hula dancer and the flip flops. I think it completes the car look :) Haha.

I just realized how big my photos are. Sorry about that.

Comment

Host at minus.com...

then just copy and paste the forum embed code

Car looks good! Lovely color, however I doubt a wheel is bent if it stops at 70+... wheel bends would become more apparent the faster you go

Comment

Looks good man. That interior looks sweet... except for maybe the hula girl and dice lol. Sounds to me you are starting out in a good spot if you already rewired some stuff. Next thing I would do is paint that bumper trim on satin up front and build a heat shield for the Cone air filter. Interior looks great and looks like you made a steal. Welcome to R3v man have fun!
        sigpic

Comment

ya that sounds like something in the driveline.

Comment

nice same car as me

black zinno mines an 89.

yours looks a little better. I dont know which of us has more annoying things. I have a lot of annnoying things but the cruise does work and I dont think youre gonna fix that.

mine has 216k miles though too.

Ill take pictures soon of mine. I did a lot of the same things. It already had new speakers but i got a new head unit.

main thing wrng with mine at this point is the clear coats peeled off the rear quarter panels.

I actually have 3 panels from junkyard cars on it now that look good, like yours, but it makes the oldy panels look even worse now

Ive been detailing mine a lot and where I am now oother than taking off clear coat in the back is putting mothers back to black on the front grill, the rain gutters near the wipers and the top hatch in the back. Looks like your could use some of that too.
            Last edited by stamar; 08-18-2012, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
              Host at minus.com...

then just copy and paste the forum embed code

Car looks good! Lovely color, however I doubt a wheel is bent if it stops at 70+... wheel bends would become more apparent the faster you go
              Yo fivetoes haha, Actually it was noticable the faster you go just i guess you got used to it and it wasnt that fast, but the wheel did dent the driveline a little bit, but ones i put these wheels on, today was the first day i rode on them, on the freeway went 85, and nothing literally no shakyness through out 0-85, everyone noticed. But i guess the driveline still is bent a lil because when i slow down a bit fast, it wobbles for a second. Idk. But the mechanic said it was the driveline.

Comment

Originally posted by MattBimmer View Post
                Looks good man. That interior looks sweet... except for maybe the hula girl and dice lol. Sounds to me you are starting out in a good spot if you already rewired some stuff. Next thing I would do is paint that bumper trim on satin up front and build a heat shield for the Cone air filter. Interior looks great and looks like you made a steal. Welcome to R3v man have fun!
                Bro i respect the hula girl, shes an air freshener as well ;) Haha.
                Im actually going to repaint the whole car so everything will blend soon, but once i get the money... lol
                What would the heat shield do? and do they sell em at Advanced?

Comment

Originally posted by stamar View Post
                  nice same car as me

black zinno mines an 89.

yours looks a little better. I dont know which of us has more annoying things. I have a lot of annnoying things but the cruise does work and I dont think youre gonna fix that.

mine has 216k miles though too.

Ill take pictures soon of mine. I did a lot of the same things. It already had new speakers but i got a new head unit.

main thing wrng with mine at this point is the clear coats peeled off the rear quarter panels.

I actually have 3 panels from junkyard cars on it now that look good, like yours, but it makes the oldy panels look even worse now

Ive been detailing mine a lot and where I am now oother than taking off clear coat in the back is putting mothers back to black on the front grill, the rain gutters near the wipers and the top hatch in the back. Looks like your could use some of that too.
                  That would be sweet, id like to see them pics.
                  Mann, these little annoying little things are soo annoying, like nobody notices it when they drive with me, but since its my car, it irritates me.
                  But i dont really think the cruise is really a necacery fix? Its not like im going to go on a roadtrip on this car, i trust it. But you never know/ you know? Haha

Ahh, sounds annoying too keep taking them off and on haha,
                  Just my buddy hes really good at what he does, saw his final products.
                  Hes only gonna charge me 5 stacks, for a glossy red finish all around,and the thing is he would do it cheaper just red is the most expensive color, odd. And if you go to macco or somewhere you could get a paintjob for like 200-300 bucks but a really cheap one haha, something that he does, in the shop it about cost a grand to two. and you know the black trip on the sides of the car, that as well, hes just going to keep the silver strip silver, but everything is going to be a solid beautiful red. Hes also going to repain the weather strips as well. Like you said, And my paint is already chipping everywhere you just dont notice it in the pics. Its mainly in the rear trunk area.

Comment

The Ford MAF is because a bunch of Mustang parts are compatable with the E30, like injectors, o2 sensors, and MAFs. Mine has one too, because it's cheaper.

Also get rid of that cone filter for the original Airbox or a proper CAI (I'm happy with KAMOTORS' here on R3v) because that thing is probably costing you a little bit of power.
                    1987 325is, S50B30US, Kamei side skirts, Zender Spoiler.
                    MT2 Wheel, 95 M3 Rack, Condor Speed Shop knob, UUC SSK w/ DSSR, Billy Sports/GE Coilovers, KAMotors CAI.

Originally posted by MclubSport
                    Why you have a badge on wheel ? You do not know what car you have? But if you have a mustache, you know better where is your mouth?

Horrible with responding to PMs, I'm so sorry.

Comment

ya that is a warm air intake. like it literally blocks fresh air and intruces grime to the filter that the airbox would stop. at that point just toss it.

Comment

stock box with k&n drop in filter i feel would be a good intake if your still trying for a more flowing filter.

welcome, you have what seems to be a nice e30 for your first car.

Patrick - IG:niicknac
                        RIP 1987 BMW 325is - S50'd ZF 6-speed, flared, bagged

Comment

1. Interior looks weird, lose the pep boys accessories.
                          2. Replace your SI batteries for the gauges and check the fuses
                          3. Have the AC evacuated and replace the dryer/o-rings anda put r134a in
                          4. Use meguiars plastX on the rear window with a soft terry towel only
                          5. Nice car :)

Oh and dont put angel eyes on it...they arent meant for classics...And there are no euro taillights for e30s. There are startec/MHW smoked and thats about it. If you upgrade the headlights get US or Euro ellipsoids with HIDs.

Comment

love the color mate. clean up the wheels and a slight drop and call it done
                            -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
                            -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
                            MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
                            Got Drop?? ;-)
                            Originally posted by JinormusJ
                            But of course
                            E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

Originally posted by Pocket Chant View Post
                              The Ford MAF is because a bunch of Mustang parts are compatable with the E30, like injectors, o2 sensors, and MAFs. Mine has one too, because it's cheaper.

Also get rid of that cone filter for the original Airbox or a proper CAI (I'm happy with KAMOTORS' here on R3v) because that thing is probably costing you a little bit of power.
                              I was actually looking into buying a KAMOTOR Cold air.
                              But about the ford part, what is it, nd what does it do?
                              Would i be fine with it? or sould i replace it with something else?

Comment

Working...
                              X