painted bottle caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

painted bottle caps

Well... I spent a good amount of time prepping and painting these bottle caps to get the lip a separate color from the center.

Now thats its all done, unfortunately I'm not really liking it. The silver lip just doesn't look how I envisioned it. Its to grey or something. I should have saved myself a lot of time/effort/money and gone with black all over. ...or maybe gone crazy and done a red lip. at this point im too lazy to re-mask everything to do a different color lip, it took forever the first time. if i change it again, its going all black.

what do you guys think?

also, i now have a black and chrome kidney so i figured i test out both. at this point i think chrome is where its at. at least until i get plastic bumpers

98 M3/4/5

Doesnt look too bad, but bottlecaps are bottlecaps. I like the chrome kidneys better. GL

Comment

Black kidney all the way!
      Originally posted by fronton
      He must have been staring right the pole, all the way into it. Happens to me playing mariokart every time.
      sigpic
      1982 F250 Built 351W-sold
      1994 325i-sold
      1987 325es-sold
      1991 318i Slicktop- work in progress

Comment

Do red lip Yolo of it doesn't look cool paint them black.

Comment

It's not too bad, but put the chrome kids back on. Or save up a little cash and buy basket weaves.
          sigpic

1999 528it - Daily Driver “Dad Wagon”
          1991 325is - 2.8L Budget Stroker Garage Slut
          1991 318is - Sold
          1986 325 - Sold

Instagram - Lamoursum

Comment

I will be buying some wheels and tires come christmas so i don't have to live with these very long.

i think ill change them to all black at some point in the next few weeks. maybe try a red lip. but not the whole lip. just the very outer edge. that part thats only like 1/4 inch.
            98 M3/4/5

Comment

I like bottlecaps for what they are. Better than steelies. I prefer the chrome kidneys. Good luck.

Comment

an all-solid color will help the wheels (caps) appear bigger..
                -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Chrome Kidneys. Black kidneys are gay.
                  1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
                  1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
                  1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
                  1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

What'd you use to paint them? I Have a crappy set.
                    1991 325i Calypso Coupe

Like Grandfather, Like Father, Like Son
                    BMW

Comment

I think you did a bang up job...

That being said I think black wheels look stupid no matter what

1987 BMW 325ic - Emma

Comment

Originally posted by Zreberlcoe View Post
                        What'd you use to paint them? I Have a crappy set.
                        I used duplicolor wheel paint from advanced auto.

2 cans of etching primer
                        2 cans of black
                        1 can silver - i actually used 'aluminum' engine paint because i started with duplicolor wheel paint silver and it had a sparkle to it which i thought looked terrible.
                        1 can clear

Started the project with purple power to clean them up. Then sanded with a 3m sponge block. That took a while but the most time consuming and tedious part was taping off each spoke to get black on the center and silver on the lip. i could have saved hours if i just went flat black all over.
                        i went the extra mile by painting the interior of the wheel to. the inside well is sliver and hub-side center is black. I didnt clear coat the inside though.
                        98 M3/4/5

Comment

Bottlecaps are just wack man. Unfortunately painting them doesn't do them any good.

Comment

Originally posted by randomtask37 View Post
                            I used duplicolor wheel paint from advanced auto.

2 cans of etching primer
                            2 cans of black
                            1 can silver - i actually used 'aluminum' engine paint because i started with duplicolor wheel paint silver and it had a sparkle to it which i thought looked terrible.
                            1 can clear

Started the project with purple power to clean them up. Then sanded with a 3m sponge block. That took a while but the most time consuming and tedious part was taping off each spoke to get black on the center and silver on the lip. i could have saved hours if i just went flat black all over.
                            i went the extra mile by painting the interior of the wheel to. the inside well is sliver and hub-side center is black. I didnt clear coat the inside though.
                            Do you know what kind of paint it was? like brand? Because I am really up for doing this! How much did it all cost in supplies? And a close up pic of the rims?
                            Last edited by Zreberlcoe; 11-04-2012, 10:53 AM.
                            1991 325i Calypso Coupe

Like Grandfather, Like Father, Like Son
                            BMW

Comment

^Duplicolor & $40

Comment

Working...
                              X